Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Traction control light comes on and shifting changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control light comes on and shifting changes

Ok, I have a 2006 2.4 SS sedan. It's been to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the issue. It happens on and off, not terribly often. I got it back yesterday and it happened again today. They could not dupicate the probem in a road test but they scanned for codes and found code P0106, manifold absolute pressure, so they changed the MAP sensor. They said that would fix it. Obviously it didn't.

Out of the blue when driving the traction control light comes on and shifting changes. It becomes harsher. If I put the car in park and back into drive when the issue occurs it feels like I am "dumping" it into gear, as the whole car moves. If I turn it off when driving while in neutral and turn it back on it does not fix it. It also does not fix it if I turn it off at a red light or stop sign and turn it back on by placing it in park. It apparently has to sit for who knows what amount of time before it goes back to normal.

Does anybody know anything about this? I'm going to have to head back to the dealer, apparently.

They also replaced the intermediate steering shaft and steering column because of rattling over bumps, but something is still rattling around somewhere. I hate to go back but I want it fixed under warranty.

Last edited by craig2006ssedan; 06-07-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:31 AM

Mine started doing this exact same thing after i did the intake modification.......it has something to do with the MAF sensor, im damn sure of it.....mine kicked a P0171 code along with the traction light and eratic shifting....which was a lean code......too much air i assume being detected by the MAF sensor......put it back to stock airbox and havent had a problem since (knock on wood).......check your air filter and make sure all the connections are tight on the intake tube and that that filter gasket is seated properly......im still trying to figure out why the MAF sensor messes with the tranny and i think i might have an explanation but im not gonna say anything without making sure first cause i dont wanna sound like a tard.........lol.........Later
Old 06-08-2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. I didn't do an airbox mod, but I did drop in a K&N filter awhile ago, like a long while ago. At about 11k miles. (29.5k now) I cleaned it for the first time a few weeks ago.

That could possibly up the airflow enough to cause a lean condition. I wonder if it will fix itself if I go back to a normal paper filter....?

The K&N didn't help with mileage that I noticed. I watch that MPG thing like crazy, and after I put the K&N in I expected it to go up noticeably, and it never did. By noticeably, I mean a few tenths or something at least.

Before I do that I'll go check the connections. Thanks a million.

If anyone else knows anything about this let me know.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Napa has mass airflow sensor cleaner, and you have to make sure that you use as little oil as possible on the K&N filter. The oil screws the sensors readings up.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here you go
#04-07-30-013B Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter - (Feb 1, 2007)
Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by tsunam1
Napa has mass airflow sensor cleaner, and you have to make sure that you use as little oil as possible on the K&N filter. The oil screws the sensors readings up.
Thanks a lot!

Too much oil, ha! The K&N recharge kit said to oil it until it turned red on the bottom. That took forever. I sprayed that thing over and over.

It must have been "over oiled" from the factory, because I had the problem before I cleaned and oiled it myself also.

I found CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner for sale at the local Advance by checking online; there aren't any NAPAs very close to me. I'll clean it up and probably drop in a paper filter and see what happens.