Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Rant about oil changes on an 09 cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I absolutely love the top loaded Oil filter. It lets me change the filter every 3k miles and i don't have to change any of the oil.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shutzero
ecotecs are the easiest oil changes ever. the supercharger is a pia, but i'd rather take off an oil filter there than underneath the car wedged in somewhere thats impossible to stick your hand. and theres like no mess with the drop in filter. how can you be complaining? get the proper tools/know what your doing and this thread wouldn't exist
I did use the proper tool, I got 1 and 1/4 in regular socket. Even if I did get the filter cap off with said socket, this thread would have happened regardless. Who at GM thought that this piece of plastic would need a ginormous 1 and 1/4 inch head when a 3/8ths head would have easily gotten the job done. Its not like the cap needs to be torqued down a shitload. It needs 25 N m for ***** sake. Having a 3/8ths head on the filter cap also saves me the trouble of switching between sockets to loosen the drain plug. Methinks GM did this so more owners would resort to bringing their car in to the stealership for basic services like oil changes. The fact that the owners' manual does not mention where the oil filter is located backs up my point.

For the record, I'm quite please with the top mounted oil filter... its just retarded how we need a special tool to access it.

Now I'm going to solve this problem myself, either I'm going to machine a new oil filter cap out of 7075 aluminum and put a 3/8ths head with an 8mm allen key broaching on it or I'm going to make a wrench out of a piece of flatbar and cut a 1 and 1/4 in square in the end.

On to the dipstick... Whats up with the limp dick dipstick? If they can't get a dipstick right, why bother making a car? It amuses me that the diagram of the dipstick in the manual does not even correspond with the one found in my car. Is it really hard to stamp the letters F and L onto a dipstick? Painting it black also would have been nice, it pisses me off that reading a dipstick could be this difficult.

Overall, I'm not impressed by these 2 issues but thats what you get for 16k...
Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 PM

basing your opinion of a car on it's oil change and dipstick = FTL
Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM

i think the reason for the large size cap on the filter is b/c it is plastic and a smaller size would have stripped easier.

but yes its a pain in the butt the first time, its easy as hell once u figure out how to get ur tool there easy, and which way to pull the filter to get it out the easiest.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 905BMX
I did use the proper tool, I got 1 and 1/4 in regular socket.
Buy the shallow socket. Like has been said before the standard one is too tall.

Having a 3/8ths head on the filter cap also saves me the trouble of switching between sockets to loosen the drain plug.
I hope you're joking here. They DO make the sockets interchangeable just for that reason!

For the record, I'm quite please with the top mounted oil filter... its just retarded how we need a special tool to access it.
Technically, you needed a special tool to remove a regular oil filter too, unless you're able to reach it and twist it off with your hands.

I haven't seen a GM owners manual in the last 20 years or so that tells where the filter is; this is nothing new.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 PM

u realize that if you take the engine cover off the oil filter is right there.........they are a joke to change.......i changed the oil in my balt my moms balt and my brothers HHR all under 25 min.....
Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-Train04RL
i think the reason for the large size cap on the filter is b/c it is plastic and a smaller size would have stripped easier.

but yes its a pain in the butt the first time, its easy as hell once u figure out how to get ur tool there easy, and which way to pull the filter to get it out the easiest.
25 N m is nothing... Gravity exerts more force on a 3 kg weight...

Originally Posted by css9450
Technically, you needed a special tool to remove a regular oil filter too, unless you're able to reach it and twist it off with your hands.

I haven't seen a GM owners manual in the last 20 years or so that tells where the filter is; this is nothing new.
Gee I wonder why...? The other 2 cars (Toyota Tercel, and Suzuki XL7)that my father owns have very detailed instruction manuals with in depth guides on maintenance.

Originally Posted by Tank07
u realize that if you take the engine cover off the oil filter is right there.........they are a joke to change.......i changed the oil in my balt my moms balt and my brothers HHR all under 25 min.....
I know... Did reading comprehension go out of style in this generation?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM

seriously the oil change is a joke my girlfriend can do that ****. and she's as car illiterate as the next girl.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

This is exactly why I opt to pay my dealer to do my oil changes. It's $65 for a Mobil 1 oil change but if they **** it up, they fix it
Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 PM

25 N m is nothing... Gravity exerts more force on a 3 kg weight...

Gee I wonder why...? The other 2 cars (Toyota Tercel, and Suzuki XL7)that my father owns have very detailed instruction manuals with in depth guides on maintenance.

I know... Did reading comprehension go out of style in this generation?
whats that supposed to mean?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOO WHO! Wanna trade?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I did use the proper tool, I got 1 and 1/4 in regular socket. Even if I did get the filter cap off with said socket, this thread would have happened regardless. Who at GM thought that this piece of plastic would need a ginormous 1 and 1/4 inch head when a 3/8ths head would have easily gotten the job done. Its not like the cap needs to be torqued down a shitload. It needs 25 N m for ***** sake. Having a 3/8ths head on the filter cap also saves me the trouble of switching between sockets to loosen the drain plug. Methinks GM did this so more owners would resort to bringing their car in to the stealership for basic services like oil changes. The fact that the owners' manual does not mention where the oil filter is located backs up my point.

Now I'm going to solve this problem myself, either I'm going to machine a new oil filter cap out of 7075 aluminum and put a 3/8ths head with an 8mm allen key broaching on it or I'm going to make a wrench out of a piece of flatbar and cut a 1 and 1/4 in square in the end.

On to the dipstick... Whats up with the limp dick dipstick? If they can't get a dipstick right, why bother making a car? It amuses me that the diagram of the dipstick in the manual does not even correspond with the one found in my car. Is it really hard to stamp the letters F and L onto a dipstick? Painting it black also would have been nice, it pisses me off that reading a dipstick could be this difficult.

Overall, I'm not impressed by these 2 issues but thats what you get for 16k...

They probably used a large socket on the cap (32mm) to disperse the torque arcross the entire cap. Using a smaller socket size would have put all the torque when tightening or removing the cap right on the middle of the cap instead of distributing it to the edges. That would have caused lots of broken caps, so easier to make the socket larger. The reason they probably made the cap out of plastic is probably a two fold issue, 1 being plastic is cheap and 2 being that you can't strip the canister threads with a plastic cap. If you strip those threads you are S-C-R-E-W-E-D, literally.

I use a 32mm short socket with a 12 inch extension and have never had any problems, of course getting the filter out around the SC is a real bitch, but once you figure out how to turn it to get out out under the Sc it really is easy. I can do an oil change in my car in 5 minutes if you don't count the time while waiting for the oil to drain.

I will agree with the dipstick thing. The ladder looking piece you look at to check the oil sucks and is very hard to read until you get about a thousand or two miles on the car and the oil darkens enough to see the level on the goofy stick.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by shutzero
ecotecs are the easiest oil changes ever. the supercharger is a pia, but i'd rather take off an oil filter there than underneath the car wedged in somewhere thats impossible to stick your hand. and theres like no mess with the drop in filter. how can you be complaining? get the proper tools/know what your doing and this thread wouldn't exist
this

I burned my hand on the DP on my DSM soooooooooo many times... I love not getting 2nd degree burns when taking this filter out.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Hmmmmmmm....

If you're gonna do the work, ya gotta have the right tool for the job you are doing. There is a special socket just for the Cobalt oil filter. LISLE is one brand that works well. See copy/paste description and part number below:

Detailed Description
Oil Filter Socket for GM 2.2 Liter

Features and Benefits:
This special socket removes and installs oil filters on 2.2 liter GM Ecotec engines
The low profile 1-1/4" socket is specially designed for operating clearance
3/8" drive

The right tool, knowledge and experiance makes an otherwise difficult procedure, very easy. I would have left it alone and sought help before I would take a pair of pliers to my new car. OUCH.....
If something that simple disappoints you or lowers your expectations of your new Cobalt, you possibly need more "challenges" of everyday living or things are very smooth in your life.
Automotive features have changed drastically over recent years due to economics, fuel economy and new materials. It is overall, very upscale for Chevrolets "entry level" model.
Hopefully you will enjoy new new Cobalt and it gives you great service in the future.

GTO 1
Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM

change my oil for me and you'll respect yours alot more
Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My 2.2L is the easiest oil change ever, and the dipstick really isn't that hard to read....pretty simple actually. If you don't like it take it back and get a ford, those are fun oil changes.......
Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 PM

There is one complaint I have about the 09 2.2 engine's filter access. On the 05-08 models they had an indentation in the piping over the filter cap. The 09s don't have that indentation.

Still easier to get to than my SS/SC's though.