Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Do block heaters and superchargers mix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do block heaters and superchargers mix?

I have an 07 ss sc, when i bought the car i asked if it had a block heater (like i do any other car) the sales guy said yes of course. Later i find out there is no block heater so i go back and tell them, they tell me that my car doesnt need a block heater and it will be just fine. This morning i get up it is about -22C outside and my car doesnt start. (i live in canada) So i call the dealership again and talk to another guy, he informs me NOT to get a block heater because it will wreck the supercharger. Is this true? He said something about how the block heater causes the oil to get warm and that is what will do the damage.

He instructed me to pick up a battery blanket and put that on it.

So now im talking to my friend who's taking some mechanic classes or something and i tell him and he says that they're pissing around with me; and that a block heater will not do anything to the supercharger.
Does anyone have any advice? should i or should i not put a block heater in my car!!!
Imo i'd think it would be better instead of just having a warm battery... isnt it hard on everything to start really cold? It gets to -40C where i live...
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 PM

I live in New Brunswick Canada, and have had zero issues with the car starting in the peak of winter.

I have it for 2 winters now, both cold as F#%@ and it started everytime, you won't need a block heater, I dont know of a Cobalt SS having a block

And a block heater has nothing to do with the supercharger, so no it wont mess with anything
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM

I live in Saskatchewan. I haven't heard of a car here that doesn't have a block heater. unless it sits in a heated garage over nights.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
block heater messing up the blower, thats a new one. service guy is obviously an idiot.

the block heater was never offered on an ss/sc model. im sure a kit could be put on it, one from a 2.2l should work.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 AM

Go get a blockheater. They are the same for any other Ecotec engine. They are expensive but worth it. It is -35C here now in Alberta where I live and I have it plugged in. Starts EASILY in the morning.

Also, a blockheater does not heat up the oil in the car. It heats up the coolant inside the block which keeps the engine warm and easier to start.

Whomever told you that it would wreck the supercharger needs to have a block heater attached to his head because his brain must be frozen.

Last edited by DoubleLP; 12-14-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-14-2008, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP

Whomever told you that it would wreck the supercharger needs to have a block heater attached to his head because his brain must be frozen.
LOL.

And yeah you should get one asap it's only gonna get colder...

Also anyone that lives in Canada and says they don't need a block heater cause their car starts fine without it is an idiot IMO. Sure their car starts but they are lying to you and themselves when they say it started fine...
Old 12-14-2008, 02:20 AM

i live in canada and i had to move my car tonight and it started ok. however im just outside of vancouver bc, right now we are having what will likly be the coldest weather of the season, its -7*c right now (thats 19*f).

and the reason i said it started ok is cause it was sluggish. if its like this at -7, i bet it wouldnt start at -15.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 AM

-7??? I WISH!!! It is -35C here, -45C with the windchill. There is no question that the car HAS to be plugged in when it is this cold.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe i remmeber looking at this before i bought the car the 2.2's and 2.4's had block heaters but non for the 2.0 dunno why...im wishing i did have it now though its freaken cold (yes i know vancouver it never gets cold like alberta or w/e but we're in the negatives for high's and lows of the day now -5 and under too we're a wet cold though )
Old 12-14-2008, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
-7??? I WISH!!! It is -35C here, -45C with the windchill. There is no question that the car HAS to be plugged in when it is this cold.
yea i agree, its not that cold but it is cold for us. as stated, its always wet here. ive been in -20 in alberta before, -5 were i am feels colder than -20 in alberta.

i think the reason the ss/sc doesnt have a block heater is because it is a performance car, and performance cars arent supposed to be driven in winter. i know thats a bs excuse, but do corvettes come with block heaters???
Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 PM

I agree that a cold day on the coast is a lot different then here in Alberta because you have humidity all the time, where in Alberta it is a dry cold. The crappy part about the cold here is that it usually stays for weeks and weeks, not just a couple of days.

I was very surprised to find out that my car did not have a block heater. You would think that every car that is sold in Canada would come with one because winter does happen here. I know the dealership here in Fort McMurray does put them on all cars and trucks because you can not have one here in northern Alberta.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Mine doesn't have one either but it starts in -40, not very good but it starts. Sythetic helps out a bit since you still at least have oil coating on most parts vs conventional. Still not good for the motor.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jschatte
LOL.

And yeah you should get one asap it's only gonna get colder...

Also anyone that lives in Canada and says they don't need a block heater cause their car starts fine without it is an idiot IMO. Sure their car starts but they are lying to you and themselves when they say it started fine...

Ok i quess I am an idiot then! I live in Canada, and havent had any problems starting my car in the winter, sure those real cold days its sluggish to start, but again...2 cold winters in and not once would it not start. I would love to have a block heater but the car never came with one, hense why i dont plug it in! if i had one i would.

IMO only idiots make statements like yours
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Its not just the one sales guy saying it'd be fine with no block heater, my mom talked to a guy who orders in parts for cars or something and he was saying the samething... there so stupid, i can't wait until i can get my ass down to the dealership and tell them where to go with all of this!!! NEver again will i assume asking if a car in canada has a block heater is a stupid question. Even though when i did ask his response was "Oh yeah of course it has a block heater this is canada" and what do you know, no damn block heater.

yesterday i got my road side assistance to come boost me, i let it run for about 40 minutes then shut er off.. about 2 hours later when it was time to go to work i tried turning it over and again it wouldnt start. I'm beginning to wonder if its not my battery.

But anyways when i do go down to the dealer to get my block heater, do you guys think it would be worth areguing and bitching the point that when i bought it i was under the impression that it HAD a block heater, since i specifically asked the sales guy (with 3 witnesses in the room) and he said yes. because frankly, i cant afford to just dish out 300 bucks on something i thought i had. and i had asked about a month and a half ago if i should get one, before it got too cold and again he said no.
so now here i am!! -42C no car, can't get to work!.. its costing me like 1000 bucks already.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuikSilverSS
Ok i quess I am an idiot then! I live in Canada, and havent had any problems starting my car in the winter, sure those real cold days its sluggish to start, but again...2 cold winters in and not once would it not start. I would love to have a block heater but the car never came with one, hense why i dont plug it in! if i had one i would.

Ever take a bottle of 5w30, chill it to -35 and try to pour it? Your engine will take more **** and abuse in the first 2 minutes of a non heated -35 start than it will in a month of driving in more civilized temperatures.

But it's your car so.....meh.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuikSilverSS

Just curious, what do you consider cold? cause i know the coasts don't get as chilly as central canada... If you're anything like BC anyways

What do you guys figure about getting a magnetic oilpan heater and a battery blanket, apposed to a block heater?

Last edited by random2323; 12-16-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 AM

im in alberta too, my car has been sitting at home frozen solid since friday. It wouldnt even start with a boost, it was -40.

Any idea if a battery blanket will help any while i try to get a block heater installed?

How much is it for the norm 2.2l block heaters? they work fine correct?

Im gonna boost it today its only -16 now.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by OverbooSSt
im in alberta too, my car has been sitting at home frozen solid since friday. It wouldnt even start with a boost, it was -40.

Any idea if a battery blanket will help any while i try to get a block heater installed?

How much is it for the norm 2.2l block heaters? they work fine correct?

Im gonna boost it today its only -16 now.

Well im driving an 07 2.2L supercharged, I was told from the dealer that putting a block heater into a s/c is sorta an inconvenience. its gonna cost 200 for parts and 250 for labor. thats was my quote anyways.
It will work fine, its not going to wreck your car in any way.

I was thinking about maybe getting an electric oilpan heater and a battery blanket instead of a block heater, just cause it'll be alot cheaper (i hope, still looking into that) I can't really afford to just dish out 500 bucks. but then again my car has been sitting dead for the past 4 days now... Do you know if thats just as good as a block heater?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Since the SC has nothing to do with the block, I cannot see how a block heater would have any bearing on the SC function. Most definately not going to hurt to have a block heater.

Most synthetic 5w oils have pour points to about -45, which means that you should be ok to start the car up to -40C or -35F. I don't think I would want to start it if it was much colder than that without a block heater though...
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM

I might be able to help:

The Chevy dealership in Edmonton told me that a block heater for the SS/SC was going to cost about $200 (for the cord and heater). SoI called the local automotive store (Canadian Tire) and they told me they have one for the SS/SC for $57. I am getting Canadian Tire to install the block heater on Saturday. Just to be sure, I asked the service representative from the Chevy dealership whether an aftermarket block heater would void warranty. They said that it would only void warranty if they could prove the block heater is what caused the problem.

Hopefully everything works out!

Did anyone find out about the oil pan heater? Thanks!

Last edited by laserblue07; 12-16-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by laserblue07
I might be able to help:

The Chevy dealership in Edmonton told me that a block heater for the SS/SC was going to cost about $200 (for the cord and heater). SoI called the local automotive store (Canadian Tire) and they told me they have one for the SS/SC for $57. I am getting Canadian Tire to install the block heater on Saturday. Just to be sure, I asked the service representative from the Chevy dealership whether an aftermarket block heater would void warranty. They said that it would only void warranty if they could prove the block heater is what caused the problem.

Hopefully everything works out!

Did anyone find out about the oil pan heater? Thanks!
Oil pan heaters are pretty universal, they are just a heated sticker so they could would on anycar with an oil pan pretty much. However they are fairly expensive, i saw one at CT for over $100, and blockheaters>oilpan heaters anyday
Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 PM

for the money they are charging, canadian tire will likley put an inline heater on yours, like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1229485850000 . the ecotec cant use a conventional block heater that goes into a frost plug hole in the block, this is because we dont have frost plugs. the ecotec block heater is in the water pump housing.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
for the money they are charging, canadian tire will likley put an inline heater on yours, like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1229485850000 . the ecotec cant use a conventional block heater that goes into a frost plug hole in the block, this is because we dont have frost plugs. the ecotec block heater is in the water pump housing.

So it would be better to just get one from the dealer?

Woooo!!! Wish me luck guys! Tomorrow i'm getting my car towed to the dealer and gonna throw a bitch fit on their asses! Hopefully i'll come home with a block heater for free!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
Its not in the housing. They bolt to the back side of the block underneath the exhaust manifold. I just put one on.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM

Welll.. i'm getting my block heater!! it might not be for a bit cause they're ordering the parts, but woop.

Silly, cause yesterday i went and talked to mechanics and sales managers and they all told me that i cant/shouldnt get a block heater in my car and they werent gonna get back to me until monday.
My dad calls this morning talks to the same guys.. not sure what he said yet, probably the same **** i was trying to tell them, and voila.. the manager calls my cell phone and says that they're ordering the parts i wanted, and tells me to give him a call early next week when i am able to get an appointment in the shop so he can talk to me in person there.

Just fyi; While going from dealership to dealership yesterday, i've noticed alot of them for some reason get the Turbocharged and Supercharged mixed up. Turbos Cannot have block heaters installed; where as Supercharged can

Quick Reply: Do block heaters and superchargers mix?