Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Weird electrical issue

Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Weird electrical issue

This weekend at an autocross event I had the weirdest thing happen that I have never seen before. I turned the key to start my car quickly but it seemed like my BCM was slow to boot up or something. I had no RPM, speedo, or gas readings, and my car kept beeping at me and flashing "power steering" "low fuel" and when I left it running eventually the gauges came back but it showed the lock icon. It happened a few more times but I could correct it if I shut off the car, turn on the key and wait for a second then start up and it would be normal. Or i could just wait it out and eventually things started working. Like I said earlier, it almost seemed like lag for some part of the electrical system to boot up. I have never seen this and have no idea what the cause could be or if it can lead to anything more serious. If any one has experienced anything like this I would appreciate your feedback.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I had that happen with my 2.2. since it would go back to normal like you said I was never ever to find a solution. The only difference for me was that It would mostly happen when. I was driving at highway speeds
The following users liked this post:
jdbaugh1 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
I had that happen with my 2.2. since it would go back to normal like you said I was never ever to find a solution. The only difference for me was that It would mostly happen when. I was driving at highway speeds
That would have freaked me out if it did that while going down the highway. It still freaked me out at autocross but at least I was stationary. I was so distracted I almost plowed a cone during the parade lap.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Yeah it scared me pretty bad and for sure it's a weird thing. I wish I could be more help but I never figured out what it was
Old 04-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
bad battery
Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wad having the same exact issue. I replaced the battery and it stopped for a few months and then did it again. Someone told me it wad my key so i started using my spare key. Problem went away for two months and the other day it started again but worse than ever. While sitting in it try to understand the issue, i noticed a faint ticking coming from a little black box under the steering colum. There are 3 plugs that go to it. I found if you unplug any 1 of the 3 the problem goes away but the sec you plug it in it comes back. The only down fall is you loose your power steering. Not real sure what this box is but i assume it has to do with power steering.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wyattjames32
I wad having the same exact issue. I replaced the battery and it stopped for a few months and then did it again. Someone told me it wad my key so i started using my spare key. Problem went away for two months and the other day it started again but worse than ever. While sitting in it try to understand the issue, i noticed a faint ticking coming from a little black box under the steering colum. There are 3 plugs that go to it. I found if you unplug any 1 of the 3 the problem goes away but the sec you plug it in it comes back. The only down fall is you loose your power steering. Not real sure what this box is but i assume it has to do with power steering.
Probably power steering relay or something like that.

Search this Thread