Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Car trouble. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car trouble. Need help.

I have a 2010 cobalt LT 2.2 5 speed, and i've been having a constant issue with the car dying when I try to crank. I get in the car, put the key in and turn on accessory power. Everything starts as normal, with no indicator of a weak battery. Then I try to crank and the entire car completely dies, and wont even roll start. After boosting, the security light comes on solid, no blinking. Any ideas? Starter? Ignition switch? Shorting out somewhere perhaps? Im at a loss.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If it starts with a jump start, your battery is just weak. it has enough power to power up the accessories and everything key on but the load of trying to crank drains it completely and you need a new battery. again, assuming it starts with a jump.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobraa
If it starts with a jump start, your battery is just weak. it has enough power to power up the accessories and everything key on but the load of trying to crank drains it completely and you need a new battery. again, assuming it starts with a jump.
Car starts with a booster pack hooked up, but won't by rolling and letting the clutch off. It really doesnt seem like a weak battery though. Typically if the battery is weak, the starter clicks, and the lights dim. The car just completely dies, no clicking, nothing. Acts like you pulled the battery out. Im no mechanic, so I very well could be wrong, but from my past experiences, it doesnt seem like the battery.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Have your battery tested and let me know what it tells you.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I agree with Kobraa, just have your battery checked. Most if not all auto parts stores will do that for free. When I have had car batteries go bad I often only see minimal signs of the battery getting weak before some cold morning it just won't crank at all. It's not like you always notice it getting weaker and weaker until it completely dies.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by TooSlowForYou
Car starts with a booster pack hooked up, but won't by rolling and letting the clutch off. It really doesnt seem like a weak battery though. Typically if the battery is weak, the starter clicks, and the lights dim. The car just completely dies, no clicking, nothing. Acts like you pulled the battery out. Im no mechanic, so I very well could be wrong, but from my past experiences, it doesnt seem like the battery.
If you have a simple volt meter, check the battery voltage before turning on anything.
Then check it with the key on and headlights on. If your below 11.8v have the battery tested.
If you have 2 people, check the battery V at the posts, not the clamps as soon as you try to crank it
Old 10-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I agree with Kobraa, just have your battery checked. Most if not all auto parts stores will do that for free. When I have had car batteries go bad I often only see minimal signs of the battery getting weak before some cold morning it just won't crank at all. It's not like you always notice it getting weaker and weaker until it completely dies.
This. This entirely.