Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Relearn? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relearn? Need advice

Hey guys so got the stage 2 on and a nice check engine light to go with it and fluctuating idle. Got 3 codes which I'm guessing all are normal but need help with relearn or do I need It and how do I do it or how do I clear codes/light?

Codes-crank postion, air/coolant temp sensors too. Drives good other then the rough idle sometimes. Def faster for sure lol. Can anyone help me out and does the relearn take the light off or what do we do for that part.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
first off, what stage 2 did you get? gm, zzp, ottp, etc? and what are the actual code numbers (will start with a P and have 4 digit number). the description you gave is too vague for us to figure anything out.

the only code thats normal after swapping a pcm would be cam/crank correlation, and you need to get a CAS relearn done. any other codes are an issue.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:27 PM

Hey sharkey I got the zzp stage 2 with the 3.0 pulley, 60lb injectors and the exchanger. I did get the relearn code.

I guess the real question is does driving and stacking miles clear this or do I need to do a relearn and if so do you have the steps for that?

Next step is the header since it's the only part I have left. Saving now for the crate motor though. I'd like to get to 350horses eventually
Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 PM

you need to have someone with hp tuners or a proper scan tool (gm tech 2 or 3, snap on, otc, etc) do a cas learn
The following users liked this post:
Jbishop0352 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Sharkey thanks man and another quick question for the relearn a dealership can do these right? And they would program with the 60lb injectors? I ask because I see some comments like they delete the tune on it and honestly it's only a few horsepower that get lost I'd be cool with that. I'm just trying to get the car to run right.

Got the stage 2 in and it's been crazy and check eng light with the relearn code being needed. Just want to get her back in the road and no more issues.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:41 AM

they are not reflashing the ecm with a different tune, they are just hooking up a scan tool so they can perform a cas learn. this can also be done if you have an aeroforce intercepter gauge.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Cool so let me ask you this- I have the eng power reduced on now and can't really drive it? Is this typical of putting or swapping our the pcm? How do you fix or clear this?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:27 PM

no thats not normal. you have something causing that problem. check the connection on your throttle body for a start.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:30 PM

I just unhooked the battery and checking them all. Everything seems good to go. Going to try to drive to local advance and run and clear the codes. Yesterday I was getting the Cas relearn needed but it went nuts again. Just getting to the end if the road it cuts off on me .. Def no fun for sure. Going to wait 10 mins then hook it back up and see what happens
Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
How many threads are you going to make about this?

Have you gone over everything you've touched making sure it's installed correctly. Did you get the right PCM for your setup.

Any maintenance items you avoiding?

Making 5 threads just adds confusion. Keeping discussion on one place is way better for troubleshooting.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Yea cluelessk I even went over every wire harness and item I touched. Undid the battery several times and nothing had cleared this issue. Went back to advance and it got about 9 codeswhich are repeats of the same 2 or 3 actual codes , they can't clear them wit their scan tool. So going to try to get these codes cleared out and will have to get the Cas relearn done too. Honestly at this point I don't care if they delete the tune if it works right

I got the zzp kit that came with the pcm and should be correct. The only thing I haven't don't that I might is put back the factory fuel injectors and pcm and see what that does. At this point I don't know what else to do which is why I've been asking for help.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:20 PM

we cant help if you cant tell us what the codes are. and you cant just clear codes, they set for a reason.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Sharkey I know brother and trust me I appreciate the help. The last check was 8 it 9 codes and he said most were doubled up. The last ones I got were the Cas relearn, throttle postion, idle air.

I'm not going to clear them just to think that fixes it lol. But man its idling bad and I think these codes are hung up between the swaps. Id be clearing out the stored codes to find the real issue is more what I meant. So I just checked everything again and went over wire by wire, changed the plugs because they were shot and basically did the zzp stage 2 install over minus the pulley. When I got this car nothing was wrong but of course I've got bad luck. The only parts or wires I removed were to install the new injectors amd rail, charger itself, pcm. They are all hooked back up. I'm sure the parts could be cleaned up though but I don't wake to cause anymore issues.

Funny thing is car cranked and was doing great and was letting it idle for minute and sounded normal again then it starting the engine reduce power again but sounds like it's running weird lIke a lawnmower motor sound. Sounds like it's running on 2 Cy versus 4 if that makes sense. I think the codes are stored causing some issues. But the relearn is definitely what's needed but I gotta be able to drive to get to the dealer to be a leader to get that done.

So what steps do you reccomend I do or try to get this back on the road sir? You guys are the pros so I'm game for any help and advice I can get.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:58 PM

before we can recommend anything we need to know the code numbers. there are numorous different codes for the throttle position or idle air, and each one will take you down a different path for diagnostics

the only thing i can say at this point is check your throttle body electrical connector. you would have had to unhook this to pull the blower to swap the pulley. check the throttle body side itself for a bent pin, you may have to pull the throttle body off to have a proper look.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Will do I'm also going to getting my obd II that I haveback from my brother. He is borrowing it and will be tomorrow or the next day. I can't even drive the SS since it's running so bad. Once I get the current codes I will respond back.

The last time I tested it it had the crank position sensor, idle air/coolant and throttle postion. All from when I put the zzp stage 2 on the first time. I figured that was just from when I unplugged them all to get the kit on. Once I get my tester I'll respond back and with the current codes. It has several codes stored since we took that pcm out to swar old back in to trouble shoot or find where the issues were and if it was bad pcm..

Thanks again Sharkey for the help. I'll reply back when tested again and let you know what I'm getting.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM

So just to update everyone I got ahold of Ryan at ZZP and they are having me send the factory pcm back to flash that one instead of the one they gave me. Hopefully this will fix my issue and get it back on the road.

It will be a week I imagine with shipping back to me before I can update further- but thanks to everyone who has chipped in so far. Hopefully this thing fires up so I can run down the track and see what the et will be.