Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Need expert advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need expert advice.

By the way my car is a 2007 Cobalt SS lE5. She has 95k and a recent clutch replacement. My question is about the clutch, and maybe I can get some advice on my driving style. The clutch gets spongy and gritty a little bit, and it has a rough time shifting into gears( especially 1st and second) Maybe I thought there was a transmission problem. Now I know it is the clutch because sometimes the clutch is smooth and works properly. However the case; I find that the clutch only returns to normal after I accelerate quite a bit. Otherwise it just doesn't seem to want to shift right at all. Also, Highway for over 10 minutes, then exit the highway, and free as oil and bird. Nice feeling clutch. Theres just gotta be something that makes it go back to normal after I accelerate, or drive the car at fast speeds. Should I just continue to drive it fast and roll with the occasional smooth clutch (it really is hit or miss), or get it checked out> How much $$$? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
try rebleeding the clutch
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Are you saying the clutch pedal feels spongy? When it doesn't want to shift into the gears do they grind like does it seem like your clutch isn't disengaging? You ever have a time when you push in the clutch yet the car is still driving under power?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM

All i know is that the clutch doesn't open all the way, which creates 2 problems. It's harder to get into gear, and it transitions into gears slightly rough when i release the clutch. That could be caused by the clutch being spongy , or the vibration I feel when depressing it. I don't know. What I think Royce777 is saying, is there is air in the line and I gotta get it out. I don't think simply bleeding the clutch would fix the air from coming back again though would it. How does one diagnose this issue without getting a mechanic to do a complete clutch job or slave job?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
From https://www.phoenixfriction.com/t-cl...n-meaning.aspx

Clutch Pedal Vibration - What Does it Mean?

If you’ve noticed clutch pedal vibration - either when you've got the pedal fully disengaged, when you're launching, or a constant vibration - these are the most common clutch issues that can cause this problem.
Clutch Misalignment

Misalignment in the clutch happens when the assembly is not accurately aligned with the vehicle’s flywheel. This will cause the clutch to engage inconsistently, putting an unbalanced load on the surfaces of the clutch and flywheel. It’s not uncommon for the result to be chattering, pulsating, and vibration coming from the clutch pedal.
Diaphragm Spring Issues

The amount of pressure applied to the pressure plate and clutch disc is controlled by a diaphragm spring that seats these against the flywheel. Should the diaphragm spring become damaged or broken, this will cause the clutch plate to engage unevenly with the flywheel when applied or released — the result is vibrations and pulsations in the clutch pedal.
Warping of the Clutch Disc

It’s the clutch disc that actually connects the engine flywheel to the driveshaft/axle when the clutch is engaged. It is constructed of materials similar to brake pads and operates on the same principals of friction. To work properly, the contact surfaces must be smooth and flat. If the clutch disc becomes warped due to wear or overheating, it won’t engage smoothly. The result of a lack of smooth engagement with the flywheel and pressure plate is chattering, vibration, and pulsation in the pedal.
Throw-Out Bearing Problems

The throw-out bearing is an essential part of the assembly that engages and disengages the clutch. When you compress the clutch pedal, the throw-out bearing will move forward to push on the pressure plate fingers — this then releases the spring pressure and pushes the pressure plate against the disc. If this part is installed improperly, the contact with the pressure plate fingers will be uneven. This will result in uneven clutch disc contact, which often results in vibrations.
These are the most common causes of vibrations in your clutch pedal coming from the clutch/transmission. If you have issues beyond these problems, give us a call so we can help you troubleshoot your clutch pedal woes.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Thanks for your vigilance on such a vigilant subject as the clutch; with so many components, its surprising that anybody can truly diagnose one's clutch. It seems to me that It may be more of a clutch component problem as one stated above. Ill work with it, and do my research, and keep this thread updated .