Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   CEL Codes (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/cel-codes-327273/)

Wind 01-04-2019 08:09 PM

CEL Codes

So I have a P0420 and P0033.
I'm just going to chop the cat off but would the code for the P0420 disappear if I do? (from what I understand cat is probably not good based on previous posts)
Also would the P0420 cause the P0033 code to appear or do i need to change the Bypass Valve Solenoid?

06 2.0L Supercharged. Also from what I've read this is cause the car from making boost since according to the gauge no longer makes more than like 5 sometimes?

Cleburne Red 02-10-2019 10:11 PM

I'm no expert, but removing the cat is not gonna clear up a p0420, since that code is saying the cat isn't working in the first place.

C0balts5 02-11-2019 08:45 PM

3 options to fix the cat code
1. Replace with oem one or a really good aftermarket one
2. Install catless down pipe and install 02 sensor spacer in the downstream 02 sensor
3. Install catless down pipe and get a tune put on to delete the code.

as far as the supercharger code you may to take it to a performance shop to have it diag first or do some more research. I'm not too familiar with the supercharged cobalts.

Wind 02-11-2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cleburne Red (Post 7707089)
I'm no expert, but removing the cat is not gonna clear up a p0420, since that code is saying the cat isn't working in the first place.

It was more for if I remove it would it change to a different code altogether.

Originally Posted by C0balts5 (Post 7707145)
3 options to fix the cat code
1. Replace with oem one or a really good aftermarket one
2. Install catless down pipe and install 02 sensor spacer in the downstream 02 sensor
3. Install catless down pipe and get a tune put on to delete the code.

as far as the supercharger code you may to take it to a performance shop to have it diag first or do some more research. I'm not too familiar with the supercharged cobalts.

Thanks I’ll try the spacer thing then.

C0balts5 02-11-2019 09:01 PM

You can try a spacer first. Only think I don't like about with doing that is if your cat is starting to come apart and you put the spacer in, yeah the cat code will be gone but if it's bad enough it will break apart and clog up the exhaust.

Wind 02-11-2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by C0balts5 (Post 7707147)
You can try a spacer first. Only think I don't like about with doing that is if your cat is starting to come apart and you put the spacer in, yeah the cat code will be gone but if it's bad enough it will break apart and clog up the exhaust.

yeah I meant to say I’m still cutting it off either way I’m turboing it soon just want to make sure these “small problems” aren’t something bigger

C0balts5 02-12-2019 06:30 AM

That'll be nice. I have a 08 lnf ss. Love the sound of the turbo.