Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Removed valve cover, now get Engine Disabled and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed valve cover, now get Engine Disabled and won't start

Newish 2007 Cobalt owner coming from working on an older Accord. Seemed simple enough to open the valve cover to investigate some knocking. The surfaces looked ok, although I noticed there was a fair amount of sand that made its way into the oil ( Air filter wasn't sealed well when I bought it) I poured about 1/4 of a quart of oil over the cam shafts to wash off the sand. Oil level still within the margins after doing this. Put everything back together, but didn't have the ground cable fully secured when I went to turn the ignition. First key turn sounded like normal, except it didn't turn over. After tightening the ground cable nothing happened after key turned. Engine light came on with the msg Engine Disabled on display. I searched the forum and tried unplugging the battery for 30min. Seemed to work as the engine light was off and no message, but when I tried to start it, it didn't turn over. Unplugged the batter again while also disconnecting the ecm for about 20min. Engine disabled light remains now and nothing happens when I turn the key.

Double checked all my electric connections, along with fuse box under the hood. Plan on rechecking the spark plugs in the morning since I checked them while I had it open.

~Dolt with a Cobalt
Old 05-24-2018, 02:24 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the only way to know whats actually going on is to scan it. even a cheap code reader will get you somewhere. anything else you do (such as checking plugs) is just a guess.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, it seems like the main codes are P0651 and P2101 which the others stem from - P0107, P0122,P0220, P0223, and P1682

I am pretty new to diagnosing electrical issues. In the middle of figuring out how to diagnose the Throttle Actuator Control Motor, but haven't been able to find a pin diagram. The picture shows how far I got, but most of the pins didn't give any connectivity or voltage readings. Anyone know of any reference or have insight into the codes might be referring to?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
usually when problems pop up after any type of work is performed, the problem is caused by something you did.

-make sure none of the pins on the throttle body are bent over
-i see fresh electrical tape on the wiring harness, whats the reasoning for that?
-check your fuses. this is the first step

now you have a number of codes there, but the one that stands out is p1682, that code relates to your ignition 1 circuit. basicly there are 2 ignition feeds to the ecm, and if one of those circuits has a problem it sets this code. if you have issues with a voltage supply to the ecm thats the first thing you need to diagnose as it is quite possible its causing other problems. the info im reading shows the ignition 1 circuit feeds the throttle circuits in the ecm.

follow the diagnostics on that code first, but like i said, check your fuses first. past that, have a look at a diagram for the ecm power feeds, get an idea how the circuit functions before you do anything more.