Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Rocker arm fell off

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker arm fell off

Hi everyone first time posting, few days ago I heard a knocking sound after driving for 5 mins bedding my new brakes. I shut it down and got my phone to record and second time firing engine sounded fine(probably rocker arm already fallen out). Thinking it was the timing chain tensioner problem I open up the valve cover and see that the rocker arm got ejected. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to put the rocker back in and ensure it stays in. Looks like it was just the rocker, lash adjuster looks intact. Any help appreciated
Attached Thumbnails 20161222_131517.jpg   20161222_131543.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
my old car popped 6 out at once. I just loosened the cam and put them back under and it drove fine after
Old 12-22-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by royce777
my old car popped 6 out at once. I just loosened the cam and put them back under and it drove fine after
Could you elaborate on loosening the cam? I'm very new to the ecotec world coming from the LS world. Sounds like good news though.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:51 PM

I guess I'll follow these directions for someone on yourcobalt doing a lash adjuster, will report how that went

-Remove the valve cover.
-I zipped tied the timing chain to the cam sprockets but I don't feel it was necessary... Better safe than sorry I guess.
-I removed the cam cap on the driver's side of the engine
-I loosened the cam bearing caps from the driver's side to the passenger side in order to slightly tilt the cam to get to the followers. (do not remove the cam, just tilt it slightly to get to the followers, it does not take very much)
-Remove the follower that was previously determined to be loose.
-Under the follower you will see a nipple. that is the tip of the hydraulic lasher. Remove it gently with needle nose pliers.
-Install the new hydraulic lasher.
-Place the follower back over the lasher and the valve.
-Gently re-torque the cam (progressively) to 89 inch lbs. (that's about 7.7 to 8 ft. lbs. )
-REMOVE ZIP TIES!
-Turn engine over by hand to make sure all is good.
-Put valve cover back on.
-Crank engine with ignition module unplugged to build oil pressure.
-Start engine.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
i didn't even remove the cam caps I just loosened them and slipped the rocker arm back under.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:18 PM

Ok so it was also a broken lash adjuster. Put the rocker back in place, went to manually turn the engine, knocked the rocker off and also broke the top off the lash adjuster. Hopefully I got all the metal pieces out before I replace it...and the chain tensioner. Hopefully any metal pieces come out with an oil change, if not...
Attached Thumbnails 20161222_160347.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by royce777
i didn't even remove the cam caps I just loosened them and slipped the rocker arm back under.
Yeah today was very eye opening lol, that nothing but the cam lobes hold down the rockers
Old 12-22-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
The rockers are held "up" by the adjuster against the cam and valve. If they are popping out, you have a faulty adjuster that isn't staying pumped up. Usually see them ejected from an over-rev event, which can cause other damage but it's better than the valve staying open and smacking a piston.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The rockers are held "up" by the adjuster against the cam and valve. If they are popping out, you have a faulty adjuster that isn't staying pumped up. Usually see them ejected from an over-rev event, which can cause other damage but it's better than the valve staying open and smacking a piston.
My bad you're right, they were all loose because I had the bearing caps off and the cam lifted. I need a beer...
Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
you need to clean out that engine and more then likely replace all the lash adjusters
Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
you need to clean out that engine and more then likely replace all the lash adjusters
Cleaning out the engine is a top priority but I thought the lash adjusters could be replaced on a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" basis no?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysterion
I guess I'll follow these directions for someone on yourcobalt doing a lash adjuster, will report how that went

-Remove the valve cover.
-I zipped tied the timing chain to the cam sprockets but I don't feel it was necessary... Better safe than sorry I guess.
-I removed the cam cap on the driver's side of the engine
-I loosened the cam bearing caps from the driver's side to the passenger side in order to slightly tilt the cam to get to the followers. (do not remove the cam, just tilt it slightly to get to the followers, it does not take very much)
-Remove the follower that was previously determined to be loose.
-Under the follower you will see a nipple. that is the tip of the hydraulic lasher. Remove it gently with needle nose pliers.
-Install the new hydraulic lasher.
-Place the follower back over the lasher and the valve.
-Gently re-torque the cam (progressively) to 89 inch lbs. (that's about 7.7 to 8 ft. lbs. )
-REMOVE ZIP TIES!
-Turn engine over by hand to make sure all is good.
-Put valve cover back on.
-Crank engine with ignition module unplugged to build oil pressure.
-Start engine.
Why would you need to crank engine to build oil pressure? Its no different than starting ur car any other time. I'd understand if u installed a new turbo or something on a turbo car, but not for this. Otherwise u may as well do that every time u leave ur car sitting for the night
Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysterion
Cleaning out the engine is a top priority but I thought the lash adjusters could be replaced on a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" basis no?
with the condition on the inside of the engine a little preventative fixing can go along way and the zip ties don't help keep the engine in time
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
with the condition on the inside of the engine a little preventative fixing can go along way and the zip ties don't help keep the engine in time
I ended up using a whole roll of shop towels on it, replaced tensioner and lifter/rocker. No problems since, taking it easy though. I'll upgrade springs and lifters when I'm ready for more power.