Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Cruise Control stoped working.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise Control stoped working.

Ok, my cruise control no longer works. Ive checked my brake lights ( all are cherry ) , ive disconnected the battery, did not help. Then yesterday I got it to work while I put my foot behind the clutch pedal and lift up, but it'd shut off after 30secounds . So people say its a ''clutch switch'' . Where is the clutch switch located? Ive went under the car to look at the pedals, and all I see is the neutral safety switch in the clutch area.

So the questions I have are

1: Is the part I need for my cruise control called a ''clutch switch'' , if not what's the name?

2: I've went and looked at the clutch pedal, and all I see is the neutral safety switch , so where is the ''clutch switch'' located ?

3: How do I replace the clutch switch? Do I have to pull out the clutch pedal ?

Ive already searched , but it did NOT answer the questions I have.

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 AM

because salvaged..
Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jonathan923
because salvaged..
Because CHEVY! Go search it, me and thousands of other people have the problem. How do you think I found out I had to lift up on the clutch pedal to get it to engage ?

Funny though!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to do the same. Works though.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
that sucks man. I had it goin on, and read up on what i could find, disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes fixed mine Good luck
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by copson20
I have to do the same. Works though.
Ya, wish mine would stay engaged, but after lifting on the clutch, it shuts off shortly after. Need to get it fixed, lots of roadtrips coming up this summer. lol
Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Olybaltss
that sucks man. I had it goin on, and read up on what i could find, disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes fixed mine Good luck
Lucky ! Hopefully I can get it fixed before forum fest, I-5 without cruise control sucks! lol
Old 06-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With mine I had it happen to both the clutch and the brake peddle. For the brake peddle I had to pull it by hand to the left.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SalvageBaltSS
Ya, wish mine would stay engaged, but after lifting on the clutch, it shuts off shortly after. Need to get it fixed, lots of roadtrips coming up this summer. lol
Dude I hope you get if fixed. I could not have made it across Murica with out. Mines was intermittent but it fixed itself so idk.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by alerosaint
Dude I hope you get if fixed. I could not have made it across Murica with out. Mines was intermittent but it fixed itself so idk.
Ya, that would have sucked for you lol . But im about to head off to the autparts store, can anyone be sure that the thing is called a ''clutch switch'' ?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me know how it is to replace, mine works but goes off over bad bumps.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:06 PM

lol i had the samething happened to me after years of owning my previous balt and it only worked when it wanted to
Old 06-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Clutch pedal position sensor is the correct name. Same thing happened to me and I replaced it but the problem is still intermittent. Do your rpms rise a little when you shift?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Just got back from the autoparts store ( ordered part 1 week out ), on my way back the cruise control works flawlessly!!!!!!!!! Oh, stupid car lol
Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
The switch is oriented vertically above the clutch pedal. It's mounted pretty high up in the dash. It's a pain to get to, and difficult to see (you might have to press the clutch pedal to see it). I had it replaced at the dealer (about 5 years ago) because I couldn't figure out how to easily get to it. The switch only cost about $10, but I think I paid for just over an hour of labor to replace it. It was several years ago, so I'd have to check the invoice to tell you for sure. One thing to note is that the switch is adjustable. The switch body is threaded and you can adjust it by loosening the plastic nut on it and then twisting the switch to raise or lower it in the bracket. Your switch might only need to be adjusted.

I had the other clutch switch go out on me too a couple of years ago, but that one was much easier to fix. In fact, the switch is really simple. I just took it out, disassembled it, bent it back into shape, and reassembled and reinstalled it. I bought a new one as a backup, and it is still in the packaging.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:58 PM

Yeah if you look it up on shop key it explains to you how it has to be adjusted but I assumed it was good out of the box since it was brand new
Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 PM

In my opinion I believe the reason we have to do that is because the pins that connect the cable to the shaft of the transmission which is located on top of the tranny is known to get worn out. I feel it gets so bad that it creates slop in the pedal creating a bad position of the pedal itself and kicking out the cruise control. The positioning sensor again in my opinion is a waste of money because its where it needs to be, its the pins that are bad and causing slop in the pedal. I am in the works of replacing it but haven't had the time yet to do so.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM

That's probably right because I've replaced the sensor twice and the problem is still intermittent. Works when it wants but it seems to not work more than it works
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by steveobed
That's probably right because I've replaced the sensor twice and the problem is still intermittent. Works when it wants but it seems to not work more than it works
Yes and that's because the pins are bad, and not to mention why would we even have to pull back on the clutch with our foot lol? I dont think gm engineers anticipated on that, so them pins are what I believe is the culprit here. Just another good ol' Chevy hook up right their lol, and it should be recalled in my opinion (the whole car)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by MrSlickSter06SS
Yes and that's because the pins are bad, and not to mention why would we even have to pull back on the clutch with our foot lol? I dont think gm engineers anticipated on that, so them pins are what I believe is the culprit here. Just another good ol' Chevy hook up right their lol, and it should be recalled in my opinion (the whole car:lol
This!! Wish GM would come take it off my hands lol Lately my cars been fighting me every month with something breaking , and its really getting old cause its a low mileage stock car, and whats more frustrating, is that im not the only one having the problems, its all over the internet lol
Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM

This!! Wish GM would come take it off my hands lol Lately my cars been fighting me every month with something breaking , and its really getting old cause its a low mileage stock car, and whats more frustrating, is that im not the only one having the problems, its all over the internet lol
you are absolutely right, I loved my car, loved, now I can't stand it so much that's junk on it. Truthfully I wish they would give me my money back or give me the new Camaro haha. Seriously though, I am looking to get a WRX STI next year but out a sc on it with the turbo lol. I'm kidding.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

you are absolutely right, I loved my car, loved, now I can't stand it so much that's junk on it. Truthfully I wish they would give me my money back or give me the new Camaro haha. Seriously though, I am looking to get a WRX STI next year but out a sc on it with the turbo lol. I'm kidding.
I still like my car, just wish Gm would have done better on certain parts of the car, but then again it is just a cheap ecobox, and there are more expensive cars out there that give you way more issues lol .
Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 AM

I still like my car, just wish Gm would have done better on certain parts of the car, but then again it is just a cheap ecobox, and there are more expensive cars out there that give you way more issues lol .
yes this is true lol. I do like my car and I appreciate it, and value it, but enough is enough. Issues on top of recall after recall.. Ridiculous..
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM

Yes and that's because the pins are bad, and not to mention why would we even have to pull back on the clutch with our foot lol? I dont think gm engineers anticipated on that, so them pins are what I believe is the culprit here. Just another good ol' Chevy hook up right their lol, and it should be recalled in my opinion (the whole car)
I never had to pull back on my clutch pedal haha tried it once when the problem first started and it didn't help so I just ruled that out from the start.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by steveobed
I never had to pull back on my clutch pedal haha tried it once when the problem first started and it didn't help so I just ruled that out from the start.
everyone's situation wouldn't be exact I wouldn't think lol.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control stoped working.