Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Horizontal shifting extremely hard (shifter cables)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horizontal shifting extremely hard (shifter cables)

hi everyone !

so i have a 2008 tc and for a couple of weeks now my shifter is extremely hard to shift into all gear horizontaly like putting the shifter in 1st is hard but shifting into 2nd is ok then shifting into 3rd is really hard but 4th is ok...and so on.

I dropped the car at the dealer this morning and the guy there just told me it was a shifter cable problem that needed to be replace.

I still have my 5 year 150 000 km (i'm in canada) warranty but the full warranty since i'm over 60 000km.

they told me it cost 285$ for the cable plus 2-3 hours of time so near 600$...I have the feeling i'm getting rubbed.

What do you guys think ? is this supposed to be covered by the warranty since it's a part attached to the tranny....just want some input pleaaaseeee

thank you !

Last edited by lebulbe; 12-07-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 AM

The following components of the transaxle and drive systems are covered by the Powertrain warranty:
Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case: Case,
all internal lubricated parts, torque converter,
transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals,
and gaskets.
Drive Systems: Final drive housing, all internal
lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant
velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal
joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential
actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings,seals and gaskets.

I hope this is helpful,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
there is no question that shifter cables are a warranty item, but I doubt that there is a problem with them, Cobalt shifter cables are very good.
BUT talking about putting your car back to a stock tune when this site is monitored by GM is really not wise.

In fact, speaking of not wise, running an aftermarket tune on a TC with winter RVP gasoline is really not a good choice. This site and others is full of folks with blown up turbo cars due to really unfortunate tunes.

Stock or GMStage1 is best for your Turbo, and even then with GMstage 1 I would be very cautious in the winter with the possibility of getting a load of bad gas, so check your gauges and monitor knock...

Hopefully if ur problem is cables, GM will fix it with out an issue, and hopefully, thats all that is wrong. 3rd gear is a real troublesome part of the transmission, the main shaft can flex in 3rd with the torque of that engine, or from shock when the tires go from spinning on ice to grabbing hard grip on clear pavement, and then the mainshaft punches a hole in the bellhousing. Car still works, but hard to get into 3rd, and there is an oil leak.

worst case. Hope its not you.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah i heard about the 3rd gear thing but in my case it's not only the 3rd gear but every shifter horizontal movements (left, right) that are hard to make. to shift from 2nd to 3rd I use my knee to help push the shifter to the right and then i can lift up to engage the 3rd....just to give you an Idea.

so when you say it's warranty item do you mean even if I only have my drivetrain warranty left ?

If i read the post from Chevrolet Cust Svc i'm not sure where the Shifter cable would fit in the description....

thanks again !
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Former Vendor

shifter cables are covered. so is the lever at the trans, the linkage and the shifter box in the car imho.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
shifter cables are covered. so is the lever at the trans, the linkage and the shifter box in the car imho.
ok....I called GM owner canada and they told me it's not warranty...if it is how do I prove it ?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

I think you should get a diagnosis from a GM tech first. I am not sure how GM would deny warranty on shifter cables; I can find out. PM or email me john@powellraceshop.com I will see how I can help you, but please note I will not be able to do anything until Wednesday this week I am jammed with other work ...cheers
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
I think you should get a diagnosis from a GM tech first. I am not sure how GM would deny warranty on shifter cables; I can find out. PM or email me john@powellraceshop.com I will see how I can help you, but please note I will not be able to do anything until Wednesday this week I am jammed with other work ...cheers
well they did....i ordered the part online for 120$ shipped instead of 285$ plus tax at the dealer. honestly i will never go back to a gm dealer except if i'm 100% sure the problem is under warranty....it cost me 360$ and to only thing they did is detect the shifter cable problem and fix a throttle wire to supposedly clear my check engine....30 seconds after i started the car the check engine is back...i'm really pissed off right now.

i'm gonna read the check engine code my self tomorrow and see...i don't mind to pay but I want results...
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM

meh.....I checked the code of my Check engine and it's P2227....supposed to be related to the MAF i think

I have a K&N CAI...any suggestion ?