Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Tire pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure warning light

The tire pressure warning light came on my 2009 Cobalt (purchased 3 weeks ago) this morning when I started it up. I had driven the car several times yesterday with no problems. It had been parked all night and the temp got down to around 32 degrees. I checked the tires, they looked okay and on my 20 minute drive to work the pressure came up from 26 to 29 psi on all the tires. I'm assuming the psi is just low because of the cold temps? Is this going to happen all winter because of the cold? If so, having that warning light on all winter is going to drive me nuts!

One more question while I'm here. I have manual locks and have found that I can only open the door from the inside when it's locked by pulling up on the door lock then pulling the door release. On my old car (1996 Neon) I could open the door from the inside even if it was locked by just pulling the door release. I know it's a good safety feature but is there any way to get around this on my Cobalt?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if it bothers you just up the pressure a little bit. Only building up to 30 psi isn't that much. You could easily afford to throw an extra 3 or so psi in the tires. Mine usually run around 33 when warmed up.
And as for the lock thing, as far as I know, you're just gonna have to unlock your door manually first.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be using a gauge to check your pressures - your eyes won't be able to tell the difference between 30 psi and 20.

And like Tommy pointed out, pressures will drop as the temperature drops - you need to adjust your pressures for the colder weather. The sticker on the door post will tell you what the pressures should be, these should be checked with the tires cold - car not driven for several hours.

Proper inflation will give you the best fuel economy, tire life, and traction - well worth spending a few bucks on a quality tire gauge.

As a side note - the tpms is not very accurate and should not be used for setting your pressures. With the pressures set to 35 all around, the tpms on mine indicates from 32 to 36 psi on the various corners It is kind of handy if you develop a slow leak in one, at least it will warn you that a tire is loosing pressure.