Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Weird Intermitant Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ForsakenOutlaw57
Insylem, of all the times it happened to you, did your car turn off ever while it was running?
NO
Though I think a couple of times I did have the problem occur while the car was already off and wuold not start. I was able to pushstart my car.

Originally Posted by ForsakenOutlaw57

Also all jokes aside, totally serious, how does one actually push start a car? I've never seen it done except in movies and c'mon those are a terrible source and yes I have a manual.
I don't know if anyone ever made a "How To" on this. But it's reletivly simple It's eayiest if you have some one helping you, or a hill you can just roll down. But the basics are this
  1. Turn Key to the "ON" position
  2. Push and Hold Clutch
  3. Select 1st Gear
  4. Let Car roll down hill, or have friend push car
  5. Once car gets rolling pretty good, a few miles per hour. Release clutch rapidly.
  6. Car Should start.

If your having to push it on level ground yourself,
  1. Turn key to "ON" position
  2. Put car in neutral
  3. Get car rolling and hop in
  4. Push and hold clutch
  5. Select first gear
  6. Rapidly release clutch
  7. Car should start
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my buddy and I are tracing wires. none of the computer were communicating. we already have the entire fuse box in the engine bay ripped out along with the supercharger. We have wires out to check them. we think we found a short going to the starter. so We are trying to figure it out. we had all the same codes. Ill keep everyone updated. Like you guys said its happend every few months. thats how it started for me now it wont even start. be careful
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 PM

So this happened twice today and inside of about 30 minutes both times while I was driving. This isn't pleasant and the second time it took much longer for the gauges to come back and the security light to go on. This isn't pleasant!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 AM

Having interceptors helps. If it happens while driving the interceptors still give you info like Speed and RPM ect.
Though I wonder if the car accumulates milage since it's electrnic odometer.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by dontcryemokid
well my buddy and I are tracing wires. none of the computer were communicating. we already have the entire fuse box in the engine bay ripped out along with the supercharger. We have wires out to check them. we think we found a short going to the starter. so We are trying to figure it out. we had all the same codes. Ill keep everyone updated. Like you guys said its happend every few months. thats how it started for me now it wont even start. be careful
To the starter? That's kind of an odd thing to cause a problem like that, but I guess if its shorting out the power wire, it could drag down the voltage on whatever ealse is on that same power bus with it and cause it not to function properly.

Thanks for the update.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by insylem
Having interceptors helps. If it happens while driving the interceptors still give you info like Speed and RPM ect.
Though I wonder if the car accumulates milage since it's electrnic odometer.
Definitely can see their use but we definitely have to solve this issue. I have half a mind to bring it to the mechanic and being like "This is the issue - what is wrong - fix it" lol...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 AM

If the issue wasn't so intermitant it would be eayser to isolate the malfunction
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM

All right maybe we should all post when it happened and what was happening, maybe we can find some commonality?

All of mine were in cold weather.

First was after the car had sat for the day (nothing unusual) and it happened on start-up while I was warming up the car.

Second was driving at relatively low speed and not heavy traffic what I would call normal, coming up to a stop light.

Third and fourth were the same day, both on the highway, both at highway speed, no traffic, no nothing really.

All four, with the exception of the last two, are all virtually different for me. The only common factor on all is that it is winter. I didn't hit any huge bumps just before them to jostle anything loose nor was I particularly hard on the brake or accelerator for them. In the fact the three (2 - 4) were all while I was moving and rolling at a constant speed.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM

turns out my pcm fried which while it was going bad probably caused all the problems. Then it just completly fried and wouldnt do anything.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM

So i had all the same problems the weird gauges everything. I think it was just my pcm going out over time then eventually took a ****. they put a new pcm in and it started to crank. just needs to be re flashed. ill know more tomorrow
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Did it dump before or after your PCM was replaced?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM

What do you mean by dump?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by dontcryemokid
I was having the same problem. Now my car won't even start. Haven't started it since new years eve. I think the bcm is shot I have no idea
this might be my situation... insylem, what was the deal with yours? my mechanic is susggesting this may be why mine wont start now
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by riceburner
this might be my situation... insylem, what was the deal with yours? my mechanic is susggesting this may be why mine wont start now
I don't really know what the deal was with mine. I checked the connections on the BCM, they seemed secure. Ever since I checked, I never had the problem again.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:27 AM

My car is having these same issues!! I have an 07 SS 2.4 liter non sc/tc 5 speed manual with 81,000 miles.

While I'm driving the message center on the console shows "power steering", the security light is on, traction control light comes on for a second then turns off, my ABS light flashes on and off, my power steering stops working and my AC blows air but won't blow cold air.

The car still runs and starts up fine but these errors are intermittent. It happens when driving at highway speeds and slow speeds. I haven't noticed any consistent patterns. Its been 85-95 degrees lately if that matters.
I've read that it might be the BCM??
PLEASE HELP!
I'm a broke college student and can't afford repairs!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
So just to update this thread, i was getting the same messages on my display, accompanied by long starts. then my car died and would not restart; just crank all day.

In my case, after 4 months of trial and error, it turned out to be the ECM and nothing more. A faulty ground is likely what fried it. And it worked well enough to let the car crank, make fuel pressure, spark, show codes, etc! Just a big FYI.

Furthermore, there were a few lost communication codes between the ECM and BCM found. A lot of CAN BUS wire tracing turned up nothing (obvs because it wasn't CAN BUS related)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 PM

When I did have the problem, mine threw codes for the power steering moduel communication and pcm. however, my Interceptors continued to work fine. The interceptors read from the PCM. I dont think mine was PCM related. I guess there are multiple causes.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another update.
Just got a 06 lsj with similar issues. Gauges work but stay at 0 and says low fuel etc, powersteering won't work, and car won't crank with the key. It has a ghetto rigged setup where a relay is open on the fuse box and to turn the car on I press on the side of the relay and it turns the car on. Checked codes at auto parts store and got nothing. Will get my ultra gauge from the other balt and throw it on there to check out if there's any other codes.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Try charging ur battery
Old 12-17-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice
Another update.
Just got a 06 lsj with similar issues. Gauges work but stay at 0 and says low fuel etc, powersteering won't work, and car won't crank with the key. It has a ghetto rigged setup where a relay is open on the fuse box and to turn the car on I press on the side of the relay and it turns the car on. Checked codes at auto parts store and got nothing. Will get my ultra gauge from the other balt and throw it on there to check out if there's any other codes.
I'd be interested to hear what you find. I'm stock configuration and still having this issue. It isn't the battery, it isn't the power steering pump, and nothing else that I can ascertain.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Battery has been replaced with optima battery, alternator has been swapped....I'm going to see if doing ignition and powersteering recalls has any effect on it
Old 12-21-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice
Battery has been replaced with optima battery, alternator has been swapped....I'm going to see if doing ignition and powersteering recalls has any effect on it
Indeed let us know. It seems no one has ever solved this who has posted about it. I did ignition and power steering and the battery at various times none fixed. I never did the alternator. I keep thinking it's a short in the column somewhere.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:21 PM

Any info, I have the same problem?
Originally Posted by insylem
Hello,
Ive been having intermitant BCM problems, where all my gauges on my dashboard would go to zero and I would get the Messages "Power Steering" and "Low Fuel" while driving. Interceptors continue to operate and report data, such as Speed and RPM and Fuel Level. Anyways when I wuold stop the gauges and everything would start working. While the gauges were reading zero sometimes they would jump to 20mph and 2000 rpm and go back to zero with a dingding ding. The security light also illuminates, and intermitantly flashes the brake light.

Power locks/ power windows continue to operate as well as the AC. Don't know about my lights though because its been day time every time its happened. The Radio also continues to operate normally. This malfunction occruse when useing either key in the ignition. I have purchased a spare key a while back. I tried swaping the key out because it is the eaysest thing to change and i figured the key chip might have beem fried but it still freaks out occasionaly with the spare key too. Yes I had the spare key programed by the dealership when I baught it. Anyways when I stop the problem corrects itself, Speed stays 0 (Since im stoped) While RPM goes to 1000 and bounches a little due to 60# Injectors + Canned Tune. Ive posted about this malfunction before but figured id start a new post so that I dont get more funeral directior stat awards. haha

Anyways some one sugested the BCM. The Service Manual says to replace my gauge cluster, then change my BCM. I dont want to waste money throwing parts at it. Im thinking there is a communication loss between the PCM and the BCM. When looking at the schematics i came accross something called the "Vehical Communication Interface Module" What is it? What does it do, and where is it?

Also any other information would be helpful. The only code in my PCM is P0171 from my ZZP Canned tune. I dont know if my hand held scanner can read BCM codes. What would it cost for a dealership to pull BCM codes? Because I ahve the same scanner that Autozone and Advanced use.

Any Helpful information would be appricated, Thanks,

I HATE Intermitant problems. You can only troubleshoot them when the malfunction is occoring. If it fixes itself everythings going to check good. If I change something I wont know for a while if it corrected the problem or not. Intermitant should be a swear word