Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Problems with my 07 SS/SC transmission! SH!T THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with my 07 SS/SC transmission! **** THIS!

So I only have GMPP mods: Rotors, Manifold, STG 2, Touring catback. A few other little things here and there, but mostly factory mods. I have the solid polyurethane mounts in, but I'm taking them out tomorrow. The vibes are really annoying with the A/C on, even just sitting at idle.

So my transmission is noisy. Everything about it. Clutch engagement is clicky, disengagement is clicky, going into 1st gear is an audible click outside the car, and I can hear the synchros grabbing (sounds like a progressive whine) in each freaking gear. Also, when I coast with clutch in but in 1st gear, it also whines right below the point of sounding like its grinding.

When I coast from about 40 to 0 in neutral I can hear something also mechanically whining in the front all the way to a stop. I think it's the wheel bearings because I do a ton of highway driving, but that's just me.

All in all, the transmission is noisy. I hear everything that goes on up front, and it gets me really worry because I.....HATE......DEALERSHIPS....WITH....A.....PASSI ON. and the last thing I want is to bring my baby in only to have the dealership tell me that I voided my warranty because I put GM parts and a DC strut bar on. I also switched to royal purple 75W90 to see if it would help, But what does everyone think? Am I on the brink of transmission failure? And does anyone have experience with Davidson Chevrolet in Watertown, NY?

let me just reiterate. This car is my baby. I take amazing care of it, document everything down to part replacement, oil changes, and I talk to it. Some say I'm crazy. Some just don't know about the fun of a SS/SC.

Last edited by redblur; 06-15-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
they cant deny you warrenty unless the aftermarket part without a doubt caused the failure. now nothing you listed would affect your transmission.

that being said, i have driven a couple cobalts and i find they are kind of noisy. you will always hear a click kind of noise going into first or reverse, any tranny will do that. i do find the stock tires a little noisy, and i thought it was a wheel bearing, however when i put my BFG kdw2 on the noise got louder imediatly, meaning it was just a tire noise i was hearing, and it actualy goes away with my winter tires on. i also have the clicky sort of noise on and off the clutch, however i only hear it if im listening for it and am in an area the sound bounces off (in traffic, beside a retainer wall, in a garage).

that being said, it is the cheap low end car thing (face it, thats what we own), however if it concerns you, and it sounds like it is, take it to the dealer and go for a road test with one of their techs.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Banned

im actually in the process of sue'in the dealer that denied my warranty coverage for the transmission on the cobalt...all they kept tellin me its from excesive wheel hop and they couldnt prove it..no snapped mounts,no burn rubber marks,no snapped axels,so obviously no proof,so i contacted my lawyer and case is almost done..
Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Super_SS
im actually in the process of sue'in the dealer that denied my warranty coverage for the transmission on the cobalt...all they kept tellin me its from excesive wheel hop and they couldnt prove it..no snapped mounts,no burn rubber marks,no snapped axels,so obviously no proof,so i contacted my lawyer and case is almost done..
i was about to do the same but i had some grey zones i couldnt avoid. I have the money to do it too.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by redblur
So I only have GMPP mods: Rotors, Manifold, STG 2, Touring catback. A few other little things here and there, but mostly factory mods. I have the solid polyurethane mounts in, but I'm taking them out tomorrow. The vibes are really annoying with the A/C on, even just sitting at idle.

So my transmission is noisy. Everything about it. Clutch engagement is clicky, disengagement is clicky, going into 1st gear is an audible click outside the car, and I can hear the synchros grabbing (sounds like a progressive whine) in each freaking gear. Also, when I coast with clutch in but in 1st gear, it also whines right below the point of sounding like its grinding.

When I coast from about 40 to 0 in neutral I can hear something also mechanically whining in the front all the way to a stop. I think it's the wheel bearings because I do a ton of highway driving, but that's just me.

All in all, the transmission is noisy. I hear everything that goes on up front, and it gets me really worry because I.....HATE......DEALERSHIPS....WITH....A.....PASSI ON. and the last thing I want is to bring my baby in only to have the dealership tell me that I voided my warranty because I put GM parts and a DC strut bar on. I also switched to royal purple 75W90 to see if it would help, But what does everyone think? Am I on the brink of transmission failure? And does anyone have experience with Davidson Chevrolet in Watertown, NY?

let me just reiterate. This car is my baby. I take amazing care of it, document everything down to part replacement, oil changes, and I talk to it. Some say I'm crazy. Some just don't know about the fun of a SS/SC.
They are noisy. My transmission has always made noise since I bought it. 45,000 miles later it is still noisy but never had a single problem with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 AM

my transmission makes a clunk when I let out the clutch and it engages. It started once I put my solid trans mounts in. I'm also getting a wobble in 1st and 2nd gear, I just had my tires balanced so i know its not them.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... sounds EXACTLY like mine i think that's just the way they sound
Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
your transmission sounds exactly like mine, every symptom you describe. It's normal, our cars are loud.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

that's how you know you still drive a cobalt. the interior rattles, the engine shakes, the tranny is loud, and your sunroof button is almost guaranteed to fall off.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i lol'ed
Old 06-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
that's how you know you still drive a cobalt. the interior rattles, the engine shakes, the tranny is loud, and your sunroof button is almost guaranteed to fall off.
LOL. Isn't that the truth. After taking my car in 5 times for that damn sunroof button they FINALLY totally replaced everything and put a little bracket in for me so it would stop falling off. Never had a problem with it since.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
LOL. Isn't that the truth. After taking my car in 5 times for that damn sunroof button they FINALLY totally replaced everything and put a little bracket in for me so it would stop falling off. Never had a problem with it since.
mine has fallen off for the second time yesterday
Old 06-17-2008, 07:22 PM

Man this is the most responses i've ever gotten out of any of my posts! Thanks to the ss.net!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM

How many mounts did you replace with the solid urethane? I only had the front & back ones done for a while, and finally decided to do the driver's side one under the fuse box, and that made a WORLD of difference. Before, the vibes were really bad in low first and reverse. Now, they are barely noticeable compared to stock, and zero wheel hop. It is amazing. I guess the system just needed to be balanced. For anyone who has only filled the two mounts that most vendors have replacements for, I highly recommend doing the third one yourself. It takes some more time to get to it, but it is totally worth it. Not bad for $8 and a couple hours of my weekend.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
How many mounts did you replace with the solid urethane? I only had the front & back ones done for a while, and finally decided to do the driver's side one under the fuse box, and that made a WORLD of difference. Before, the vibes were really bad in low first and reverse. Now, they are barely noticeable compared to stock, and zero wheel hop. It is amazing. I guess the system just needed to be balanced. For anyone who has only filled the two mounts that most vendors have replacements for, I highly recommend doing the third one yourself. It takes some more time to get to it, but it is totally worth it. Not bad for $8 and a couple hours of my weekend.
90% of the people here have no idea there is another mount there. they'll probably tell you you're an idiot for thinking a mount is under the fuse box
Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 PM

Thats our tranny to the T
Old 06-17-2008, 10:07 PM

90% of the people here have no idea there is another mount there. they'll probably tell you you're an idiot for thinking a mount is under the fuse box
Well somebody needs to get the word out because it sure makes this car a lot more fun to drive. And it's also the piece of mind that the next time you ****-can it your not gonna snap an axle or crack your tranny case.

Why do none of the vendors make a mount for this location? I don't get it. Think about it like a tripod--if you have only two sturdy legs and one weak one, the whole thing is unbalanced. And if it doesn't exist, I'd hate to find out what I filled with polyurethane then.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM

I will be looking into this...thanks for the heads up ya'll!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 PM

the only thing i can think of if you bring it in to a dealership is they may try to viod your tranny warranty because you put different fluid in
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
Well somebody needs to get the word out because it sure makes this car a lot more fun to drive. And it's also the piece of mind that the next time you ****-can it your not gonna snap an axle or crack your tranny case.

Why do none of the vendors make a mount for this location? I don't get it. Think about it like a tripod--if you have only two sturdy legs and one weak one, the whole thing is unbalanced. And if it doesn't exist, I'd hate to find out what I filled with polyurethane then.
Yah i never though of it helping with the vibes, which would make sense. Since no one makes a replacement mount, i may have to look into filling it myself..
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 PM

I can't stress enough how much of a difference it made over just having the other two mounts. It might take twice the amount of time to get to as the other mounts, but the results are well worth it IMO. I would say the vibes are about 30-40% of what they were before replacing the last mount. Good luck.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/private.php

There's a thread showing basically how to get to the mount. It's a tight squeeze, but definitely doable.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:10 PM

you know what the right link is?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:20 PM

yeah, that link takes me to my inbox...definitely would like to do this mod too.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 PM

im guessing you have to pull the fuse box out to get to it
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM

SOOOO ture man!! Well it makes me feel better to know that we're pretty much all in the same boat when it comes to these problems.....THey bothered me becuase i wasn't sure if it was just my car but this comfirms that i;m not the only one... thanx for that

Quick Reply: Problems with my 07 SS/SC transmission! SH!T THIS!