Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

I need a new stronger starter.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a new stronger starter.

Hello. I have stage two cams and heavier springs and when chevy last put my clutch in the start didn't have much umph. I was wondering if there were particularly stronger starters than the OEM one. I have had an issue ever since getting it and today It just spins now. I think the starter gear broke. It could be a missing flywheel tooth but it was making a constant bad noise when it was spinning.

Any help and or suggestions?

I actually was going to my car to add a capacitor to the starter circuit for more juice and it is completely spinning now. Not such a good day.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know that any particular company sells a high torque starter for our car's because typically it just isnt necessary. I'm curious, how heavy are those damn springs that your stock starter is having problems? I've never heard of this situation before.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just 78#ers. I think GM just gave me a crappy rebuilt starter. I just looked at it and it looks older than the car is. I am just going to buy a new one and hope it just has better torque. It could have been a weird solenoid also. But it is too late at this point.

It turns the belt when I try in the beginning so I assume it is just the starter gear teeth are gone/ too worn for good enough grip. I can hear the starter spin freely after a split second. Does this sound about right?
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are hearing it spin freely, assuming your flywheel doesnt have teeth missing, then the solenoid is likely bad. I'd just replace the whole starter if your having problems with it that bad. There is an advance auto in penns grove 8 miles from you, go on the advance auto website, pick out the toughone starter (reman), buy it online using the coupon code TRT30. (30% off) and select pickup in store. Lemme know how it works out for you.