Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

SS pulling to the left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SS pulling to the left?

My SS is pulling to the left. I had the front end aligned and the tires checked, supposedly they are OK. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it fixed.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Birddog
My SS is pulling to the left. I had the front end aligned and the tires checked, supposedly they are OK. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it fixed.
Is this when you are driving normally, or is it only under hard acceleration?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:44 PM

If this is under hard accelaration, the torque will cause the car to shift left or right...the way i compensate for that is finding a good position on the steering wheel and stiffining my whole arm....someone post the term for that problem because I can never remember what its called
Old 11-18-2005, 02:46 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine pulls to the left slightly also.

Not much though, does not bother me.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:51 PM

its called torque steer. i dont notcie any during hard accelleration but i do have the G85, dunno if that helps. ive heard srt-4's have really bad torque steer to the right.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:54 PM
The Stig

Maybe you are *driving* with your left hand too much

Also keep in mind there are 100+ lbs on one side of the car (you).
Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 PM

my ss also pulls to the left
Old 11-18-2005, 04:13 PM
360 L337 User

yeah mine goes straight
Old 11-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Mine pulls all over!! Oh ya thats when I floor it!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:36 AM

It pulls hard to the left under normal driving conditions. It causes arm fatique. While driving the steering wheel is cocked to the right and when I let go of the wheel the car will veer to the left. Don't like it and want it fixed, never had a car do this before. And yes it does torque left when on the gas, FUN FUN FUN...........
Old 11-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Domestics Pwn

If you let go of the steering wheel going down a flat road is the steering wheel off center ? I know at my shop a lot of times we get alignment complaints when actually the wheel is just slightly off center...
Old 11-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Mine pulls left also. Had two alignments done, nothing has fixed it.
I've also picked up a nice sharp clunk from the left front wheel well when I go over uneven pavements at a bit of speed. Almost like a busted strut...but at 9500 miles????
Old 11-19-2005, 05:19 PM

I have the same problem. Since I've bought mine, it pulls to the left under normal driving.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by BullDog71ss
Mine pulls left also. Had two alignments done, nothing has fixed it.
I've also picked up a nice sharp clunk from the left front wheel well when I go over uneven pavements at a bit of speed. Almost like a busted strut...but at 9500 miles????
Mine kinda does the clunk, but on the right side. As for pulling, I don't remember. I'm used to driving vehicles that pull, so it is just natural for me to correct sub conciously.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:47 PM

Mine just started to pull to the left...it bothers me alot cuz i dont drive with my left hand...
Old 11-20-2005, 02:10 AM

Mine has also pulled the left since i've bought it. I never drove with my left hand before this car, but you kind of have to to keep this car straight... well and its a stick so you need your right hand for shifting.

Dealer checked alignment, it appears good. Dunno man.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 AM

I was talking to a friend of mine who had just done a mechanical inspection on a new Malibu Maxx for police, also with electric steering, which a woman and her mother both got into a fatal accident with...

He determined from his own research/teardown of the wreck and the police report that the reason for the accident was because the electric steering had failed and suddenly jerked to the right, out of her control.

The woman who survived told police that the car had been taken into the dealership and she complained about her having to compensate all the time because it would pull ever so slightly to the right.

Anyways, when I first told my Friend I got my Cobalt he immediately asked me if it pulls to one side or not... I told him no, and he then told me this story, and if the car ever does start to pull, not to drive it and get the dealership to look at it immediately.

Just a heads up.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Thanks Leafy for the story. I'm going to have the dealership look at the steering. If I let go of the wheel going down a flat straight road the car will veer almost 45 degrees left. Even on a 2 lane highway in the right lane that falls to the right it still veers drasticly to the left. Thanks for aal of you who replied t this post.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:38 PM

99% your rotors are warped

my 05 Black SS/SC does it
and 90berretaGTZ does it as well.,..

i noticed that the breaks where worn down accessivly about 3 months ago took it in and the stupid bastard service rep told me that it is normal and under hard breaking the rotors get hot and it takes time for them to cool down

HES A F%#KING IDIOT....... the are gougded and worn way to much for at the time having roughly 7000 k's on the car

no my car shakes and pulls to the right and under most breaking it shakes harder and pulls even worse.......

i have to take it in this monday or tuesday and they said they would take it for a test drive and try to duplicate the same thing (IDIOTS)............
Old 11-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Definatly keeping an eye on my steering now.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:19 PM

Leafy's story scared me..now, I'm paranoid.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:09 AM

it is called torque steer. getting a limited slip differential will help some. but the key word is "limited" slip. It will still probably pull some but with both tires spinning closer together, it might go straighter. I dont know, but if the SS has traction control, it could be causing the brake wear. All traction control does is apply the brake to the spinning wheel. Applied brake while driving will cause it to heat up and cause the rotor to warp. This can cause pulling, vibration in the steering wheel, and even vibration at the pedal
Old 11-21-2005, 02:50 PM

My Red Line does the same thing, I also have the clunk that BullDog71ss mentioned. I've taken it into the dealership twice and they've check the alignment and say it is correct.

It is not cause by warped rotors because I've had my pads and rotors replaced and it still does it. It is not the wheels/tires because I put new wheels and tires on the car and it pulls still. My guess is that it is the electric steering not returning completly to center after a turn.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by forcedgminduction
it is called torque steer. getting a limited slip differential will help some. but the key word is "limited" slip. It will still probably pull some but with both tires spinning closer together, it might go straighter. I dont know, but if the SS has traction control, it could be causing the brake wear. All traction control does is apply the brake to the spinning wheel. Applied brake while driving will cause it to heat up and cause the rotor to warp. This can cause pulling, vibration in the steering wheel, and even vibration at the pedal
Haha. Torque steer has nothing to do with the pull we are experiencing dude. The cars pull even when not under excelleration of any kind.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Leafy
I was talking to a friend of mine who had just done a mechanical inspection on a new Malibu Maxx for police, also with electric steering, which a woman and her mother both got into a fatal accident with...

He determined from his own research/teardown of the wreck and the police report that the reason for the accident was because the electric steering had failed and suddenly jerked to the right, out of her control.

The woman who survived told police that the car had been taken into the dealership and she complained about her having to compensate all the time because it would pull ever so slightly to the right.

Anyways, when I first told my Friend I got my Cobalt he immediately asked me if it pulls to one side or not... I told him no, and he then told me this story, and if the car ever does start to pull, not to drive it and get the dealership to look at it immediately.

Just a heads up.
Don't know about the new cars, but my '98 GTP was recalled, as well as a few other mid-size cars around that year, for a defect that could cause right power assist in certain conditions, on some occasions, even while turning left. Never experienced anything like that with mine, but I took it in and they replaced the part. I would certainly hope that GM corrected this in newer cars built after the recall.

Quick Reply: SS pulling to the left?