Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

GM STG 2 Install wierd sounds after car is off from evap area.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM STG 2 Install wierd sounds after car is off from evap area.......

So here is my question for everyone.... does this happen to your car as well or is there something wrong here?

GM Stage 2 Kit was installed by the dealer on a 2006 SS SC. After you drive the car, park, shut the car off and walk towrds the back of the car you hear all sort of noises coming from under the car.... fuel tank / evap area.

hissing, ticking, and something buzzing... the hissing sounds like its letting pressure out? or letting air out? lord knows... after about 5 min with the car being turned off the sounds go away...

Is this normal? Is it from the evap? Is something loose? Any ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm clueless about this one... spent the past 2 days trying to figure it out... next option is to have the guy take it back to the dealership to find out wtf the problem is....

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

I hear a "knock knock knock" sound sometimes from back there but I'm told that's normal.

Sometimes while the car is running and sometimes after I shut it off. Not very often.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM

That knock-knock is the evap canister's purge cycle. It is a normal sound produced when it runs it's purge. I'm not sure how frequently the purge occurs or what is considered to be normal, but mine purges at startup, shut down and while resting at a light. Seems a little excessive to me, but I don't know. Anyone with a little bit more info on this purge cycle, feel free to contribute.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Karo
So here is my question for everyone.... does this happen to your car as well or is there something wrong here?

GM Stage 2 Kit was installed by the dealer on a 2006 SS SC. After you drive the car, park, shut the car off and walk towrds the back of the car you hear all sort of noises coming from under the car.... fuel tank / evap area.

hissing, ticking, and something buzzing... the hissing sounds like its letting pressure out? or letting air out? lord knows... after about 5 min with the car being turned off the sounds go away...

Is this normal? Is it from the evap? Is something loose? Any ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm clueless about this one... spent the past 2 days trying to figure it out... next option is to have the guy take it back to the dealership to find out wtf the problem is....

Thanks in advance.

exaust cooling off! ...the contracting metal causes ticking, hissing, and other strange noises...and due to the fact that your exaust is going to run hotter after STG 2 it is probably more pronounced than normal.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM

yea i get the ticking noises sometime and i dont even have stage 2.. my geuss is that its normal... on another note.;. how noticeable are the gains with it?