Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Failed Inspection for Inner Tie-Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 176 Likes on 137 Posts
Failed Inspection for Inner Tie-Rod?

Ok, I took my car to get inspected, they failed me for what they called an inner tie-rod end. I don't really know what they are calling an "inner" tie-rod end. I know where the tie rod end is that you can plaintly see when you pull the wheel off. Anyway, I asked him to show me how they knew the tie rod was bad. He took me into the gargae, and on the passenge side, he grabbed ahold of the front of the wheel and the back of the wheel and shook it and then says thats how you check the tie rod. When I got home I did the same thing, but when I do it, the wheel has a little play, but it seems like the tie-rod has nothing to do with.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen to him. The inner tie rod is inside the steering rack boot. It can be felt my experienced mechanics shaking the wheel side to side with a certain force. You can only see the outer through your rim, it attatches to the inner. You will need a special inner tie rod removal tool to do it yourself followed by a wheel alignment. Some people just replace the entire rack which includes 2 new inners.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always get a second opinion from another garage.
How well do you know the garage?ask around are they trust worthy.
I always find it odd when its somethimg that fails that they know you cant see and Ive had lots of vehicals with lots of miles and never replaced one of those.
Your cars only a 2007 I find it hard to belive and I dont recall ever seeing it posted on here.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
You can always get a second opinion from another garage.
How well do you know the garage?ask around are they trust worthy.
I always find it odd when its somethimg that fails that they know you cant see and Ive had lots of vehicals with lots of miles and never replaced one of those.
Your cars only a 2007 I find it hard to belive and I dont recall ever seeing it posted on here.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. You can't see it, so I would says its really just a guess, and a way for them to try and make $323.43, on a $40 Moog part. 323.43 was the estimate they gave me..... I told them hell no that I'll be able to do it my self.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by guitarenvy
Listen to him. The inner tie rod is inside the steering rack boot. It can be felt my experienced mechanics shaking the wheel side to side with a certain force. You can only see the outer through your rim, it attatches to the inner. You will need a special inner tie rod removal tool to do it yourself followed by a wheel alignment. Some people just replace the entire rack which includes 2 new inners.
I'll have to look into that... the rack has 2 new inners... thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
Thats exactly what I was thinking. You can't see it, so I would says its really just a guess, and a way for them to try and make $323.43, on a $40 Moog part. 323.43 was the estimate they gave me..... I told them hell no that I'll be able to do it my self.
Yeah probably .5 of labor for the install. Then like 1.3 for the alignment.
Looking at almost 2hrs labor. Thats 200$ then they have their shop fees and disposal fees and the mark up on the part of course.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:19 PM

haha.sorry. "inner tie-rod". maybe meant "tie-rod ends". if some play, car on jack stands, check balljoints by tryin' to pry the control arm up and down. if still not sure take it to another shop

Last edited by ben_gary; 10-01-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:27 PM

I just replaced the ball joints with moog greasable ball joints last year, for inspection... it seem like every year they try and hustle more money out of me, but I keep doing the work my self. I think they take me for a a fool, then when they see that I can do the work, they give in and pass the car.

I've been searching it, I just ordered the inner tie rods for the both sides. It was 67.80 shipped, from Rock Auto. not to bad, I'll have to go to like auto zone and rent the the tie-rod removal tool, once I have that in hand, it should only take about 5 minutes to change this thing. I will be compairing the way it feels for the before and after.

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 10-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 PM

its cool to play dumb sometime at some shops, then do the repair yourself and show them what you finished for way less money.haha.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Wow to strict..... This is sad
Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 AM

yeah sucks but I'll deal with it.

They also said they recommend new struts based on the milage on the car, and new brakes. Well when I told them I had the struts were replaced under warrenty a little over a year and a half ago at about 47000 miles, that changed thier minds on that, and he said "well we were just suggesting it based on the amount of miles on the car, we didn't really look at them so you may not need to replace them." This had me thinking, why did they check the tie rod and not the struts, I mean it is part of their inspection check list.

They also tried to sell me some off brand OEM type **** brakes for 80 plus installation. I pretty much told him to shove those brakes in his ass, by saying and I quote "No I don't really wat to buy your no name overpriced brakes, when I can go out and buy Hawk pads or EBC pads, for less. Plus when it comes to my brakes I don't trust your chinese knock off brakes. I want something that has proven it self to work"

They were working harder on trying to get me to get work done then they were on the inspection.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Thats his leverage,fix it or I wont pass it!
I havve stories like yours and so does everyone else.
They dont make any money off the inspection it a goverment thing.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
Thats his leverage,fix it or I wont pass it!
I havve stories like yours and so does everyone else.
They dont make any money off the inspection it a goverment thing.
Well needless to say I won't be going back there. I'll be going to the dealer for now on. There are like 5 chevy dealers within 45 minutes from me. RK Chevy, Colonial Chevy, Hall Chevy, Priority Chevy, and Hampton Chevy. Hall Chevy does there inspections free if the car fails, and 16 if it passes... so i know they are not making any money off the inspection. Priority chevy does free inspections on all GM vehicals. problem with them is that they are so far from me.... but for now i will be making a trip to the dealer for inspections.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by guitarenvy
All you need is a pipe wrench, no special tool required.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Ok I'm going to vent. I'm tired of seeing threads bashing mechanics. I myself am a tech at pepboys. We get customers like you all the time who come, get there car inspected, then get mad thinking that we are ripping them off and talk **** as we throw you out the door. We have a job to do like any other person. You're bringing your car to be inspected which is required by state law here in NYC to be done 1 time every year. I'm sure its the same by you. Anyway, the mechanic ran you through inspection and found a bad inner tie rod. That's an automatic failure here, only if it has a lot of play and is un safe. You know what happens if we pass a car and let that car go and the inner tie rod fails and takes someones life? We lose our inspectors license and our jobs, AND we have to live with that for the rest of our lives. When you come in for inspection, or anything, we must inspect your car completely and bring to your attention the problems we have found. It is entirely up to you to do the work or not.

If you work on your own car, there is no problem with that. You don't go and throw that in a mechanics face and act like a ******* *******. If you were doing it for a living you'd see how it is. How the **** is this shop hustling money out of you? They are finding things that are wrong with your car that are required for the safety part of the inspection. If you don't want any problems when you go for an inspection why don't you inspect your own car and fix what can cause it to fail? Its our job to recommend services for certain mileage intervals, we are not ripping anyone off. If your knowledgeable enough to know you can go a little longer on your struts, good for you. By you coming on here and acting the way you are, your acting like the biggest douche ever. I can't stand people like you who come to my shop to have your car fixed because you don't know wtf your doing and your telling me you know everything and can fix it yourself. If you knew what you were doing you'd be able to keep your car in good shape to pass the inspection. You didn't even know what an inner tie rod is, that just goes to show you your lack of knowledge. And yeah, I want to see you do an inner tie rod in 5 mins. I bet you'll be on here begging for help within seconds of getting the tire off. And I bet when your done the toe on that side will be fucked up beyond epic propulsions, and you'll end up towing the car to a shop and ranting again how they are ripping you off for bringing the car in in pieces.

To the other guy that says they tell you fix it or we won't pass it. Did you know that what we are required by state law to do? We are suppose to Fail you no matter what, and even if you do the work charge you for another inspection and re inspect the car. That goes for mostly every state that I can think of. We are trying to save YOU money.

Last edited by Phil424; 10-03-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Well I wasn't going to do this but I'm feeling like an ******* so I will.

Ok I'm going to vent. Your really saying your going to bitch, because the sand in your vagina is making it hurt. I'm tired of seeing threads bashing mechanics. Not all mechanics, just the ones that are out to rip people off like the pepboys mechanic that failed me with out looking at half the car, and not being a state inspector. I myself am a tech at pepboys.Funny how that works, and I'm sorry you have such a shitty job. We get customers like you all the time who come, get there car inspected, then get mad they we are ripping you off So are you admitting that they do try to rip people off, because that what is sounds like you said. and talk **** as we throw you out the door. There was no throwing, but even the Service Manager agreed with me that they should not have tried to sell me the marked up cheap off brand brakes. We have a job to do like any other person.That is true, although your sucks and the pay sucks, I had a friend that didn't take a job at pepboys because the pay sucks that much You're bringing your car to be inspected which is required by state law here in NYC to be done 1 time every year. I'm sure its the same by you. Anyway, the mechanic ran you through inspection and found a bad inner tie rod. That's an automatic failure here, only if it has a lot of play and is un safe. Well right there you screwed your self because if its automatic failure, how can you say only if it has a lot of play. That right there tells you the safety aspect of an inspection is all a matter of opinion You know what happens if we pass a car and let that car go and the inner tie rod fails and takes someones life?I work on Naval Aircraft, and inspect them all day I know how this works don't try that with me. If I miss miss something that is ever so slight people will die We lose our inspectors license and our jobs, AND we have to live with that for the rest of our lives. Well then why did the inspector let a 22 year old kid that was not on the shop inspectors list inspect my car. The inspector himself was sitting on a computer the whole time my car was in the shop. Later on the kid even admitted to not looking at certain parts that are on the inspection checklist. When you come in for inspection, or anything, we must inspect your car completely and bring to your attention the problems we have found. You mean the problems you created in order to get more money out of the customer.It is entirely up to you to do the work or not.

If you work on your own car, there is no problem with that. You don't go and throw that in a mechanics face and act like a ******* *******. Well how would you like it if someone tried to charge you $80 for $33 part and then they wanted $300+ to install it and you knew it was a rip off, then they tried to get you to buy other over priced parts, and get work done struts that they never even looked at. If you were doing it for a living you'd see how it is.Doing what ripping people off? How the **** is this shop hustling money out of you? When the shop does not make money on inspections, they then turn to failing people so they will get work done Hmmm sounds like hustling to me. They are finding things that are wrong with your car that are required for the safety part of the inspection. If you don't want any problems when you go for an inspection why don't you inspect your own car and fix what can cause it to fail? I do look at my car quite often and I had it on a lift about 2 hours before I checked out most things they check on inspections and seemed fine to me. Also something with minor play I call good might not be good to someone else. Doing an inspection on anything is not just plain pass or fail. Most of it is open to opinion. Like the allowable play on a inner tie-rod. So it really depends on how that person feels that day Its our job to recommend services for certain mileage intervals, we are not ripping anyone off. NO, if I come in for an inspection, then your job is to inspect the car, nothing more nothing less. If your knowledgeable enough to know you can go a little longer on your struts, good for you. They didn't even look at the struts he admitted to that, this shows you the standards that pepboys has. The inspector trusted someone else to do it, and then the kid says he didn't look at something? Sound sketchy to me By you coming on here and acting the way you are, your acting like the biggest douche ever. No I'm just sharing my experiance at a shitty shop which just happens to share the same name yours does, and is known for shady work. Only reason I went there was because I wanted to get it done that day. I can't stand people like you who come to my shop to have your car fixed because you don't know wtf your doing and your telling me you know everything and can fix it yourself. Well there hasn't been anyproblem with any of the cars I've owned or currently own that I coudn't fix, so i must know enough. If you knew what you were doing you'd be able to keep your car in good shape to pass the inspection. You didn't even know what an inner tie rod is, that just goes to show you your lack of knowledge. Well they said "inner tie rod end" I don't know if you know this or not, but there is no inner tie-rod end on our cars, its just the inner tie-rod. Thats why I was asking about an "inner tie-rod-end." And yeah, I want to see you do an inner tie rod in 5 mins. It's a simple job it'll take 5 mins to swap out the part once the car is in the air and the tire is off. I bet you'll be on here begging for help within seconds of getting the tire off. Not a chance I have an shop to do the work at, I have everything I need And I bet when your done the toe on that side will be fucked up beyond epic propulsions,Funny you say that, because the auto shop on our base that I do my work at has a tech that does alignments for $15, thats one of the many benifits of having a auto hobby shop on my naval base and you'll end up towing the car to a shop and ranting again how they are ripping you off for bringing the car in in pieces. Sorry that'll never happen either

To the other guy that says they tell you fix it or we won't pass it. Did you know that what we are required by state law to do? We are suppose to Fail you no matter what, and even if you do the work charge you for another inspection and re inspect the car. That goes for mostly every state that I can think of. We are trying to save YOU money.
Well I talked to 3 of the many chevy dealers in the area and 2 of the said they do not charge for failed inspections, and the other one said they charge you 16 (required by state), but the reinspect within 15 days is free.

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 10-02-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Phil424
Ok I'm going to vent. I'm tired of seeing threads bashing mechanics. I myself am a tech at pepboys. We get customers like you all the time who come, get there car inspected, then get mad they we are ripping you off and talk **** as we throw you out the door. We have a job to do like any other person. You're bringing your car to be inspected which is required by state law here in NYC to be done 1 time every year. I'm sure its the same by you. Anyway, the mechanic ran you through inspection and found a bad inner tie rod. That's an automatic failure here, only if it has a lot of play and is un safe. You know what happens if we pass a car and let that car go and the inner tie rod fails and takes someones life? We lose our inspectors license and our jobs, AND we have to live with that for the rest of our lives. When you come in for inspection, or anything, we must inspect your car completely and bring to your attention the problems we have found. It is entirely up to you to do the work or not.

If you work on your own car, there is no problem with that. You don't go and throw that in a mechanics face and act like a ******* *******. If you were doing it for a living you'd see how it is. How the **** is this shop hustling money out of you? They are finding things that are wrong with your car that are required for the safety part of the inspection. If you don't want any problems when you go for an inspection why don't you inspect your own car and fix what can cause it to fail? Its our job to recommend services for certain mileage intervals, we are not ripping anyone off. If your knowledgeable enough to know you can go a little longer on your struts, good for you. By you coming on here and acting the way you are, your acting like the biggest douche ever. I can't stand people like you who come to my shop to have your car fixed because you don't know wtf your doing and your telling me you know everything and can fix it yourself. If you knew what you were doing you'd be able to keep your car in good shape to pass the inspection. You didn't even know what an inner tie rod is, that just goes to show you your lack of knowledge. And yeah, I want to see you do an inner tie rod in 5 mins. I bet you'll be on here begging for help within seconds of getting the tire off. And I bet when your done the toe on that side will be fucked up beyond epic propulsions, and you'll end up towing the car to a shop and ranting again how they are ripping you off for bringing the car in in pieces.

Sucks NYC charges for each inspection. In Stl you can have a reinspection for free. But I completely agree with you phil. Although I stopped reading this thread after coming upon yours. Your just doing your job. Yeah shop charges are outragious and double charge on parts and as far as labor.. Well whatever. But your paying to have your car fixed. If you can fix it yourself do it. I'd pay someone 12 bucks to find something wrong with my car in a heart beat if it meant not figuring it out myself sometimes. Inner tie rods go bad. If its has play why would it pass safety?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM

just out of curiosity are you replacing just the one or both ?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
We'll see. I have an auto garage at my disposal, with every thing I need to do this. I'll show you I can do it in 5 mins. Hell i might not even go to the shop to do this, i might just do it in my parking lot.
i take no sides in this war but after having done this specific job myself it takes more then 5 mins even with the proper tools and an air ratchet.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bryce712
just out of curiosity are you replacing just the one or both ?
I'm changing both driver and passenger side inner tie-rods. I'll be swapping the tie-rod end eventually with the moog greasable tie-rod ends.

The hardest part of this is going to be locating my lug nut lock. parts will be here wednesday.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM

mmk then.. i was just going to suggest replacing both since your already gunna be in there no sense in having to pay for it again if you dont have to... good luck to ya
Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the joys of no inspections
Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 PM

i wish that was the case. it would have saved me 2 hours of my day saturday swapping my dp back and forth
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Phil424
All you need is a pipe wrench, no special tool required.
you fail, hard.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think he knows which part I'm changing. A pipe wrench will not fit. I was looking at it yesterday, I could use a crows foot and an extention, with my air tools, but like i said the hardest part of this will be finding my lug key.... which I'm still looking for.

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection for Inner Tie-Rod?