Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Traction control light on (rough shifting)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control light on (rough shifting)

Hey all,
I have this new issue with my 2006 Cobalt 2.4l. The traction control light came on and it shifts rough. Anyone have any experience with the problem?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

chuckie,

Originally Posted by chuckie
Hey all,
I have this new issue with my 2006 Cobalt 2.4l. The traction control light came on and it shifts rough. Anyone have any experience with the problem?
I would recommend taking your vehicle to the local dealership so that this issue can be diagnosed. That way you will be able to get a definite idea regarding what is causing the issue. I would be happy to set up and appoint for you if you would like. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to me. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 PM

Is your abs light on at the same time? If so you have a problem with intermittently reading wheel speed sensor. It will need to go to the dealer, most shops won't be able to live diagnose the speed sensors.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 PM

No ABS light..check engine light is on but that usually is...the car also has the p1174 and p301 codes...along with a broken sunroof frame..lol. This is my last GM car.I bought an extended warranty while I was leasing then I bought it in december thinking nothing else could go wrong with it ( it only had 68000 km's on it) then come January and the car starts to fall apart.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No ABS light..check engine light is on but that usually is...the car also has the p1174 and p301 codes...along with a broken sunroof frame..lol. This is my last GM car.I bought an extended warranty while I was leasing then I bought it in december thinking nothing else could go wrong with it ( it only had 68000 km's on it) then come January and the car starts to fall apart.
P301 is cylinder 1 misfire, check that plug/coilpack/Injector/Wireing harnesses
Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Hey all,
Have a read..mine went out at approximately 36k miles...hope this helps.
cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=218344
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM

I have been having this same issue for about 2 years now. Seems to only come on when I give it gas right before it's about to shift into third gear. I'll check out that other thread too.

Last edited by Cobbie916; 08-09-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 AM

i had the same problem with my old 06 cobalt it was the abs module that needed to be replaced i traded my car for a brand new 09 turbo and have had nothing but problems with it.I wish i had just paid to have my 06 fixed
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

Take it to the dealership both of you. If you have problems with your turbo'd balt I can probably help you out. I've gone through just about everything and fixed it all.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM

Update I have been still having this issue but I never get any CEL's thrown or ABS lights. The t/c light comes on and it begins shifting rough. I did notice the wires to my ABS wheel speed sensor are a bit melted, kinda like they came in contact with my header. There isn't anywhere in the casing that has broken through but they are definitely kind of melted. My speedometer still seems to work fine so I don't know if that still could be whats causing it. Also I checked the codes in my cars history and the only code we saw was way back in the day and it was only once: P0106 which is the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem). However this problem happens 1-2 times a day (going to work and coming back), and I get no CEL what so ever. I know you may tell me to take it to the dealership but I have absolutely no money at the moment so if I could replace a few parts myself it would be much easier on me. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 PM

hey, any updates?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 AM

I having the same problems?..,anybody figure out whats causing this problem??
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM

pretty sure it ended up being a camshaft actuator solonoid. theres one for exhaust and one for intake, to replace both urself it costs like $100 for the parts and is an easy fix. any questions just ask
Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by wollis1
pretty sure it ended up being a camshaft actuator solonoid. theres one for exhaust and one for intake, to replace both urself it costs like $100 for the parts and is an easy fix. any questions just ask
Well its not being consistant, the light went off for a couple days and today it did it again!...I'll look into that actuator tho thanks!!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lschima
Well its not being consistant, the light went off for a couple days and today it did it again!...I'll look into that actuator tho thanks!!
I'm having the exact same problem, it started tonight, it resets when I restart the car....but the shifting is hard when it does turn back on?! Let me know how the actuator goes!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ashes
I'm having the exact same problem, it started tonight, it resets when I restart the car....but the shifting is hard when it does turn back on?! Let me know how the actuator goes!
I haven't tried nothing yet, I was hoping to see if anybody came up with any other ideas of what it could be!?!....it's starting to occur more often now!!..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 PM

its either the actuator or the solonoid (sensor). thats what cured my problem and many other ppl's
Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Banned

I had this same problem, and attempted to post a lengthy reply with my solution. This "USELESS" website timed me out, and my reply was lost.

Sorry pal. Go to a quality website for your answers.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM

I had this problem and just got it resolved this past Friday (Cobalt SS Sedan 2006) after a few months of back and forth. I have been reading various threads on this problem all over the internet and no one has really discussed what finally fixed their issue.

Symptoms - Traction Control light would come on, rough shifting between gears would start after the first slow down or stop after the light came on. Lower gears were a rougher shift - No ABS light, etc. Occasionally, the car would drop into limp mode like you get when your ABS kicks in, but that was pretty rare. At the very end of the three months, we actually got a service engine light (on the way to the dealership for this last attempt to fix it, no less).

Solution - The Cam Position Sensor was the culprit in my case.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Ok, enough with all the guessing.

If you have an engine or transmission drivability condition - as you said, rough shift (as you describe it)
Your tranction control system can no longer function properly. The TC light being on is a result of this.
It has nothing to do with ABS, its just telling you that the TC system is disabled due to an SES code that was most likely stored but did not set the light on.

Congrats on getting it fixed.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theirs something going on with all the '06 2.4's i swear, there's been many threads, and including myself have experinced the exact same thing, im telling you somethings up lol we should rally and get a recall
The following users liked this post:
Tonya Martin (04-20-2020)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Cold Air Intake Filter Oil

I know this is old, but I had the same problem with my 2007 SS w/2.4L engine. It started about 8 months after I installed a K&N Typhoon Air Intake. Took it to my local Chevy dealer..problem was a dirty mass flow sensor which caused havoc to the computer. There is actually a Tech Service Bulletin that identified the problem as being caused by an air filter that is/was over oiled, which fouls out the mass air sensor which messed everything up. The mass air sensor was replaced, filter washed and re-oiled...problem went away. K&N swears this cannot happen.......

What I do know is spray some mass air flow sensor cleaner on it about every 6K miles, have not had any more problems.

Moral of the story...check your mass air sensor....it may be the problem and is very easy to fix.

Mark
2007 Cobalt SS
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude 2.4L's haul! thats why the traction button is coming on...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM

heh, my car has been doing this since I got it back from the dealership after having my recalled power steering motor replaced

..swear I don't trust dealerships for this reason.. free recall my butt, we'll just **** something else up you'll have to pay for ... yeah ok it could be that or it could've just happened to have started around the same time, but the voices in my head like conspiracies
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cormyre
heh, my car has been doing this since I got it back from the dealership after having my recalled power steering motor replaced

..swear I don't trust dealerships for this reason.. free recall my butt, we'll just **** something else up you'll have to pay for ... yeah ok it could be that or it could've just happened to have started around the same time, but the voices in my head like conspiracies
When was the recall work done, Cormyre?

Sarah
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: Traction control light on (rough shifting)