Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Steering Wheel Shake - YES, another thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Shake - YES, another thread

Hey guys,

I've read a number of threads about steering wheel shakes and I'm definitely not a noob to the forums.

Since 30k miles, my Cobalt has had the oddest of steering wheel shakes under braking conditions. It isn't consistent, meaning that the shake does not occur every time I hit the brakes. If the wheels are turned in either direction while I brake, there is no noticeable shaking. When it happens I'm always braking from 40mph+ and seems to be worse if I'm barely applying the brakes than if i actually put a little more pressure on.

So you know what I've done thus far:
Have had wheels rebalanced every time they've come off the car.
Have replaced the rotors and brakes with EBC performance components (Green Stuff pads).
Neither option above has addressed the issue.

I am currently at 116k miles and the same issue that's plagued me since day 30k miles.

Any new ideas? What could cause this?

ALSO, in addition.....About 1k miles ago my a have a new rather dull "thunggg" sound coming from my suspension while stopped(probably occurs at higher speeds but I can't hear). If the wheel is perfectly straight, and I steer it to the right(with or without power steering engaged) and then take it to the left passed perfect center, the dull "thunggg" sound occurs. Thoughts on this? Could whatever produces this sound also be what is causing my steering wheel vibrations, but hasn't made itself audible till here recently?

Help me out fellas. Please.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its hard to diagnose a vehicle over the interwebz, but the "dull thunggg sound" may be a front spring shifting around; If thats the case more than likely the bearings in the front strut plate have seized and aren't functioning properly.

On the braking issue; first thing I would suspect is the brakes; When you replaced the pads/rotors did you pull the caliper slides and clean&re lube them? How did you go about burnishing in the pads&rotors?

I currently have OE replacement rotors and Hawk HP+ pads and occasionally I get a brake vibration after some hard backroading, but then they smooth themselves out after a couple of "break in" stops.

If possible, raise your front end and check out the entire front suspension for any movement; and check out the rear spherical bushings on the front control arms. I have always had someone else in the shop watch the front tires while I hit the brakes and look for the tire to shift in the wheelwell.

I know I am missing something but I cannot think of it right now.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the front control arm bushings, we had a jetta come into the shop, did the brakes, and rotors still the same issue, ran it on the lift and every time the brakes were pressed the front wheels would move back and forth in the wheel well. turned out the rear bushing on the front control arm was toast.