Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) problem

I picked up a set of Dunlop all season tires to handle the bad weather and still be a decent summer tire. I got them mounted and balanced on the stock wheels so the TPMS was still in the wheel.

Before I even put the new tires on, I've noticed that the tire pressure that is displayed on the dash would change 3-4psi between when I start the car cold and when I'm cruising on the highway at full operating temps. I keep checking pressure manually and it never seems to change. I just figured the system sucks?

Then I picked up the car from the shop with the new tires and the DIC read 32psi for all four tires on the money. I checked with my manual gauge and all were correct. So I drove the car home like 20 miles no problems. Later that evening I went to take the car out and the dash tells me to watch my tire pressure because it's low. It says the left rear tire has 20psi, so I go outside and check. My gauge reads 32psi on the nose. So I figured maybe it would change when it warmed up, but it did not. The DIC reads 32psi for the other 3 tires which also read 32psi on my tire pressure gauge. Then this morning the light is still on and it reads 8psi?? But the tire still has 32psi in it?

I vaguely remember reading something about an issue with the TPMS in these cars, but I couldn't seem to find the post or article I was reading. I did a brief search on the site and just came up with threads of people asking if there is a way to turn it off or how much it costs to get new sensors in new wheels.

Anyone else have a similar issue or know more about this problem? Thank you.

EDIT: Additionally, today, the car seems to pull to the left a bit.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 AM

TPM are overrated. theyre more of a headache then theyre worth sometimes. especially if you work at a dealership.

Id say get a good manual gauge and check them once every week or two and youll be more then fine.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM

I do have a good manual gauge and keep an eye on tire pressure. Correct tire pressure = good gas mileage!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:54 PM

tire pressure will go up after driving. air warms up, tires expand.

if your sensors not reading what your manual gauge says they may have damaged that sensor when they mounted your tire. its easy to do. go back and tell them about it. im sure they deal with that problem often. we do at the dealer i work at.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
umm ya there is a correct way to mount and balance tires with tpm sensors and then there is the old way which will break the sensor. common among inexperienced people doing tires. also worth a shot having them relearned but chances are the sensors were damaged.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It sounds like your manual gauge is broken, not the TPMS.

Why? Your gauge reads the same with tires cold and hot(it shouldnt) and because you said the left side tire has lost pressure according to the TPM but not according to your gauge, you also state it pulls to the left now, an underinflated tire will absolutely cause a pull.

Tire pressure typically increases 2-5psi during the course of normal driving.

The TPM system is pretty accurate, since 2003 I have never replaced a sensor becuase it said a tire was low when it wasnt,or was giving random incorrect pressures. common failures are for bad batteries, and sensors that dont transmit information at all.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 PM

BTW for those who don't know with the TPMS... you cannot just rotate your tires... you have to take it to the dealer to "RELEARN" each corner!

WHAT CRAP!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1badBlueberrySC
BTW for those who don't know with the TPMS... you cannot just rotate your tires... you have to take it to the dealer to "RELEARN" each corner!

WHAT CRAP!
FALSE.

A: you only have to relearn them if you actually want the pressures to display in the proper locations, the function isnt affected, its just that your right front tire is flat, the display isgoing to say that the left rear is flat if you didnt relearn the monitors at your last rotation.(some vehicles dont even display individual pressures, they simply set the light when a tire is below threshold and its up to you to find which one, no big deal)

B: Relearning tire positions without the J-46079 is simple and requires no special skills, training or tools.Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
• On cars with keyless entry, press lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds . The left front turn signal will also be on.

• On cars without fobs, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the DIC . Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated. On vehicles with only two DIC buttons press and hold both both buttons for 5 seconds, release buttons and use mode button to cycle through to TIRE LEARN, hit reset button to activate(this is also the button sequence to find the OIL LIFE reset)

• Starting with the left front tire, increase or decrease(decrease is faster usually) the tire pressure for 10-12 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. (it may take up to 30 seconds after deflating tire for horn to chirp) Once the horn chirps, that sensor is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate. (it will be the right front, then right rear then left rear)

When the left rear sensor has been learned and theres a double horn chirp, the learn process is complete.

Turn the gnition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Cake.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Strange what you can find in the owners manual

Still think mine reads too low....35 psi cold on 2 gauges (one calibrated to aviation specs) and the dic reads 32.....meh
Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 PM

i love getting 3 tenths for every one of the people that don't check they're pressures. diag of tpms...lmao
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 PM

but is there a way to dellet this tpms?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by nightstalkercars
but is there a way to dellet this tpms?
A: no its federally mandated

B: why would you want to? I love it.

Originally Posted by Cougarguy
i love getting 3 tenths for every one of the people that don't check they're pressures. diag of tpms...lmao
Yeah until your dealership gets banged for all the illegitimate warranty claims, theyll stop paying you once that happens.

If your writers did their jobs you wouldnt even be seeing these cars.

Last edited by Maven; 11-28-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
A: no its federally mandated

Yeah until your dealership gets banged for all the illegitimate warranty claims, theyll stop paying you once that happens.

If your writers did their jobs you wouldnt even be seeing these cars.

Ha, i wish my writers had done their jobs when i worked there. I got into a yelling match with one because he didnt even get the right KEY to a car. He had the nerve to say I was wrong. Since when does a Honda key fit into an Equinox. he was an idiot.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 AM

Yup...so I'm just retarded. Everything is fine, and I'll leave it at that...

Thanks tho guys.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=Maven;3145615]A: no its federally mandated

well i think it is just a pain more than anything else it takes a ******* to not be ale to see if a tire is almost flat, i was just wanting to change wheels but really dont want to put that kinda money in it.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
umm ya there is a correct way to mount and balance tires with tpm sensors and then there is the old way which will break the sensor. common among inexperienced people doing tires. also worth a shot having them relearned but chances are the sensors were damaged.
Whats the difference? I have only mounted and balanced the old style wheel/tires without TPMS.

I would assume you keep need to keep the bead of the tire away from the sensor at all times
Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 PM

there is no new or old way. you just need to keep the clamp from near the tire valve area when unseating the bead. if the sensor is mounted where the tire valve is. if not you dismount only the inside bead then look for the sensor. some used to be clamped to the wheel with a big hose clamp.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well i think it is just a pain more than anything else it takes a ******* to not be ale to see if a tire is almost flat, i was just wanting to change wheels but really dont want to put that kinda money in it.[/QUOTE]

The key to the tps is not to tell you when a tire is flat it is to help you maintain proper air inflation to get better gas millage. Improper inflation of tires is the number one reason for bad gas millage in the world. If you would like to stabilize your tire pressure you can get your tires filled with nitrogen and will give you a little better MPGs.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM

well i think it is just a pain more than anything else it takes a ******* to not be ale to see if a tire is almost flat, i was just wanting to change wheels but really dont want to put that kinda money in it.
What kind of a pain is it????

Youre right it must take a *******,(especially since you cant "see" proper tire inflation) and there are so many dumbasses on the road that the Govt decided they needed to step in and at least give some of us a chance by having the car actually tell you its got a tire issue. Ill bet that 70% of people dont EVER check their tire pressure.

Theres no nomey to put in......buy new wheels, take your sensors out of old wheels, install in new wheels. done, only extra money id the difference between a $2.05 valve stem for the TPMS and a $1.25 standard valve stem.(Thats $3.20 total difference btw)
Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
What kind of a pain is it????

Youre right it must take a *******,(especially since you cant "see" proper tire inflation) and there are so many dumbasses on the road that the Govt decided they needed to step in and at least give some of us a chance by having the car actually tell you its got a tire issue. Ill bet that 70% of people dont EVER check their tire pressure.

Theres no nomey to put in......buy new wheels, take your sensors out of old wheels, install in new wheels. done, only extra money id the difference between a $2.05 valve stem for the TPMS and a $1.25 standard valve stem.(Thats $3.20 total difference btw)
Idk know how easy u think that is but i tried and didnt work as easy as it is said. Cost me another 150 bucks to replace the one i broke. Ya i know it is used to let people know proper tire pressure and to help with mpg idk it is just the way i see it. To add i just get a kick out of people like u anyways ur the type that has to be on top and let everyone know the facts about everything.

Last edited by nightstalkercars; 11-29-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: ad more
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Idk know how easy u think that is but i tried and didnt work as easy as it is said. Cost me another 150 bucks to replace the one i broke. Ya i know it is used to let people know proper tire pressure and to help with mpg idk
How did you break one?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Well according to a GM Tech... it has to be taken in... and I know him don't know you so I will take his word for it over yours!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Just put my snows on this weekend.

Did the manual TPMS relearn that is in the owners manual. Took me 2 minutes tops. Everything's up and working fine again.

Lots of people gripe about the TPMS, I think it's great. Works awesome for me, with my summer and winter rims.

Later,
Brad
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love the TPMS system, wish my 06 had it. Like maven and others have said, its an extremely accurate diagnostic tool, and a good thing for the average joe that doesn't check his tire pressure every week like he should.

Our armored suburbans have the TPMS on them, and because they have run-flats filled to 75psi, the light is on, but i leave the DIC on tire pressure and watch it carefully. if i run over a nail or screw (has happened twice because the roads here suck) the TPMS system catches it and i can fix it before something bad happens. at 75psi a blowout would be catastrophic driving 80mph down Route Irish. The TPMS allows me to avoid and prevent a failure because i don't always have the time to check it manually, or its just not on the top of my priorities list.

Originally Posted by RBC
The key to the tps is not to tell you when a tire is flat it is to help you maintain proper air inflation to get better gas millage. Improper inflation of tires is the number one reason for bad gas millage in the world. If you would like to stabilize your tire pressure you can get your tires filled with nitrogen and will give you a little better MPGs.
Just to add some info, nitrogen displaces the moisture normally found in regular air. The combination of less moisture, and chemical properties of nitrogen mean that the pressure change from cold - warm tires is negligible. its not a miracle gas, just removes moisture, and has better heat resistance.

Last edited by ls1fbody; 11-30-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1badBlueberrySC
Well according to a GM Tech... it has to be taken in... and I know him don't know you so I will take his word for it over yours!
Well I dont know you OR him, but I can tell you that what I posted is straight from a GM Tech, and the GM Tech that wrote it is saying that your GM Tech doesnt know what he's talking about when it comes to the Cobalt TPMS. And if you dont believe me, or my GM Tech, you and your GM Tech need to RTFM.

Originally Posted by 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owners Manual, DocID#2029184

TPMS Sensor Matching Process
Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. Any time you replace one or more of the TPMS sensors or rotate the vehicle's tires, the identification codes need to be matched to the new tire/wheel location. The sensors are matched, to the tire/wheel locations, in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your dealer/retailer for service.

The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure. When increasing the tire's pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the tire's sidewall. To decrease the tire's air-pressure use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air pressure gage, or a key.

You have two minutes to match each tire and wheel position. If it takes longer than two minutes to match any tire and wheel position, the matching process stops and you need to start over.

TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's lock and unlock buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner's sensor is ready to be learned.
Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.
TPMS Matching Process for Vehicles without Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
Using the Driver Information Center (DIC), press the INFO and Set/Reset buttons at the same time for about one second. Then press and release the INFO button until the TIRE LEARN? message displays.
Press and hold the Set/Reset DIC button for approximately three seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice to indicate the TPMS receiver is ready and the TIRE LEARN ON message displays. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned.
Start with the driver side front tire.
Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 6.
After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. The LEARN COMPLETE message displays if all four tire positions are learned. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, the TIRE LEARN? message displays on the DIC. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.
© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) problem