Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

p0017 COMP Cams help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p0017 COMP Cams help!

Ok so prior to pulling the head as far as I knew, car was stock other than intake/exhaust. I now know after attempted tune via a well known tuner in stl for lsj's the pcm had been adjusted before. basically I had to pull the head to have a spark plug hole repaired and decided to cam and port while I was at it. that lead to porting the intake, header, 3" pulley and #60 injectors. Didn't install injectors other than being at the tuners place. head came back, cams installed at the machine shop and put it all back together and ended up throwing a p0017 along with a 300 and some rear o2 codes which wasn't installed any longer. wideband took its place, was going to have that tuned out. took a few weeks to get pulley installed and have the tuner lined up and come to find out that code isn't normal for installing cams. Or at least if everything goes correctly.. After not being tuned I started looking into it and ended up checking my CPS alignment, and my crank/cam timing. which all ended up checking out. I haven't read one incident where the hex being installed incorrectly as an issue. But that was the first thing my tuner suggested (along with jumping a tooth) as well as another tuner he got ahold of while I was there. Just looking for input here. As there is a much wider area of users than on the facebook forum I am a part of. is the hex deal an issue with comp cams? I read that resurfacing the head could lead to the same code. I am misfiring at idle but she smooths out after any sort of acceleration is applied. I don't want to just tune the code out if there is an actual issue. has anyone else ran into this?

side note, ignore my profile. haven't really used this since I owned my last cobalt 7 years ago. a 05 ls. I am now running a 06 lsj. lots of cars between the two.. respond through here or if you have some useful info feel free to text me at 314 623 1773. I don't use this forum to much anymore but im at that point of installing my stock cams back in.. new balt is attached in photo attached
Attached Thumbnails cobalt.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 11:27 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
yea the comp cams are known for having the hex installed in the wrong orientation. this affects cams bought directly from comp or another dealer. from what i remember, zzp has corrected the issue with cams they sell, not sure about other dealers
The following users liked this post:
scottie (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
decking the head will not cause the cam crank correlation code its either out of time or the hex is wrong and comp cams cant put the hex in correct if you need it don't I have a jig for timing the hex to the cam
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
decking the head will not cause the cam crank correlation code its either out of time or the hex is wrong and comp cams cant put the hex in correct if you need it don't I have a jig for timing the hex to the cam
how much would ya charge to correct it? or would you need a fresh cam without it inserted? Going to call comp and see what they'll do for me. Got 600 dollar paper weights..
Old 01-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
comp wont do jack and do not know how to time the hex but you cover shipping both ways and If I need to replace the hex cover that

pm me for address