Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Pulse In The Break Pedel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulse In The Break Pedel

i have an 07 Lt what does it mean if im getting a pules in the the break pedal but noT it the steering wheel, ive replaced front rotors and pads and had the new rotors cut because i was getting a pulse in the wheel also after the replacement, now the steering wheel pulse is gone but the break pedal is still there, it starts when breaking around 60-70 and it starts in the pedel and moves to the whole car vibreating, WHAT IS CAUSING THIS
Old 03-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by darrion
i have an 07 Lt what does it mean if im getting a pules in the the break pedal but noT it the steering wheel, ive replaced front rotors and pads and had the new rotors cut because i was getting a pulse in the wheel also after the replacement, now the steering wheel pulse is gone but the break pedal is still there, it starts when breaking around 60-70 and it starts in the pedel and moves to the whole car vibreating, WHAT IS CAUSING THIS
sounds to me like an alignment issue
Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
sounds to me like an alignment issue
but it doesnt pull or pulse when im not breaking,
Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by darrion
but it doesnt pull or pulse when im not breaking,
it could be that minor. you could also check your tire pressure.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you feel it in the seat as well? your rear brakes are warped/out of round
Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Check the rear brakes as well, I have seen drums go out of round. Not common but......

Ya, what he said ^^^

Last edited by DaBuzzard; 03-26-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM

oooorrrrrrr.. you're feeling the anti-lock brakes working?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
oooorrrrrrr.. you're feeling the anti-lock brakes working?
That was my first thought, but when he said 60-70, idk could be one of the 3 alignment, rotors, ABS.

Does the car have rear rotors?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the rear brakes, machine them or replace them.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM

the rears wouldnt be felt in the pedal just in the seat or sometimes the ebrake handle when u pull it up lightly while driving sounds to me like you got **** rotors and or someone keeps overtorquing you lug nuts after the do the job
Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by zrated89
the rears wouldnt be felt in the pedal just in the seat or sometimes the ebrake handle when u pull it up lightly while driving sounds to me like you got **** rotors and or someone keeps overtorquing you lug nuts after the do the job
Why not? If the drums are out of round they will pulsate the shoes/cylinders/brake fluid in the lines, and eventually, the pedal.

The e-brake idea is not bad though, give a little pull while at highway speeds, not enough to lock the brakes but enough so you feel the brakes dragging and if you feel the same thing, it's the rear brakes for sure.

Don't forget to hold the button in unless you feel like doing 360's down the road

Overtorquing or improper torquing pattern could be an issue too.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM

i do have rear drums and i can feel it in the seat too, also in the ebreakhandle if i pull it while driving, if the drums are out of round do i just need to have them turned

Last edited by RecklessL61; 03-26-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: i used the wrong word
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
Why not? If the drums are out of round they will pulsate the shoes/cylinders/brake fluid in the lines, and eventually, the pedal.

The e-brake idea is not bad though, give a little pull while at highway speeds, not enough to lock the brakes but enough so you feel the brakes dragging and if you feel the same thing, it's the rear brakes for sure.

Don't forget to hold the button in unless you feel like doing 360's down the road

Overtorquing or improper torquing pattern could be an issue too.
Exactly, beat me to that. Easy way to diagnose which brakes are out of round/warped. Shake in steering wheel =front, shake in pedal =rear.

So you have rear rotors and drums?? I dont get it? Our e-brakes use the discs there is no drum portion, either way the rotors warped, see if you can get it machined or if not them replace them.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 08G5GT2.4L
Exactly, beat me to that. Easy way to diagnose which brakes are out of round/warped. Shake in steering wheel =front, shake in pedal =rear.

So you have rear rotors and drums?? I dont get it? Our e-brakes use the discs there is no drum portion, either way the rotors warped, see if you can get it machined or if not them replace them.
sorry yes i do have rear drums
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM

You know the drums do warp also, they get out of round and you get the pulsating petal

sorry should have read all the posts jumped the gun

Last edited by boostedss26; 03-26-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 PM

i like how people say the rears cause pedal pulsation when i do this all day and am CERTIFIED to perform work. THe op did what i said he can feel it in the ebrake handle his drums are warped/ end thread and yes OP you can have them machined if the spec is above what it needs to be if not ull need to replace them. The reason you fell the padal and steering wheel in the front is beacuse the column connects to the rack which is attatched to the crade the from the axles through the hub and the rotors YOU WILL NOT FEEL PULSATION IN THE PEDAL FROM REAR BRAKES
Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 PM

i like how people say the rears cause pedal pulsation when i do this all day and am CERTIFIED to perform work. THe op did what i said he can feel it in the ebrake handle his drums are warped/ end thread and yes OP you can have them machined if the spec is above what it needs to be if not ull need to replace them. The reason you fell the padal and steering wheel in the front is beacuse the column connects to the rack which is attatched to the crade the from the axles through the hub and the rotors YOU WILL NOT FEEL PULSATION IN THE PEDAL FROM REAR BRAKES
if said quote is true why do i along with the ebreak feel it in the pedel
Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 AM

[QUOTE=zrated89;3657714]i like how people say the rears cause pedal pulsation when i do this all day and am CERTIFIED to perform work. THe op did what i said he can feel it in the ebrake handle his drums are warped/ end thread and yes OP you can have them machined if the spec is above what it needs to be if not ull need to replace them. The reason you fell the padal and steering wheel in the front is beacuse the column connects to the rack which is attatched to the crade the from the axles through the hub and the rotors YOU WILL NOT FEEL PULSATION IN THE PEDAL FROM REAR BRAKES[/QUOT

CERTIFIED don't mean **** i know alot of people that are certified and are retards. My personal vehicles have had pulsation in the petal after i have done the fronts. Put shoes and drums on and hey no more pulsation. So don't come in here actin like you know everything. And the ebrake thing doesnt always work either
Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=boostedss26;3659099]
i like how people say the rears cause pedal pulsation when i do this all day and am CERTIFIED to perform work. THe op did what i said he can feel it in the ebrake handle his drums are warped/ end thread and yes OP you can have them machined if the spec is above what it needs to be if not ull need to replace them. The reason you fell the padal and steering wheel in the front is beacuse the column connects to the rack which is attatched to the crade the from the axles through the hub and the rotors YOU WILL NOT FEEL PULSATION IN THE PEDAL FROM REAR BRAKES[/QUOT

CERTIFIED don't mean **** i know alot of people that are certified and are retards. My personal vehicles have had pulsation in the petal after i have done the fronts. Put shoes and drums on and hey no more pulsation. So don't come in here actin like you know everything. And the ebrake thing doesnt always work either
ok bodyshop man i do this everyday go beat some sheet metal
Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 PM

Hydraulics 101

Brake fluid is, for all practical purposes, not compressable. You will get feedback from the rear drums through the pedal.

And boosted is quite right....certified seems to mean nothing anymore. You have no idea how many certified technicians I have encountered in 30+ years that cannot understand how the systems they are working on interact, and it's getting worse every year. They cannot troubleshoot anymore, they swap out whatever part the diagnostic computer tells them to. It's really sad that dealerships (here anyways) get away with charging $99.00 an hour to have the tech swap parts until the problem goes away

I get far better work from the guy next store who learned how to fix things without a computer directing his every move. He learned by doing, not reading a manufacturers canned training materials and writing a cursory multiple choice exam. He understands how **** works, something I can't say about very many today.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
Hydraulics 101

Brake fluid is, for all practical purposes, not compressable. You will get feedback from the rear drums through the pedal.

And boosted is quite right....certified seems to mean nothing anymore. You have no idea how many certified technicians I have encountered in 30+ years that cannot understand how the systems they are working on interact, and it's getting worse every year. They cannot troubleshoot anymore, they swap out whatever part the diagnostic computer tells them to. It's really sad that dealerships (here anyways) get away with charging $99.00 an hour to have the tech swap parts until the problem goes away

I get far better work from the guy next store who learned how to fix things without a computer directing his every move. He learned by doing, not reading a manufacturers canned training materials and writing a cursory multiple choice exam. He understands how **** works, something I can't say about very many today.
this is correct but 9 times out of ten the pedal will not pulsate when the rears are bad unless the are REALLY bad and i grew up turning a wrench just recently certified and your right i know plenty of MASTER TECHS that are book smart but cant turn a wrench for nothing
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 PM

this is correct but 9 times out of ten the pedal will not pulsate when the rears are bad unless the are REALLY bad and i grew up turning a wrench just recently certified and your right i know plenty of MASTER TECHS that are book smart but cant turn a wrench for nothing
True enough....if they are just worn out they will still be round. Truth be told, I have only encountered 1 car where the drums were actually warped / out of round, and that was after they (my cousin and his then gf) put the fire out......seems that driving 70 mph down the road with the e-brake set generates a bit of heat "Car seems to be low on power today....whats that smell anyways?"
My wifes Taurus, on the other hand, actually had a hairline crack in one of the rear drums. Couldn't really feel it but you could hear it. Had a few people scratching their heads over that one. Figured it out when the guy who was helping me knocked the one drum on the floor to get the dust out, and it split in two!

Pretty much grew up with a wrench in my hand as well. Bought cars I could afford (can you say beaters?), couldn't afford to have someone else fix em when they broke so my choices were learn to do it or walk. I'm kinda lazy so walking didn't seem like such a great idea

Damn I miss my old beasties, big American iron that you could actually work on. Tuning with jets and metering rods, not a laptop. Want more static timing, twist the distributor. Being able to reach everything under the hood without having 3 elbows and twig arms.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 PM

yeah gota luv them tune up on the 3.3l and 3.8l dodge caravans lol I got a special jack that rolls the motor forward after fighting with them for 3years