Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

I've had enough.... Not getting the SS/TC...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had enough.... Not getting the SS/TC...

14 miles past the 36,000 mile factory warranty on my 06 SS/SC and one of my vent caps on the inside just randomly breaks... As something as small as this issue is, it hasn't been the first. And my carpet (that I just replaced like a little over a year ago) is wearing already again....

F*ck this car, I can't wait until it goes back. At 6k miles I had a crank sensor go out on me, a little later shift cap come off, clothes hanger break after I only had hung a plastic hanger with 4 pairs of jeans on it, plastic rail in my sunroof snapped and I couldn't close my sun-roof for two days, let's see what else, oh both my key fobs had to be replaced (and it wasn't the batteries I had checked) and both of my satin trim door panels had to be replaced because the paint was peeling like it wasn't even funny. Also every once and a while (hasn't happened since this summer) but my driver's side door lock locks up on me and I can't get out of the drivers side door. Yeah...

Granted the engine and tranny have been just fine (knock on wood) and if GM knows how to make anything right it's an engine and transmission, but the rest sometimes I wonder if they even have a clue...

But overall quality on the Cobalt (in my experience) sucks...

All within owning/leasing this car for 29 months... My Cavalier that I had before had held up better than this and it was a 2yr old used car with 63k miles and I had driven it for 4 years... And I can only pray to GOD that within the next 6-8 months that nothing else breaks...

Despite all these little issues I liked the Cobalt SS/SC, and I had a pretty good experience with it except with the above mentioned, and I was planning on getting an 09 SS/TC... Until today... Now that's out of the question. I'll never buy another compact car from GM again that's all I know...

Oh and whoever says oh "It must be the driver..." can go and F*CK themselves because I babied this car. Not a single mod, oil changes every 3-6k miles, I washed and vacuumed, treated the leather seats, and cleaned the interior at least once a week between April-Oct and I usually clean it in the garage once every two weeks throughout the winter... I've taken very good care of this car...

I also realize that many (hopefully most of you) haven't had problems but for myself and for those that share my pain it sucks. Because I think most of us love our balt's but there's only so many problems that I think we can all take...

My next car will either be a 09 Impreza WRX or a 07-08 Nissan 350Z....

/rant

Last edited by SS4EVER; 11-02-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 PM

That sucks man I feel for you. There are always lemon cars in the bunch. Who knows your next car could be even worse, though I really hope not. Good luck with your next car
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM

That sucks man...I'm in the process of dealing with the lemon law people because gm refuses to give permission for anymore work to be done with my car.... And go for the 350!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks guys. I'm just really frustrated, and I'm always wondering what's going to happen next? You know? I don't think enough has really happened for me to consider it a "Lemon" although it certainly feels that way some times.

The issues that have happened with my Cobalt aren't like major engineering flaws or some really major issue. It's cheap quality plastics that GM uses to try and save a few extra $'s here and there. Granted they have to do what they have to do, but this doesn't help them. And you wonder how they've gotten into the position they are in now.

I'm not saying I won't ever buy a GM car ever again, definitely not, but I've been there and have done that with their sub compact cars and I hope that the Cruze is a major improvement over the Cobalt, especially in regards to quality.

Yeah, I'm shooting for the 350Z, believe it or not I'm finding some good deals on them too, seeing the 370Z is on its way over and this is the last MY for the 350. Hopefully I'll be getting my hands on one in as soon as 6 months from now.

Just really hoping the car holds up for the remaining months that I have it now without a warranty.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 PM

My 06 SC the cruise stopped working, the boost gauge didnt work and the shift knob cap came off right after picking it up. My new TC has a squeeky sunroof and a blown rear speaker right off the dealer floor...but my 06 loaded Japanese made Nissan Muranos gear selector sticks when in sport shift making it useless to shift manually. Bought the TC because I didnt want to spend bigger bucks for WRX or 350. WRX is imo kinda fugly and 350 costs to much for car with lsd etc. However they dont get much more reliable than wrx. Probably your best choice.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Put name here
My 06 SC the cruise stopped working, the boost gauge didnt work and the shift knob cap came off right after picking it up. My new TC has a squeeky sunroof and a blown rear speaker right off the dealer floor...but my 06 loaded Japanese made Nissan Muranos gear selector sticks when in sport shift making it useless to shift manually. Bought the TC because I didnt want to spend bigger bucks for WRX or 350. WRX is imo kinda fugly and 350 costs to much for car with lsd etc. However they dont get much more reliable than wrx. Probably your best choice.
Yeah, I love the SS/TC and I wanted to get one. But for the reason of all the things that have happened with my SS/SC I don't want to have to deal again with with the SS/TC or more... And I've had my SS/SC for three years, do I want to be driving another Cobalt for 5 more years?

The 09 WRX isn't the best looking WRX and I agree. Also I just got a quote from a dealer and it's going to cost me for a Premium 28k-31k.... Not cheap at all...

I found an 08 350Z base (w out LSD, and steering wheel mntd controls) for like $24,995 still in the dealer showroom with only like 5 miles on it.

Used "enthusiast models" are going for like 26k with low miles so we'll see...
Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
You'll really enjoy a 350Z. Way better car all around. I love the hell outta mine.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM

One thing about 350Z...one of the best exaust notes out there. And its one of few remaning nissans still made in japan.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SS4EVER
Yeah, I love the SS/TC and I wanted to get one. But for the reason of all the things that have happened with my SS/SC I don't want to have to deal again with with the SS/TC or more... And I've had my SS/SC for three years, do I want to be driving another Cobalt for 5 more years?

The 09 WRX isn't the best looking WRX and I agree. Also I just got a quote from a dealer and it's going to cost me for a Premium 28k-31k.... Not cheap at all...

I found an 08 350Z base (w out LSD, and steering wheel mntd controls) for like $24,995 still in the dealer showroom with only like 5 miles on it.

Used "enthusiast models" are going for like 26k with low miles so we'll see...
38-31 k for a wrx? You could find some 06 and 07 STi's for that with not too horrible milage. Thats what im doing in 6 months
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by OzzyruleZ
You'll really enjoy a 350Z. Way better car all around. I love the hell outta mine.
That's awesome! I know I've seen quite a few css.net members buying 350Z's... I'm hoping to be driving one too.

Like what you have I'm considering a base Z, how does she do without the LSD?

Originally Posted by Put name here
One thing about 350Z...one of the best exaust notes out there. And its one of few remaning nissans still made in japan.
Yeah they do sound good. Found an 08 base with only 5 miles on it sitting on a showroom floor and they are asking $24,995 for it. If it wasn't for my lease I'd be on it like a fly on sh*t...

Originally Posted by HickOverLOrd
38-31 k for a wrx? You could find some 06 and 07 STi's for that with not too horrible milage. Thats what im doing in 6 months
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that. Yeah 28k after tax, title, doc and plate fees @ invoice and 31k after all said and done @ sticker....

I just don't want something that's has too high miles, is almost new and still has some warranty left because it'll be my daily driver, although if I do get the Z I'll be dropping
like $1,500-$2,000 for a winter beater...
Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM

sux you're having the issues you are, but I'm gonna be a smart-ass for just a sec and point out the irony of your screen name

all in fun man
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Sucks, only problem I had was the drivers side seat belt wouldn't retract back. 24,000 miles later not a single issue. Not even the sunroof button. I did have the shift knob come off at like 5,000 miles but super glue fixed that for good.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Do search on autotrader for 06 and 07 imprezas and put in the max price for 31k. The first few sti's have pretty much nothing for miles and still brand new. Warranty and all
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by arkkornkid
sux you're having the issues you are, but I'm gonna be a smart-ass for just a sec and point out the irony of your screen name

all in fun man
Old 11-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by arkkornkid

all in fun man
.... it's all good! I was expecting that sooner actually!

... yeah I was considering getting a 2010 Camaro 1SS, but it's just outside of what I can afford.

But yeah If I don't get the SS/TC the handle is getting changed....

Originally Posted by HickOverLOrd
Do search on autotrader for 06 and 07 imprezas and put in the max price for 31k. The first few sti's have pretty much nothing for miles and still brand new. Warranty and all
Thank you! I'll do that!

Last edited by SS4EVER; 11-02-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM

That's awesome! I know I've seen quite a few css.net members buying 350Z's... I'm hoping to be driving one too.

Like what you have I'm considering a base Z, how does she do without the LSD?
Its not to bad really. It launches well and handles pretty good. It usually spins up both tires pretty much every time. However if you are in a tight turn in a lower gear and punch it it will one wheel peel pretty readily. That really doesn't bug me though, it handles itself really well and is super predictable. I'm actually considering a Quaife unit and from what I understand its 10x better than the factory VLSD.

My biggest beef with the Base is no Cruise control but that's nit picking. It really is a fun car to drive and is pretty comfy. Besides Base models are usually a little quicker than the rest because they are the lightest.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Its not to bad really. It launches well and handles pretty good. It usually spins up both tires pretty much every time. However if you are in a tight turn in a lower gear and punch it it will one wheel peel pretty readily. That really doesn't bug me though, it handles itself really well and is super predictable. I'm actually considering a Quaife unit and from what I understand its 10x better than the factory VLSD.

My biggest beef with the Base is no Cruise control but that's nit picking. It really is a fun car to drive and is pretty comfy. Besides Base models are usually a little quicker than the rest because they are the lightest.
Awesome! Thanks for your input. Yeah I've been looking online and there seems to be alot of different LSD's out there for the 350Z, and I've seen what you are talking about with the Quaife vs the viscous LSD. I was thinking of later buying and having one installed maybe later down the road if I get one.

The base doesn't come with cruise control huh? Hmm, yeah that I can live with. I think I've used cruise control like only a few times anyways in the whole time I've owned my balt, so if you can live without it I think I could too.

I know it doesn't have the greatest trunk space, which I don't really need, but as long as it can fit some things then I'm good. I got a good look at one at a Nissan dealer yesterday and I think it'll have enough trunk space for my needs.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Awesome! Thanks for your input. Yeah I've been looking online and there seems to be alot of different LSD's out there for the 350Z, and I've seen what you are talking about with the Quaife vs the viscous LSD. I was thinking of later buying and having one installed maybe later down the road if I get one.

The base doesn't come with cruise control huh? Hmm, yeah that I can live with. I think I've used cruise control like only a few times anyways in the whole time I've owned my balt, so if you can live without it I think I could too.

I know it doesn't have the greatest trunk space, which I don't really need, but as long as it can fit some things then I'm good. I got a good look at one at a Nissan dealer yesterday and I think it'll have enough trunk space for my needs.
Yeah the rear strut brace does take up a good chunk of room. I luckily don't have much to haul. It holds my helmet and all my groceries at the same time so its good enough for me. The biggest down side is only being able to have one passenger, that does suck at times but then again all of your friends won't use you to haul all of them around anymore
Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 PM

The biggest down side is only being able to have one passenger, that does suck at times but then again all of your friends won't use you to haul all of them around anymore
Well then that's an up side for me... Thanks again!

I actually contacted a dealer in Ohio, that has an showroom 08 base Z with 5 miles going for 4k off sticker. They're asking for 24k. They're going to see if they'll pay off my lease, and contact me back. If they do looks like there's a good chance I could be getting one...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Well then that's an up side for me... Thanks again!

I actually contacted a dealer in Ohio, that has an showroom 08 base Z with 5 miles going for 4k off sticker. They're asking for 24k. They're going to see if they'll pay off my lease, and contact me back. If they do looks like there's a good chance I could be getting one...
Sweet, definitely keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM

Sweet, definitely keep us posted.
Will do!

Hey does the base Z still come with like traction control or stability control?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM

USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION! You'll never have to pay for a repair for the rest of yoooo life
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 AM

eh, I have 43.000 miles on my car, and never really had an issue with it.

the sunroof did get stuck, but it was repaired, and havent had a problem since. this was like 2 years ago.

Yesterday I did have to take my car in to get looked at in regards to the Throttle body motor going bad. Been in the shop overnight, so I guess that is problem # 2.

I also had the door stick problem. It sucks lol. Usually after locking and unlocking a few times, it will unstick. or if I put the window down it will open from the outside, but not from the inside. After I open it from teh outside it fixes the inside. This happens like once or twice a year. it definately sucks, but its not permanent, and only takes 30 seconds to fix.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Will do!

Nope none of those on the Base model. Here's the options breakdown.

350Z Coupe
It all starts with a 306 HP, 268 lb. ft of torque, 3.5 liter V6 6 speed manual transmission, 18" aluminum wheels, HID bi-xenon headlights, automatic Temp control (ATC), Tire pressure monitoring system, CD audio system and heated outside mirrors.

Enthusiast (coupe/roadster)
Enhances Z's traction even more with traction control system (TCS), viscous limited-slip rear differential, aluminum pedals, illuminated steering wheel switches for cruise control and audio control, auto dimming rear view mirror and Homelink universal transceiver.

Touring (coupe/roadster)
Dials up the amenities with Bose audio system with in dash 6 cd changer, Bluetooth hands free phone system (coupe only), leather appointed heated power seats and Vehicle Dynamic Control (coupe manual transmission only)

Grand Touring (coupe/roadster)
Includes all Touring coupe equipment, plus: Vehical Dynamic Control (VDC), Brembo braking system, RAYS super lightweight 18" front and 19" rear forged alloy wheels, high performance tires, front chin spoiler, (coupe only), rear underbody diffusers and rear spoiler (coupe only)

Option Packages

* Automatic Transmission (Coupe or Roadster - Enthusiast, Touring or Grand Touring)
* Navigation System (Coupe or Roadster - Touring or Grand Touring)
* Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius) (Coupe only - Touring or Grand Touring)
* Side and Curtain Air Bags (Coupe only - 350Z, Enthusiast, Touring or Grand Touring)
* Side Air bags (std. on Roadster)
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Ok answering my own question. I just looked online and saw that the base Z does not come with traction control or stability control but those are available on the higher models.

lol or you answered 1 minute before I did... Thanks for the break down!

Yeah, so that means I'll be needing a winter beater...

Last edited by SS4EVER; 11-04-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: I've had enough.... Not getting the SS/TC...