Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

rear clunk when turning left, Please HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear clunk when turning left, Please HELP !!!

Few weeks ago installed SSC lowering springs (previous model(21-3021) not new ones avail from SSC) I Love the drop, looks great, handles great.

Heres the problem, when driving lower speeds(30-50k) taking a left turn (nothin too hard) i can hear a low frequency thunk thunk thunk from the rear passenger side, somtimes just one thunk, somtimes a few if i hold the turn a bit.

I have inspected all my work 5 seperate times, looking for spring seating issues, bindiing, rubbing etc. nothing found.

No marks for tire rub, suspension rubbing, muffler & exhaust, cant find anything contacting.

I have torqued and re-torqued my upper and lower shock bolts 3 seperate times as well as paint marked bolt heads to inspect for any possible movment. Also last time used fair amount of thread locker and reTQ to spec. Replaced rear shock absorbers last week.

Bump stops were cut the required amount as per SSC instructions.

When i checked the TQ level of the Bolts connected to the frame for the rear bushings for the lower rear control arm, they were under spec ( i never touched these during spring install), re-tq to spec, however problem still exsists. Inspected the rear control arm bushings and couldnt see any damage or cracking, also took to shop had midas look for problems, nothing found.

Inspected all suspension hangers, they r all in good shape and all attatched, suspension does move more than i remember but i could not replicate any contact nor see any areas that had evidence of rubbing anywhere.

Shocks handle bumps on straights proprly never any noise (thunking), no suspension loss, can still take corners hard and no noise present on hard left cornering.

Also i cannot say if the noise was there prior to the spring install as i routinly have the tunes and 12's bumpin, only noticed noise after springs install (turned tunes down to listen for anything abnormal from recent install).

(nothing in trunk to be thrown around and i have my spare and jack removed.)

I figure its a bushing thing? and was possibly there prior to me getting under there.
just wanted some thoughts bf i take it to a shop to have the bushings replaced.

needless to say im stumped haha

thanks to all in advance for your input!
cheers
Old 03-13-2012, 12:28 PM

UPDATE
turns out it was my passenger side tail lamp, the outer lens camre undone from its adhesive and began to move.
I cannot believe it! after hours under the car and trouble shooting with mechanic, turns out to b something dumb and simple. hahaha shiz
Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM

glad you found the problem!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM

hahaha great name......blinker fluid ahahaha hate when i run outta fluid, stupid blinkers