Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

So My car blows....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So My car blows....

Hot Air with Cirulation and Full Cold AC selected. I tried refilling it with the 30 dollar bottle at Autozone with the gauge on it (I've done this a few times to other cars). As soon as I plug it into the Lowside, Gauge returns 0 PSI (no R-134) on it. So I'm like cool, easy fix. I start to open the valve on the bottle and the ******* neck that attaches the hose to the bottle SNAPS. The bottle has approx. 80 PSI of pressure on it so I let it sit and drain (I'm still in the Autozone Parking lot) I go inside and grab the tech. He refunds the money to me. Easy enough but I don't have AC and the summer temps are starting...

So I'm sitting at 82000 Miles and I'm wondering if the Compressor has gone bad, would it be covered under the powertrain warranty? I REALLY can't afford to replace this thing on my own dime...

Car is an 08 SS/NA LE5 with a CAI.

I did notice the compressor clutch wasn't engaging at all. There is a slight fluctuation in the RPM (700-1000) with the AC set to on. Normally just idles at 700 without it on. Any insight? Or would a refill on the system fix this?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Compressor wont engage if refrigerant pressure is to low or to high. I would get the system checked for leaks if your autozone refills dont last long in the system.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ctfu @ 08SS/NA
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Ok first of all your A/C system should never have to be "re-filled" at anytime. If it does then obviously there is a leak. Second of all buying a bottle of refrigerant from autozone and putting it in the system is no way to fix that problem at all. That should NEVER be done on any vehicle. Even with a guage set on it you have no idea how much is already in the system, plus if there is a leak then there is likely air in the lines, which causes moisture...which is not friendly in an A/C system. The compresser will NOT turn on if the system is over or under pressurized. You need to get it checked out at a shop where they have the proper equipment to diagnose this issue. If you keep filling it with those bottles you will do more harm then good, so i would stop. Also the idle will go up when the compressor turns on because that puts quite a strain on the motor, thats normal.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 AM

I never put refrigerant into the car. Recharging bottle broke when I tried to refill the system. I'm taking it to the dealership on friday to get it looked at. My main concern is if its covered under warranty or not...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by Nabes07SS
Ok first of all your A/C system should never have to be "re-filled" at anytime. If it does then obviously there is a leak. Second of all buying a bottle of refrigerant from autozone and putting it in the system is no way to fix that problem at all. That should NEVER be done on any vehicle. Even with a guage set on it you have no idea how much is already in the system, plus if there is a leak then there is likely air in the lines, which causes moisture...which is not friendly in an A/C system. The compresser will NOT turn on if the system is over or under pressurized. You need to get it checked out at a shop where they have the proper equipment to diagnose this issue. If you keep filling it with those bottles you will do more harm then good, so i would stop. Also the idle will go up when the compressor turns on because that puts quite a strain on the motor, thats normal.
a car does use freon and eventually needs a recharge
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 AM

It is not covered under powertrain warranty as far as I know. If you have no freon then find the leak. In my 05 the electronics in the clutch went bad. To test the clutch unplug the sensor on the compressor and check for 12v with the car running ans a/c set to on. I was able the just order the clutch assembly for a fraction of the cost of a new compressor.

The compressor can be replaced with basic hand tools but first make sure you dont have a leak. I get my car parts from rockauto. But first be sure you dont have a leak.

Dealer is gonna charge a $75+ diagnostic fee if it isnt under warranty and you dont have the work done.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Hopefully the tech I'm friends with can weasel it in under the powertrain. If not I have one other option to pay for the repairs. And as far as a car never needing a recharge that's BS. Every 2-3 years most cars will need a recharge and its about that time for my car. I'm gonna take to a non dealer mechanic to have him diagnose the system if I can today.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 PM

So I have an appointment at 4 oclock at the local Firestone (I bought my tires from them so they know me pretty well) and they are going to run a diagnostic on the system to see whats going on. From the symptoms Ive been telling him, he says it sounds like the compressor is done but won't know for sure until he runs the tests on it.

If the compressor is going bad or is bad obviously it will be a replacement but Ill keep this thread updated with the results and costs for everyone else.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Condensed Version of what happened @ Firestone:

Cooling Fan (electrical) on Radiator failed. Caused overheating of Freeon circulating which in turn burned out Compressor and Condenser. Not covered by Warranty (Warranty covers internal moving parts on Engine and Transmission.

Estimated cost for repair: $1750.00 @ Firestone
Estimated cost for repair: $300.00 @ Dealership (I know the tech's and salesmen there pretty good)

Dropping it off tomorrow for further diagnostic and repairs tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I was going to say, if you can find a tech that can get that fixed under POWERTRAIN warranty....you owe him the best ******* he's ever had.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Just shoot some r-12 into it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM

So far the costs to me are:

$42 (AC Check + Diagnostic + Evacuation + Recharging)

**EDIT**

Your sig is ******* disturbing, Is it real?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hammbones
So far the costs to me are:

$42 (AC Check + Diagnostic + Evacuation + Recharging)

**EDIT**

Your sig is ******* disturbing, Is it real?
Obviously not.

Anyways, sometimes it can be the pressure switch too.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM

OH I forgot to mention Ill be receiving a loaner vehicle while my car gets repaired =)
Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 AM

Aight so here's the final word. Repairs are complete.

Expansion Valve Replaced
Compressor Replaced
Vacuum Line Replaced
Evac + Recharged

Total Paid for Repairs: 341.82 (including the original $41 from Firestone). The compressor was replaced under warranty. The guy called it a "Goodwill Repair" LMAO... Of course this was after I went to the Sales Manager, who referred me to the Service Manager (Meanwhile buddy is in tow following me around making sure I didn't get the run-around). Walked out an hour later with the vehicle in the bay and getting worked on.

Just so everyone knows, the compressors run over $1000 (Just for the part) so I would make sure you get a "service" done to your compressor this Spring!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hammbones
Aight so here's the final word. Repairs are complete.

Expansion Valve Replaced
Compressor Replaced
Vacuum Line Replaced
Evac + Recharged

Total Paid for Repairs: 341.82 (including the original $41 from Firestone). The compressor was replaced under warranty. The guy called it a "Goodwill Repair" LMAO... Of course this was after I went to the Sales Manager, who referred me to the Service Manager (Meanwhile buddy is in tow following me around making sure I didn't get the run-around). Walked out an hour later with the vehicle in the bay and getting worked on.

Just so everyone knows, the compressors run over $1000 (Just for the part) so I would make sure you get a "service" done to your compressor this Spring!
For that kind of money i'll use 2-70 AC!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 AM

anyone know how to stop the clicking on the ac when its in 1 and 2
and whats with the water dripping onto the passenger side? 05 ss/sc?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by quikdcride
anyone know how to stop the clicking on the ac when its in 1 and 2
and whats with the water dripping onto the passenger side? 05 ss/sc?
Make sure the condensation drain isn't plugged.