Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Do You Have Headlight Harness Rot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do You Have Headlight Harness Rot?

Alright guys, I am suffering from headlight harness rot to the point that my passenger headlight can now decide when it would like to work. After some investigation, the red wire on the main headlight harness (attached to the body) is becoming loose. I can move the pin and the light will come on and off.

I am not a guy that likes to half ass things, especially with my car. My only options in my head were to buy the whole harness:

Or to buy this and splice and terminate:

In my opinion to do it really right would be to just replace the entire harness and also as a PM on the other headlight connector because that also gets corroded from water. Also, the price of the connector kit x 2 (for the other side) would be more than the whole harness off eBay, and trying to find out directions on swapping the whole harness seems to be almost impossible.

Today I just stumbled upon these little gifts of heaven over on another forum (all credit goes to 'Lampoon' over at G6performance) and it is exactly what I need:

Since this is a common issue with our cars, I figured I would share the links with all of you. Who knows, maybe it'll get a sticky somewhere.

150 Series Sealed Delphi Packard Metri-Pack Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic

150 Series Sealed Delphi Packard Metri-Pack Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic

Cheers,

Ryan
Old 12-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I just read more than j should. Dielectric grease. Goes a long way.

I have sold hundreds of headlight bulb harness due to corrosion. The issue was and will be poor placement of the connectors. I run mines under the light and never had an issue. What you can do is just buy regular deutch connectors and make a new connection. Make it plug and play.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a harness for sale if anyone needs one
Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
I put a dab of dielectric grease in all my connectors I could access when I got both my cars, never had a problem. I would do the pigtail if that's the only corroded connector but solder and use weatherproof heat shrink. Then dielectric grease the rest to prevent future problems.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:11 AM

The corrosion isnt too much of an issue with mine, its the connector in the back on the chassis wire harness that is loose causing the open in the circuit.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
This is common? Iv never heard of it at all for our cars, iv had car for 7 years and haven't had even a hint of an issue with it. I pull my lights often for tweaking or changing of hid system when I want something new and my harness and wires look perfect
Old 12-15-2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
This is common? Iv never heard of it at all for our cars, iv had car for 7 years and haven't had even a hint of an issue with it. I pull my lights often for tweaking or changing of hid system when I want something new and my harness and wires look perfect
Apparently. The placement of the connectors is pretty shitty. The top of the fender right under the hood acts like an aquaduct and just dumps water behind the headlight area. After it rains, or you wash the car, pull a headlight and you'll see the puddles.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem with my connector but it was my brown wire that was not making a proper connection to the connector pin so it was constantly turning my parking light on and off. Dielectric grease did not help make a proper connection, so what I did was pull out the brown wire along with the connector pin, crimped the connector pin ever so slightly, put brown wire and pin back into the connector assembly, plugged in my headlight harness and BAM constant power to my parking light now. Its been good now for a month.