Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

gauge cluster/power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge cluster/power steering

I have an 06 ss/sc. its been doing this on and off and recently just started again but its worse. My security light comes on and my gauge cluster goes out. the only one that works is boost gauge, rest just bounce around. dash says i have no fuel, no power steering and so forth. usually power steering didnt go out but its out now. when i try turning the car, it doesnt even click over, after several attemps it eventually turns over. i have a new battery and alternator.. anyone have an idea of what would be causing this?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a number of things,
1)Start with the ground.( check that the connection is tight and wires look okay)

This ground has the steering modual and IP as a common point
G201 is located- Behind the left side of the I/P to the right of the steering column(Think its just above the pedals)

2)Check the ip fuse is seated properly in the under hood fuse box

3)your ignition switch could be going bad(do you have lots of keys and junk hanging from your key ring)
The only way to know for sure is to check for voltage at the IP/Ign fuse when the ignition is on and the lights are not working

4) just bang on the fuse box when the lights dont work and see if they come on (with ign on)eliminate the fuse box

I will go with bad ignition switch with it being a 06 ,let me know what you find.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Tjohnson30,

Am I understanding correctly that you are losing your power steering at times? If you would please send me the last 8 digits of your VIN as I would like to see if this falls under a safety recall.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM

I checked fuses and stuff. not sure which box is the G201 but everything looked fine. i havent turned my car in about 24 hours or drove it since issue. i just went out to start it to see what happens and it turned fine along with gauges working and power steering, idk. it happens on and off, im guessing its a short or somethin
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM

same problem

i am having the same problem with my 06 cobalt ss, i have contacted gm directly and my car has been in the shop for 2 weeks now. they cannot duplicate the problem but it is throwing out a lot of computer codes. so whatever the problem is with these cars is causing a lot of malfunctions, especially with the power steering shutting off. i have video of the car doing it but they need to have it happen to them so they can hook it up to a computer to try to pinpoint the problem. i will post back when and if they find something.... it is also throwing out a misfire code which is from the manufacturer not putting the correct size fuel injectors in these cars, that's not a recall but a recommended upgrade to fix that problem.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by smoke14scc
i am having the same problem with my 06 cobalt ss, i have contacted gm directly and my car has been in the shop for 2 weeks now. they cannot duplicate the problem but it is throwing out a lot of computer codes. so whatever the problem is with these cars is causing a lot of malfunctions, especially with the power steering shutting off. i have video of the car doing it but they need to have it happen to them so they can hook it up to a computer to try to pinpoint the problem. i will post back when and if they find something.... it is also throwing out a misfire code which is from the manufacturer not putting the correct size fuel injectors in these cars, that's not a recall but a recommended upgrade to fix that problem.
I see you have already contacted us on this, smoke14scc. Do you have a case open? If you were to send me that case number I could look and see if there are any updates for you.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
I don't think this is related to the PS Recall, as a lot of other devices are effected. I used to have this happen to me. It seemed to happen about every 3 months for a year... then it basically went away. Only seen it once or twice since then. Very random.

20080406 video by USMCFieldMP - Photobucket

Is that about what you are experiencing? I made that video in March 08... and I still have no idea what it was for sure. I could never track it down, but it seemed to be BCM related... as everything the BCM controlled would go dead. When the gauges go limp, the Auto Volume on the stereo would drop as well, Cruise Control won't work, Power Steering won't work, etc. First place I'd say to start are the grounds. After that... good luck. Most definitely BCM related though, in one way shape or form.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM

USMC thats exactly whats mines doing.. its been on and off for about 2 years now but it goes on for days to weeks when it happens. totally forgot that the radio volume also cuts in and out. but yea my dash says "No Fuel, No PS, my "brake light" comes on and off. dealer couldnt find out what it was either so i havent bothered since,
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM

exactly the same, mine also says power steering and cuts power steering out. TJohnson, does your power steering cut off and stay off till you restart the car? and to Sarah, i do have a case open which i am talking to Jeremy on, case number 71-1012467894
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Ok Gents.... you have a smaller problem than you think, I may be still a little new to the site but if I say something it is always from personal experience. You both are facing a bad ground, most likely the one on the tranny. I had the same problem about 2 months ago, spent countless hours and money at various shops and the dealership trying to figure out what was causing this to occur. Time and money wasted with no results. One day i got fed up and threw a large adjustable wrench while the ignition was in the on position and something strange happened. the wrench made contact with the blower and frame at the same time, and when it did it sparked ALOT. So i decided to try bolting a 3' long piece of 4 guage amp wire from the motor mount to the strut tower and bingo she fired up better than she ever did before, also noticed the gauges were brighter. after this i Picked up an HKS grounding kit from Andys, just cuz the amp wire looked ricer as f**k. Never had the problem again, try it for yourselves. If it works its free, if not .... well its still free. Good luck gents.

Here's the link for the kit: HKS Circle Earth System Universal Kit for 05-up Chevrolet Cobalt at Andy's Auto Sport
Old 12-22-2011, 12:54 AM

actually thats what used to happen, now it just stays off. but its running ok so far.. and danny will doing that fix PS, gauge issue, and starting up?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:27 PM

yes it will.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by TJohnson30
USMC thats exactly whats mines doing.. its been on and off for about 2 years now but it goes on for days to weeks when it happens. totally forgot that the radio volume also cuts in and out. but yea my dash says "No Fuel, No PS, my "brake light" comes on and off. dealer couldnt find out what it was either so i havent bothered since,
Yeah, mine started in early '08. It would happen randomly for about 3 days... then I wouldn't see it again for 3 months... it'd happen for 3 days... then I wouldn't see it again for 3 months. Rinse and Repeat.

If it was my grounds... then it'll most certainly be fixed when I put my engine and trans back in the car in the spring. That was part of the problem I had with trying to diagnose my problem... is that it wasn't a constant thing.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by smoke14scc
exactly the same, mine also says power steering and cuts power steering out. TJohnson, does your power steering cut off and stay off till you restart the car? and to Sarah, i do have a case open which i am talking to Jeremy on, case number 71-1012467894
Good morning, smoke14scc,

Thank you for getting me that information. I looked into your service request and see that your agent is scheduled to make a call out to your dealership today to discuss the vehicle data recorder.

If you have further questions, I am happy to help as best I can but would recommend contacting Jeremy for updates.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just like to say any type of steering loss while driving should be a warranty fix no matter what.
The electric steering (drive by wire) is not a maintanence item like brakes or a serpentine belt .If you were to lose the steering on a corner who knows what would happen.
If you didn't cause the problem(modify wiring in anyway) and can prove its failing which is sometimes hard
Then you should be able to get it fixed at no cost because trouble shooting intermitten electrical problems is time consuming and costly at shop rates.
Gm has a vast data base of all these things that occur and likely causes but we have to pay for the dealer to find out what it was.

So let's put up the fixes for these issues so we have are own data base on this site that can be searched for free!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM

well what does it take to get something covered under a recall that hasn't been issued yet?? i have to pay now for them to install a data recorder to pinpoint the problem. maybe its better to just drive the car how it is and when i wreck, then my insurance company can figure it out... so frustrating.....
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 AM

I am having the same issues!!

I feel like mine might be a bit worse. I am stalling out, and windows won't go down. DIC just reads "-- miles left" etc. Battery voltages are fine.

Did anyone solve this?!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 PM

well i tried the 4gauge amp wire from the motor mount to the strut mount and it didnt fix the problem because everything started acting up again today so idk anymore.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 PM

gm had mine for 6 weeks and couldnt duplicate problem. i had it back for 2 days and it did it twice.. I love the car but this will be the last chevrolet I will ever purchase..
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM

im haveing the same issues this needs to be a recall its getting rediculas
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 PM

I am also having this issue now. Tried to disconnect the battery, no change. Unplugged the TCM, no change.

Right now the systems affected are: Power steering: gone. Fuel gauge: fluctuating. Speedometer: fluctuating. Tachometer: Fluctuating. A/C compressor: won't turn on. Outside temp reading: bouncing between real temp and --. Neutral Safety switch clicks repeatedly with brakes applied. Transmission shifts hard into reverse and drive. When driving it shifts slowly.

I have had a mild issue before where the key and lock around it would illuminate, the gauges would fluctuate a little and the transmission went default high pressures, but cycling the key would usually eliminate the problem.

2007 Cobalt LS Coupe, Automatic 2.2 here.

No radio issues or light dimming issues. Also, does not start on first turn of key, must hold key in start for a couple seconds and it starts.

Fluctuates gauges with key on, engine off so that rules out the alternator.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DC02
I am also having this issue now. Tried to disconnect the battery, no change. Unplugged the TCM, no change.

Right now the systems affected are: Power steering: gone. Fuel gauge: fluctuating. Speedometer: fluctuating. Tachometer: Fluctuating. A/C compressor: won't turn on. Outside temp reading: bouncing between real temp and --. Neutral Safety switch clicks repeatedly with brakes applied. Transmission shifts hard into reverse and drive. When driving it shifts slowly.

I have had a mild issue before where the key and lock around it would illuminate, the gauges would fluctuate a little and the transmission went default high pressures, but cycling the key would usually eliminate the problem.

2007 Cobalt LS Coupe, Automatic 2.2 here.

No radio issues or light dimming issues. Also, does not start on first turn of key, must hold key in start for a couple seconds and it starts.

Fluctuates gauges with key on, engine off so that rules out the alternator.
I'm sorry your Cobalt is having so many difficulties; are you planning on getting it looked at? Let me know if I can be of any assistance!
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM

I will once I feel confident the dealer can correct it without just throwing parts at it. Read too many horror stories here and other message boards how they assume and replace the TCM only to have the problem come back. I don't have the money to just throw at guesses right now.

Thank you for your offer though Sarah, will definitely message you once I decide to take it in. They have done the power steering motor 3 times in this car as well, any way I can tie that back to this issue?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM

I will once I feel confident the dealer can correct it without just throwing parts at it. Read too many horror stories here and other message boards how they assume and replace the TCM only to have the problem come back. I don't have the money to just throw at guesses right now.

Thank you for your offer though Sarah, will definitely message you once I decide to take it in. They have done the power steering motor 3 times in this car as well, any way I can tie that back to this issue?
Good morning DC02,
I understand. I hope you can get some good insight from the community here!
Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM

I am having the same problems, except i am also almost stalling out when i come to a stop and sometimes do stall out.

I am afraid that i might need a new TCM, but i also am not sure if this will solve the problem and i dont have the money to constantly keep throwing money at it.

And this is getting to the point of needing something to get fixed because it almost caused an accident the other day. But i cant take it to my local dealership because they charge me $120 and cant figure out what is wrong with it.

Originally Posted by Danny_Cin
Ok Gents.... you have a smaller problem than you think, I may be still a little new to the site but if I say something it is always from personal experience. You both are facing a bad ground, most likely the one on the tranny. I had the same problem about 2 months ago, spent countless hours and money at various shops and the dealership trying to figure out what was causing this to occur. Time and money wasted with no results. One day i got fed up and threw a large adjustable wrench while the ignition was in the on position and something strange happened. the wrench made contact with the blower and frame at the same time, and when it did it sparked ALOT. So i decided to try bolting a 3' long piece of 4 guage amp wire from the motor mount to the strut tower and bingo she fired up better than she ever did before, also noticed the gauges were brighter. after this i Picked up an HKS grounding kit from Andys, just cuz the amp wire looked ricer as f**k. Never had the problem again, try it for yourselves. If it works its free, if not .... well its still free. Good luck gents.

Here's the link for the kit: HKS Circle Earth System Universal Kit for 05-up Chevrolet Cobalt at Andy's Auto Sport
Do you have a write up on how to do this, i am not to mechanically inclined but would like to try this before throwing $100+ on another possible fix.

Quick Reply: gauge cluster/power steering