Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

PLEASE HELP code P0496 now

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP code P0496 now

after all the other codes have been erased and havent come up i have p0496... any chance this is caused by the gas cap? i checked it however and it seems to be tight. Any info would be great... I already researched but want more info. The car only has 5,000 miles on it.... its really pissin me off. in one month i've had p1101, p0103, p0172 and now p0496
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That code is for evap flow during non-purge. A loose gas cap would not cause it......DTC is set when the control module detects vacuum during a non-purge condition within 65 seconds of start-up. If the gas cap was loose, the tank wouldn't be able to pull vacuum.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM

okay so waht are you telling me..... That this will not go away? and i'll have to go to the dealership? if so how bad is all of this? easy fix?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM

well, you have a warranty so why not take it in? It could be something as simple as a fuel tank pressure sensor, or a Evap purge solenoid. Could of even been something in one of the evap lines blocking air. It's really not to bad....I had a few cars with the same code I worked on in the past couple weeks.

Last edited by Sunburst_SS; 02-06-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM

well i hate other people driving my car... when i take it to the dealership they usually don't get **** right... seriously it took 4 times to put a speaker in and they tried screwing me over on it... thats a long story tho i just don't trust dealerships and never will PERIOD
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM

well, I work at a dealership.......so maybe you shouldn't listen to me then :-P
Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 PM

lol i work at one too... i have been working at dealerships for over 4 years now and i just think they dont' care... its not like its there car.. and the young techs these days honestly don't get paid enough to care so i can't blame them.... when i see some sweet ass car come in to the shop what do i do? i rev it up and see if shes got any power... i don't blame them its just i don't want it done to my car...
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 PM

sounds like that dealership sucks......I am a tech, and I personally don't beat any cars, nor does any of the other guys I work with......we are all paid fairly well. Maybe it's just the place you work/go to....
Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 PM

only 2 choices really

my guess would be the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve

other is fuel tank pressure sensor, but without seeing the car and hooked up to the tech 2, we cant see how much pressure is in the tank
im a tech too
Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by madmark
my guess would be the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve

im a tech too
How hard would you say it is to put in and how long?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM

about 30 seconds

two lines...one connector, and pop it off the bracket...
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by rockkrawler628
How hard would you say it is to put in and how long?
i havent done it on a cobalt yet, but si says .6 warranty so i guess it would take 5 minutes lol for each
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by madmark
i havent done it on a cobalt yet, but si says .6 warranty so i guess it would take 5 minutes lol for each
for each??? there's only one per car lol
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS
for each??? there's only one per car lol
fuel pressure sensor and evap purge solenoid .3 replace .3 diag for each
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 PM

thanks alot guys... i appreciate everything... i hope it just goes off tomorrow but if it doesn't im tired of this piece of **** and hope it blows up with me in it... that'll solve my problems
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM

ahhhh.....well, I doubt both of them are bad..... .3 for an FTP sensor blows though, warranty times are lame. Even though you can probably change in in a few minutes anyways lol
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM

maybe take it to a different dealership? i mean it's not like there is only 1 GM dealer in all of PA. the way your acting is like you don't want it to be fixed. just trade it in seriously
Old 02-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by hawlyns711
maybe take it to a different dealership? i mean it's not like there is only 1 GM dealer in all of PA. the way your acting is like you don't want it to be fixed. just trade it in seriously
nah i just traded in my jeep for this thing... i love my car but its just im tired of having problems with it... i just want a car that doesn't have problems left and right... (don't anybody be a smart ass and say its the driver) i have a feeling that it is gonna come so don't bother saying it... but yeah.. im gonna call the dealer and see what they say... maybe they don't even need to drive it lol... the kids there don't kno what the hell they're doing... and as for other dealerships... um theyre too far away
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM

I don't know i'm inclined to agree with rockkrawler628, I had my car put in the shop for a line of LED's being constantly active in my RPM guage and my 2nd gear going out. It took them 7 working days to solve a "2-day" set of problems. I told them exactly what they needed to replace - my pcm, because evidently the data output was corrupted (their solution was to "reprogram the guages twice and it didn't get fixed so they ordered a new guage cluster" however they dinged the crap out of the plastic in fixing that deal. And anyone knows the guage cluster doesn't take programming, its only the receiver, the pcm is the sender for our cars.....and then my 2nd gear grind, they ordered the parts....the wrong parts ("there was a part change halfway through production") and then they reassembled it wrong so now my grind in 2nd gear is fixed and i've got a first gear grind above 2000rpm, However it was about 930pm when I picked up my car and my dad was tired of standing there waiting for me to fight rush hour traffic so he checked it out. I understand why some people have sour attitudes towards dealerships, sometimes they're frustrating in what they do and how they do it. Good news is I got the repair manuals so I can fix it myself this time without them knowing. I wish we had techs here like you guys that know wtf your doing.......

hell i'll pay next time if they just friggin do it right.....
Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by avenger09123
I don't know i'm inclined to agree with rockkrawler628, I had my car put in the shop for a line of LED's being constantly active in my RPM guage and my 2nd gear going out. It took them 7 working days to solve a "2-day" set of problems. I told them exactly what they needed to replace - my pcm, because evidently the data output was corrupted (their solution was to "reprogram the guages twice and it didn't get fixed so they ordered a new guage cluster" however they dinged the crap out of the plastic in fixing that deal. And anyone knows the guage cluster doesn't take programming, its only the receiver, the pcm is the sender for our cars.....and then my 2nd gear grind, they ordered the parts....the wrong parts ("there was a part change halfway through production") and then they reassembled it wrong so now my grind in 2nd gear is fixed and i've got a first gear grind above 2000rpm, However it was about 930pm when I picked up my car and my dad was tired of standing there waiting for me to fight rush hour traffic so he checked it out. I understand why some people have sour attitudes towards dealerships, sometimes they're frustrating in what they do and how they do it. Good news is I got the repair manuals so I can fix it myself this time without them knowing. I wish we had techs here like you guys that know wtf your doing.......

hell i'll pay next time if they just friggin do it right.....
Thank you lol
Since you wrote your ordeal with the dealership i will too... however this is only one not to mention the others...
Okay THE DAY I PICK MY CAR UP!!! I just bought it... Drove it off the lot and noticed a rattle coming from the Right Rear speaker... called them up and they said oh yeah! we noticed that when we dealer traded it and ordered the parts...(they never bothered to tell me) the next day i went over to have the speaker put in and it took about an hour then i drove it to work and noticed umm.. the fcking rear deck was rattling along the window and **** when i had the windows down... call them up and they set up another appointment... then i drove over and had them *fix the problem... (they were supposed to put a new clip in since THEY BROKE IT OFF WHEN THEY PUT THE SPEAKER IN) THEN after i got it back this time I drove it back to work and checked over the work they did. Instead of putting a new clip in they freaking put rolled up peices of paper inbetween the cross bar and the deck to force the deck to the window to stop the problem!!!! can you believe that!!! after that i called them again and told them to fix it and fix it right! i want a new deck put it. they said okay and scheduled an appoint again... I never got a call from them after 3 weeks... I had to call them all the time! They finally got it right the well i don't kno how many times...

Did i mention they want 500 bucks to INSTALL a stage 2!!!

LOL its sooo bad at dealerships these days... they fire all the good techs and hire young kids to do the work... but then when it comes to doing major rebuilds or something very technical they're screwed....
I even told them that i didn't want them touching my car (as for detailing it) when i went to pick it up for delievery. I didn't want them scratching the paint or causing dry rot on the tires because of the chemicals dealers use to clean rims... I've seen all of that **** done before...
I know because of experience.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTC P0496
System Description
This DTC tests for undesired intake manifold vacuum flow to the evaporative emission (EVAP) system. The control module seals the EVAP system by commanding the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve Closed and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve Closed. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor to determine if a vacuum is being drawn on the EVAP system. If vacuum in the EVAP system is more than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 PM

hmm see i had the code as "pending" and then it went off by itself... but when i scan... the Evap system still didn't go through all its parimeters yet and its been like that for 2 days but no codes or codes pending... so wtf
Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

bringing this back from the dead. I just got that CEL too. went to autozone and they scanned and this code came up. alot of other post are leaning towards the rubber seal on the gas cap. i am still on the warrenty but heres what im shacky about, i have the trifecta tune. i dont want to take it in, them to scan and see that i have a modified tune. i took it in to get my powersterring replaced and that went fine. so i doubt them looking at the gas cap wont hurt right?

when this code came up, it was directly after i got gas. i filled it up, turned on the car and it chugged. i started again and gave it some gas and the car started, started with a CEL...

any suggestions? just take it down to GM?

thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM

good luck with that... I hate dealerships and always will... just wait a little bit and it may go out... thats what happened with mine

actually... i cleared it out and it came back.... i cleared it again and waited... then it went away i believe

Last edited by rockkrawler628; 03-05-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 PM

Any chance that anyone would give away the location of the Purge Valve?

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP code P0496 now