Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Supercharger(i think) making a weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger(i think) making a weird sound

For a couple weeks now I've been noticing a sound coming from my engine which got pretty bad and its like some sort of rattle forced by air.... by the supercharger probably, its very hard to explain the sound. It kind of sounds like a few very tiny pebbles in a tin can being shakin quickly but not really. It only occurs when I accelerate and is better heard at 2-4 rpms. My friend told me he thought it could be the bearing in the supercharger, my supercharger needing some kind of oil, or something to do with a pin sized hole in some vac line or something(I'm no mechanic i don't know these things ) but I thought I'd come here to see if anyone can help me out more than that because he seemed very unsure. I'm super paranoid right now because have no warranty on my car anymore and the sound is driving me nuts. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I did use the search tool and a guy posted a video of some supercharger sound and that isn't it, it doesn't sound like dice in a thick plastic cup.

If needed I can make a video of what it sounds like, only if reallly needed.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the coupler inside the supercharger. get a vid
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
sounds like the coupler inside the supercharger. get a vid
Interesting. How long can I go with this problem before anything bad happens, and what would it cost to get it fixed? I'll prob make a vid tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned

just dont take the car into boost

couples aren't expensive
Old 04-29-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by DomCas
Interesting. How long can I go with this problem before anything bad happens, and what would it cost to get it fixed? I'll prob make a vid tomorrow.
http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...de=LSJ_Pulleys
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 AM

I'd like for this to be the problem but I noticed something. Taken right from the site that usfss showed me. (thanks btw)

"The coupler is the part that mates the supercharger rotors to the belt driven snout. Over time the stock coupler wears out and the holes become oblong. This causes a rattle noise at idle. Neither GM nor Eaton offers replacement couplers instead they want you to have the supercharger rebuilt at a substantial cost."

Mine doesn't really make that sound at idle, but more when accelerating. It does make a "rattle" though.

EDIT: Today when I got in my car I listened to it idle and it DOES make that rattle sound, just not nearly as loud as when I accelerate. I'm almost positive it is the coupler now.

Last edited by DomCas; 04-29-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 AM

its the coupler. i had the same problem, it started only at idle and then it progressed to when i would accelerate. it a very easy fix too. if you need help let me know.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:11 AM

i called a GM dealer about that and i was told that the M62 is a loud supercharger...could he have been blowing smoke up my ass and just didnt know what he was talking about.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM

He most likely was cause when i brought mine in they told me it was normal supercharger noise or the best one is it happened in the shop while the car was running and for people turned around and just dead stared at the car. I looked at him and said, Do you hear it? his reply was NO. If you want, take the snout off and check the coupler, or send a pic in and one of us can tell you if there is a problem.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by thecobaltguy
i called a GM dealer about that and i was told that the M62 is a loud supercharger...could he have been blowing smoke up my ass and just didnt know what he was talking about.
Rule 1: GM dealers don't know jack S#!t. about our cars. They just sell 'em, and the service guys rarely know what's up with them either. Saturn dealers are even worse, cause there's much fewer Red Lines.

It's probably the coupler, which is a relatively cheap fix you can do in an afternoon. It might be able to be replaced with the blower on the car, but the blower isn't hard to remove, and it would make it much easier. You'll need to get some supercharger oil to refill the gearcase once you replace the coupler.

Mine's doing the same thing (but just at idle) and I'm waiting to do all the blower service at one time.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 AM

thanks for all the help and feedback! I'll let my friends that can actually help me fix this know whats up. Also, can I just get supercharger oil at auto zone or do I have to get it else where?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM

I don't think Autozone sells it, you may have to get some from the dealer (and as per rule #1, you better show up with part number in hand) or order some from an online dealer if you can wait a few days.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 AM

go through ZZP for the coupler. they have a package that will give you a new SC gasket, SC oil, and the polyurethane coupler. maybe 50-55 shipped.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by gos2difbeat
go through ZZP for the coupler. they have a package that will give you a new SC gasket, SC oil, and the polyurethane coupler. maybe 50-55 shipped.
You're my hero. Can I get a link so I can order this?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM

thats not a bad deal...i need to do mine i think so i might just get a package deal that comes with everything i need to do the job.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=155&catid=142

And my apologies the kit i mentioned comes with everything minus the SC gasket. however as long as you dont cut or bend the gasket you will be fine. i would suggest using the ZZP SC oil i personally think it made the SC run a little smoother.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 PM

I honestly don't think a syringe and tube is worth $15, so I'll pass on that, but the coupler and oil is a must. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM

that was happening to me right near the s/c it actually ended up being a bad belt tensioner... SAME thing that happened to you dood. just bring it to the dealer ask them to check the belt tensioner
Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 PM

I didnt get the syringe and tube, i just took the whole SC off the car and put it in my oil change pan and emptied it there.

Now to the tensioner comment, i got the dealership to replace it under warranty and i still had the rattle. OP try the belt tensioner first then order the kit. try the things that wont cost money first.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM

i'll make a video, post it on youtube, and link it here for you guys so you know exactly what it sounds like. I wont be making it for a few hours because I'm at work. Any suggestions on what to do other than let you guys hear what it sounds like?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM

while your car is off, Grab the SC pulley and move it side to side, up and down if it has play it is the coupler. you will know cause it wont seem right.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM

my pulley is tight so im not sure if that is what it is or not....its not always sounding rough
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 AM

sorry i forgot to add in my post that it will be tight if the belt is on. Take the belt off and try it.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:13 PM

u know that didnt click..i should have known that, but yeah i will do that...and if its loose then its the coupler. this coupler is just like an output seal or something...just pressed in or do u need a special tool?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by thecobaltguy
u know that didnt click..i should have known that, but yeah i will do that...and if its loose then its the coupler. this coupler is just like an output seal or something...just pressed in or do u need a special tool?
it just presses on to the gear. ill be doing mine next week and ill take pics.

ya i made the mistake of replacing with an OEM coupler and it warped on me again. i helped a buddy of mine install the ZZP one and that was about November and his is still holding very strong. so i bought mine yesterday and hopefully changing it this weekend, if not next week. Like i said ill make a how to and post it. ill give you guys the link.

Last edited by gos2difbeat; 04-30-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Supercharger(i think) making a weird sound