Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

High RPM After Cleaning Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joel
I don't use my gears to slow down, and never have. It's a stupid way to drive and causes unnecessary wear on the clutch.
Wow your stupid. When you rev match your downshifts like you should be, there is absolutely no wear on the clutch.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
Wow your stupid. When you rev match your downshifts like you should be, there is absolutely no wear on the clutch.
i use gears to slow down and have never had this issue either
Old 04-19-2009, 08:55 PM

If the clutch is being used, then it is being worn. Why do you think you have to replace them eventually? Every time you engage and/or disengage the clutch it experiences a certain amount of friction, that is what makes it work. This friction is what causes the clutch to wear out eventually. It's science. So when you downshift while slowing down, regardless of how smoothly you're doing it, or how well you are "matching your downshifts," you are wearing the clutch.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
i ALWAYS use my gears to slow...ALWAYS and dont have this prob
+1

That's wrong.
+2

+0.5

Originally Posted by shawn672
i use gears to slow down and have never had this issue either
+1

Seriously though, I have seen MORE than a few ETBs get messed up from cleaning solution getting into the electronic parts of the TB. It is possible when you sprayed it, some of the cleaner dripped down the shaft that the blade is screwed to and dripped on to the motor, or the sensor in the ETB.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kodatech
+1

+2

+0.5

+1

Seriously though, I have seen MORE than a few ETBs get messed up from cleaning solution getting into the electronic parts of the TB. It is possible when you sprayed it, some of the cleaner dripped down the shaft that the blade is screwed to and dripped on to the motor, or the sensor in the ETB.
Well that's initially what I thought happened, which is why I bought a new TB. But after putting on the new TB, the problem remained the same. So now I know that the issue is not with the TB. I think the ECM isn't figuring out that it can change the idle position to account for the extra air flow provided by a clean TB.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM

How long have you been driving with the new throttle body?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kodatech
How long have you been driving with the new throttle body?
3 Days. All three of those days included a 52 mile round trip commute to work.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SportredSS
It's not the throttle body, sensors or hoses knocked off.... It's the driver... I tested this theory 4 times: When I changed from letting the car(slow in gear {Preferably 4th}, right foot lightly on brake, left foot disengage clutch once rpm falls under 1800 rpm)>>>>> to using the gears to slow the car {which rasies rpms}, my idle would jump up to 1500 rpm from normal 800 rpm when stopped at a light and bounce a little even....... Went back to letting the car slow in the gear its in {typically 4th}, the rpms dropping- not rising, and take right foot off throttle and put on brake lightly, car continues to slow, rpm still dropping, then disengage clutch at 2000-1800 rpm or so... and apply light braking... No more high idle...... When a person uses the gears to slow, the rpms jump up and the ECM remembers this and plays with the idle speed at a stop.....

DONT USE YOUR GEARS TO SLOW THE CAR DOWN....... It's that simple ... I've tried it too many times now....
if you're seeing a sporadic idle after coasting down in gear, most likely its a control overshoot in the system. make sure that you're not dropping it below about 800. if you've kept the car in gear slowing down, the system has been cutting the fuel (if in the right conditions). as soon as the clutch is engaged, computer has to supply fuel to keep the engine running - hence the overshoot to 1500ish, and then a couple of bumps as it tries to correct for the overshoot. if you want that problem to go away, stage 2 is better than stock, but still not perfect.

as for the clutch wear, the clutch wears when its being slipped. when you're completely on or off the clutch, there is no wear going on. unless you're slipping the crap out of it trying to use engine braking to slow you down, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm still trying to get this sorted out, I've been emailing back and forth with the dealer. I am thinking I just need a reflash. The guy at the dealer doesn't think that will fix it, he says he thinks it's the Idle Air Control Valve. But do Cobalts even have one of those? I didn't think that they did.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no the cobalts do not have an IAC valve. thats what i originally thought when mine started doing
Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM

bump for a solution

I have the same issue after installing an LSJ TB
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by pat_07ss
bump for a solution

I have the same issue after installing an LSJ TB
you cant drop an lsj tb on this car without a tune, last i heard
you likely damaged the connector, these things are a pain to get off and if you force them off, you will break them
you need to pull the grey plastic back, then use a pin or small flathead and push down on the black plastic tab and then pull out at the same time
its a pain in the ass
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by shawn672
you cant drop an lsj tb on this car without a tune, last i heard
you likely damaged the connector, these things are a pain to get off and if you force them off, you will break them
you need to pull the grey plastic back, then use a pin or small flathead and push down on the black plastic tab and then pull out at the same time
its a pain in the ass
no that was easy, and I know its not damaged because when I reconnected my stock TB it worked

you don't need a tune with an LSJ TB on a 2.4
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 PM

guys we need to find a solution for this... I will ruin my clutch driving around like this
Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 AM

I think it's a matter of the ECM learing the throttle position at idle. I would have the codes cleared and see if the idle changes.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by GXPFire
I think it's a matter of the ECM learing the throttle position at idle. I would have the codes cleared and see if the idle changes.

what's the difference between clearing codes with a scanner and unplugging the battery?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Maybe a GM case relearn. Air Leak or throttle body connector is damaged. Im sure you have tried undoing the connector and reconnecting.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Maybe a GM case relearn. Air Leak or throttle body connector is damaged. Im sure you have tried undoing the connector and reconnecting.
CASE is for the crankshaft no?
I've done one of those after getting my ECM tuned by Vector already, and it cost me $50.
Why do you think a CASE relearn would help?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
It probably won't do anything.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by pat_07ss
what's the difference between clearing codes with a scanner and unplugging the battery?
Unplugging the battery doesn't always clear codes, esp. on newer cars. Clearing the codes will for sure reset your fuel trims and whatnot.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:39 PM

I wish I had read this before I cleaned my tb
mine is running at 2500rpm. Did anyone find a solution?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Smiles
I wish I had read this before I cleaned my tb
mine is running at 2500rpm. Did anyone find a solution?
Nope. I'm still having the issue. I have yet to find anyone who's been able to fix it and give me a straight answer about how they fixed it. I'm still thinking a reflash is necessary, but I don't want to spend $100 to get it done unless I'm sure it will work.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive never had mine off yet but I have a few question to help come up with a solution.

1) when removing the throttle body is the plate closed or open and if open how far approx.

2)Does the throttle plate move freely to open it when cleaning or do you have to force it open with slight pressure.

3)Did any one try removing the motor that opens and closes it then clost the throttle plate all the way and reinstalling it.

4)What tell the pcm or ecm that the throttle plate is closed.

I have some info I will post to help ,maybe someone can use it to figure out whats happening.

Reference info;

Throttle Body Assembly
The throttle assembly contains the following components:

• The throttle blade

• The throttle actuator motor

• The throttle position (TP) sensor 1 and 2

The throttle body functions similar to a conventional throttle body with the following exceptions:

• An electric motor opens and closes the throttle valve.

• The throttle blade is spring loaded in both directions and the default position is slightly open.

• There are 2 individual TP sensors within the throttle body assembly.

The TP sensors are used to determine the throttle plate angle. The TP sensors provide the powertrain control module (PCM) with a signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. The TP sensor 1 signal voltage at closed throttle is near the 5-volt reference and decreases as the throttle plate is opened. The TP sensor 2 signal voltage at closed throttle is near the low reference and increases as the throttle plate is opened.

Normal operating mode

During the operation of the throttle actuator control (TAC) system, several modes or functions are considered normal. The following modes may be entered during normal operation:

• Minimum pedal value--At key-up the powertrain control module (PCM) updates the learned minimum pedal value.

• Minimum throttle position (TP) values--At key-up the PCM updates the learned minimum TP value. In order to learn the minimum TP value, the throttle blade is moved to the closed position.

• Ice break mode--If the throttle is not able to reach a predetermined minimum TP, the ice break mode is entered. During the ice break mode, the PCM commands the maximum pulse width several times to the throttle actuator motor in the closing direction.

• Battery saver mode--After a predetermined time without engine RPM, the PCM commands the battery saver mode. During the battery saver mode, the TAC module removes the voltage from the motor control circuits, which removes the current draw used to maintain the idle position and allows the throttle to return to the spring loaded default position.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coblasts
Ive never had mine off yet but I have a few question to help come up with a solution.

1) when removing the throttle body is the plate closed or open and if open how far approx.

2)Does the throttle plate move freely to open it when cleaning or do you have to force it open with slight pressure.

3)Did any one try removing the motor that opens and closes it then clost the throttle plate all the way and reinstalling it.

4)What tell the pcm or ecm that the throttle plate is closed.
1. Plate is not closed -- it is in a relaxed state and double spring loaded. When you turn off the engine the TB goes to a closed position and then releases after the engine stops. You can hear this if you listen closely.

2. No it is spring loaded both ways and needs to be pushed closed -- or open to clean. It will return to the relaxed state after pressure is released.

3. No...not a good idea -- calibrated probably.

4. TB plate position sensors -- what some of the wires go to.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 PM

has anyone gone and had the DTC cleared. as mentioned before if you erase codes even if there is none you will reset the tables for fuel and i believe spark? to be honest it sounds like the PCM is stuck in the warm up cycle not sure but clearing the codes is often free so give it a shot GL

Quick Reply: High RPM After Cleaning Throttle Body