Recalls Chevy Cobalt recall information center

Nasty clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nasty clunk

Hey guys, ever since I got my car I noticed wen i drive it for the first time in the day I get a clunking sound from my driver side front end, especially when the weather is cool and gets worse when its really cold. I'm pretty sure its sumthing with the suspension but not sure wat exactly. I took it to the dealership while under warranty several time for the same issue but was never solved. please help, thanx.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's either bad bushings in your lower control arms or in my case it was my CAI hitting metal.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 AM

when do you hear it?
when you hit bumps?
when your turning? right? left?
are you lowered?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM

i kind of have that problem, cept it comes from the passenger side
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM

The car is bone stock not even lowered, I looked at the all the suspension bushings and none seem to be damaged. I hear it wen i go over speed bumps or wen i go over small pot holes. It seems 2 be louder wen I go over those at an angle. My left strut has already been replaced cause a chevy teck thought that was the problem but did not solve any thing. The tech said he glued some kind of bushing and I'm not sure if that was the right thing he did or not but also didnt make a difference.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

check your sway bar links mine did the same thing park the car get out and pen the door shake the body side to side and have someone listen for any noise mine was worse on the pass. side
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Print this out and, highlight what you think applies to your car and bring it to your dealer.

Service Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 2239750
#04-03-08-006D: Steering and Front Suspension Noise Concerns - Clunk, Thump, Rattle, Knocking, Pop, Shudder, Vibration (Diagnosis and Perform Necessary Repairs) - (Feb 24, 2009)

Subject: Steering and Front Suspension Noise Concerns -- Clunk, Thump, Rattle, Knocking, Pop, Shudder, Vibration (Diagnosis and Perform Necessary Repair)

Models: 2005-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt (Including SS)
2006-2009 Chevrolet HHR (Including SS)
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2007-2009 Pontiac G5
2003-2007 Saturn ION

This bulletin is being revised to add Condition #3. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-08-006C (Section 03 - Suspension).

This bulletin provides information on seven different steering/front suspension noise conditions.

Condition #1

Some customers may comment on a rattle or knocking noise that is heard in the front of the vehicle while driving at low speeds 8-24 km/h (5-15 mph). This condition may be more noticeable while making a slow turn or on a loose/rough surface.

This condition can be duplicated by the technician using the following procedure:

1. On a rough or loose surface (i.e., gravel parking lot), make a sweeping turn (either direction) at 8-24 km/h (5-15 mph to load the steering column, I-shaft and steering rack/gear mechanisms. The testing on a rough or loose surface will allow the wheels to oscillate slightly and will make the rattle/knocking noise more evident and repeatable.
2. Release the steering wheel while making the turn to take load off of steering components. This should initiate the rattle/shudder noise, which is generated by backlash in the steering assembly as it is in a no-load float condition.

Object Number: 1858410 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
3. Remove the 60 amp EPS fuse (1) in the underhood fuse block.
4. Test the vehicle as in Step 1. Since the EPS motor is no longer powered, only the I-shaft and steering gear/rack will be loaded as you make the turn. If you hear the rattle/knocking noise during the turn, then the noise is being generated by the backlash within the steering column (assist motor gear mechanism).
5. Replace the 60 amp EPS fuse and repeat Steps 1 and 2 to verify that the rattle/knocking noise disappears when turning (loading steering mechanism) and can only be heard when releasing the steering wheel.

Correction #1

If the steering column is identified as the source of the rattle/knocking noise in the above test, replace the steering column.

Important: The noise in the steering column is generated from the metal to plastic gear backlash of the assist motor mechanism and will have a different sound than that from the steering gear. If the customer comments that they still hear a noise, it may be a different sound from either the I-shaft or the steering rack.

If the steering column is not identified as the source of the rattle/knocking in the above test, continue to diagnose the vehicle according to the diagnostics in SI.
Parts Information #1

For part numbers and usage of the column, see Steering Column Kit in Group 06.518 of the appropriate Parts Catalog. Saturn Retailers should refer to the appropriate model year Parts & Illustration Catalog for the vehicle.
Warranty Information #1

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E7680
Column Assembly, Steering - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Condition #2 (Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR and Pontiac G5 Only)

Some customers may comment on a clunk or thump noise coming from the front suspension while driving over rough road surfaces. This noise will typically occur when the front suspension is returning to the upward position after a hard downward stroke, such as after driving through a large rut or pothole.
Cause #2

This condition may be caused by the jounce bumper slamming into the upper spring seat because it is not retained in the correct up position. The jounce bumper loses position due to oil being deposited onto its retention fingers. The oil is from the strut leaking.
Correction #2

Inspect the front strut(s) for evidence of oil. The leak may be slight but will still cause the concern. If oil is present, replace the affected strut, jounce bumper and dust boot (shield). Before reassembling the strut assembly, glue the new jounce bumper and new dust boot (shield) to the upper spring seat using the steps listed below. To further confirm this concern, the shield/bumper will easily slide up and down the strut shaft.

Object Number: 2159615 Size: SH
1. Clean the surface area of the upper spring seat using fine sandpaper.
2. Apply a light coat *of 3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoter, P/N 06396, to the top of the dust boot (shield) on the inside edge and to the top of the bumper. Allow to dry 10 minutes.

Object Number: 2159607 Size: SH
3. Glue the bumper to the inside of the dust boot (shield) as shown. Use *3M™ Duramix™ Super Fast Adhesive, P/N 04747. Allow to cure thoroughly 5-10 minutes at room temperature.
4. Apply a light coat of *3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoter, P/N 06396, to the top of the dust boot (shield) and to the upper spring seat surface. Allow to dry 10 minutes.

Object Number: 2159612 Size: SH
5. Glue the dust boot (shield) to the upper spring seat as shown using the above recommended adhesive. Allow to cure thoroughly.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from this firm or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

Parts Information #2
Part Number
Description
Qty
Material Allowance
hield, Frt Suspension Strut
Bumper, Frt Suspension Strut
3M™ Duramix™ Super Fast Adhesive
$22.00
3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoter
$4.00

For part numbers and usage of the strut, see Strut Kit in Group 07.345 of the appropriate Parts Catalog.

Warranty Information #2

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E9478*

Replace Front Strut and Secure Bumper and Shield to Spring Seat
1.5 hrs
AddTo Perform Repair on Other Side

1.3 hrs

AddFor alignment times, refer to operation E2020 and add the applicable times to the regular hours.

* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. The number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Condition #3

Some customers may comment on a clunk/pop type noise coming from the front of the vehicle when driving over rough road surfaces.
Cause #3

This noise may be caused by the stabilizer shaft link ball stud becoming contaminated from moisture.
Correction #3

Inspect the front stabilizer shaft links for damage. To isolate the noise, the link can be also be disconnected from the stabilizer shaft. If the link appears damaged or if the noise goes away when disconnected, replace the link with the revised part.
Parts Information #3

Part Number
Description
Usage
Qty
Link Asm., Front Stabilizer Shaft (300 mm Shaft)

2006-2009 HHR (FE1, FE3)

2005-2009 Cobalt (FE1, FE3)

2005-2006 Pursuit (FE1, FE3)

2007-2009 G5 (FE1, FE3)

2003-2007 ION (FE1, FE2, FE3)

Link Asm., Front Stabilizer Shaft (250 mm Shaft w/Washer)
2008-2009 HHR (FE5)
2005-2009 Cobalt (FE5)
2007-2009 G5 (FE5)

Link Asm., Front Stabilizer Shaft (250 mm Shaft)

2006-2009 HHR (FE1, FE3)

2005-2009 Cobalt (FE5)

2005-2006 Pursuit (FE5)

2007-2009 G5 (FE5)

Warranty Information #3

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E2147
Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement (Both Sides)

Condition #4

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle during a turning maneuver. This condition can also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Typically, the clunk noise will be heard once for every 90° of steering wheel rotation in either direction. This clunk noise may also be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

The following are characteristics of this noise:
• This noise is very random.
• This noise is independent of the steering wheel angle and independent of the bumpiness of the road.
• This noise is a low frequency dull one and can be felt in your feet.
• This noise can normally be heard from the driver seat.
• This noise can be felt upon touching the steering gear from outside of the vehicle.

Note: You might also notice a slight scrub-type noise when turning the wheel back and forth. This type of noise is considered normal and repairs will not eliminate it.
Cause #4

This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft.
Correction #4

Important: DO NOT replace the steering gear or steering column assembly.

Replace the intermediate shaft.

Important: If the vehicle has already had a steering intermediate shaft replaced for a similar noise concern that the dealer duplicated, determine from the customer if the noise went away for a period of time and came back, or if the service shaft made no change. If the noise was gone for a period of time and came back, have the dealer replace the shaft again to verify we do not have a defective service shaft.

If this does not eliminate the noise, continue to diagnose the vehicle according to the diagnostics in SI.
Parts Information #4

Part Number
Description
Shaft, Intermediate Steering (Cobalt/G5/Pursuit)

Shaft, Intermediate Steering (ION)

Shaft, Intermediate Steering (HHR)

Warranty Information #4
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E7700

Shaft, Steering Intermediate - Replace

Condition #5

Some customers may comment on a rattle/clunk type noise coming from the steering column when driving over bumps.
Correction #5

The following steps have been found to be very effective in removing this condition.

Object Number: 2003905 Size: SH
1. Check for the possibility of the PCM and the TCM rattling/clunking together. If there is contact between these two modules, insulate the modules from each other using a small piece of foam.

Object Number: 2003906 Size: SH
2. Check that the retaining clip on the engine coolant surge tank is fully seated. If not, push down to seat.

Rattles/clunks in this area of the engine compartment may be heard as coming from the steering column while driving.

If this does not eliminate the noise, continue to diagnose the vehicle according to the diagnostics in SI.
Warranty Information #5
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E9458*
Repair to Correct Rattle/Clunk Noise in Front of Vehicle
0.2 hr

* This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. The number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Condition #6 (FE1 Suspension Only)

Some customers may comment on a clunk, thump or rattle noise coming from the front suspension while driving over rough road conditions or when braking.
Cause #6

Object Number: 2003907 Size: SH

This condition may be caused by the lower control arm rubber bushing (rear) coming out of its steel sleeve (1). This will cause the lower control arm to make hard contact (2) with the body structure. This condition may be more prevalent in regions that use road salt during the winter months.
Correction #6

If the rubber bushing has moved out of the steel sleeve, replace the lower control arm bushing. Do not replace the bushing if it is still centered in the steel sleeve.

If this does not eliminate the noise, continue to diagnose using chassis ears to identify the source of the noise.

Parts Information #6
Part Number
Description
Bushing, Front Lower Control Arm (Cobalt/G5/HHR/Pursuit)

Bushing, Front Lower Control Arm (ION)
Warranty Information #6

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E3550

Bushings ad/or Shaft, Front Control Arm Lower (Right) - Replace
E3551
Bushings ad/or Shaft, Front Control Arm Lower (Left) - Replace
E3557
Bushings ad/or Shaft, Front Control Arm Lower (Both) - Replace

Condition #7 (Saturn ION Only)

Some customers may comment on a squeak, rattle, pop, or clunk noise coming from the front of the vehicle during suspension movement.
Cause #7

This condition may be caused by the interface between the front stabilizer shaft, the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) and the front stabilizer shaft mounting clamp.
Correction #7

Replace the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings), if necessary, using the following procedure.

1. Verify the customer comment. Use Chassis Ear (SA9217NE or J39570) or a similar tool to determine the source of the noise. Refer to Noise Diagnosis - Front Suspension in SI.
2. If the noise is coming from either the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) or the clamps:

Important: Check the Service Parts Identification label in the rear compartment (trunk) to determine the vehicle's suspension system type, then obtain the correct insulators (bushings) corresponding to that suspension system type.
• On vehicles built after VIN breakpoint 4Z125195, replace both front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings). Refer to the Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Replacement procedure in SI.
• On vehicles built up to and including VIN 4Z125195, replace the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) and clamps. Refer to the Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Replacement procedure in SI.
3. Verify the repair by repeating Step 1.

Parts Information #7
Part Number
Description
Qty

Insulator, Front Stabilizer Shaft (2007 FE1 Suspension)

Insulator, Front Stabilizer Shaft (2007 FE2 Suspension)

Insulator, Front Stabilizer Shaft (2003-2007 FE3 Suspension)

Clamp, Front Stabilizer Shaft

Warranty Information #7

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E2180
Insulator and/or Bracket, Front Stabilizer Shaft - Replace

Condition #8

Some customers may comment on a whine/hum noise from the steering column while making right hand turns at 5-15 mph (8-24 km/h). A slight whine/hum noise is considered to be normal for EPS so it will be helpful to compare to another like vehicle. If the vehicle exhibits excessive feedback/noise when compared to another vehicle, follow the correction procedure below.
Correction #8

Important: DO NOT replace the steering column.

Pull the 60 amp steering fuse (1) in the underhood fuse block. If this eliminates the whine/hum concern, contact the Technical Assistance Center for further information in order to repair the vehicle. If this does not eliminate the noise, continue to diagnose the vehicle according to the diagnostics in SI.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2009 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 AM

Both of my sway bar links were replaced one of the many times i took it back to the dealership for this same reason but i guess it doesn't hurt to check it all out myself. I'll be doing this sometime this week and will get back at you about this. Thanks!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Erik
Both of my sway bar links were replaced one of the many times i took it back to the dealership for this same reason but i guess it doesn't hurt to check it all out myself. I'll be doing this sometime this week and will get back at you about this. Thanks!!!
If they are bad just buy some moog replacements - End Game!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM

My car makes a clunking nosise when i drive over speed bumps. or when i turn the wheel back and forth. the dealer couldnt find what was wrong.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Get this one... after I had the power steering recall done, my car would sway left and right. For a good maybe 300-500 or maybe even more miles I was convinced it was the powersteering. Then eventually it started getting worse where my whole wheel would start vibrating. So I go to my friends house to have him look at it since he works at chevy. He takes it for a test drive and goes whoa dude ur ***** messed up I don't think its power steering I think somethings broken. We get back to his house and jack it up and guess what we find? The strut to knuckle bolts are so loose, the strut was about to come off the knuckle. WTF? So my friend tightens it. I go home and torque the bolts down on both sides, do tire rotation cause it ruined my tires, and got an alignment done. But now if I go over some major bumps, it makes a clunk sound. IDK if its possibly cause I switched to ss/tc suspesion but still have fe3 control arms and sway bar. When I put the fe5 links on the fe3 sway bar it was some what difficult to get on cause the fe5 links are shorter. So the sway bar is kinda like bent up like idk how to explain it but it lookes like the links are too short for the fe3 sway bar. Could that possibly be the clunk? Should I change to fe5 sway bar since its made for those end links? Also idk if this is cause its getting colder out or I just never noticed it but like if I'm backing outta the driveway and start turning the wheel slowly I can hear the compressing of the spring

Last edited by slobalt08; 10-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM

I had a lot of trouble finding parts for my ss/sc wen i ran into a curb. I looked and looked till I found the right parts cus they are in fact different. Sway bar links, sway bar and control arms are all different. The control arm is very slightly different so that shouldnt harm anything. Just switch over to the fe5 sway bar.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned

okay
Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM

i have the same problem when i go over bumps i hear a ton or rattling and clunking noises im lowered any ideas? sorry for the thread jacking.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Banned

Going to my local tech to get the clunking noise checked out. Personally Id rather pay than mess with the dealership. Just much more convenient for me. Well this all depends on how much it ends up being that is.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 AM

subd
Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Banned

My clunk problem is fixed. Tech put in new Moog swaybar links. I was under my car changing my oil the other day and looked at the new parts and they look like they should last a lot longer than the stick parts. The Moogs look nice and beefy...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:58 PM

chevy cobalt LT 2008

any recalls I should know about besides power steering problem
Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM

I had to replace both control arm bushings and both sway bar links myself because the dealer I took my car to told me they were non warranty parts and that there was no recall.. I wish I had this to show them at the time..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by weiss27md
It's either bad bushings in your lower control arms or in my case it was my CAI hitting metal.
What is the CAI?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by JayR_91
What is the CAI?
Cold Air Intake
Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JL-KA
Print this out and, highlight what you think applies to your car and bring it to your dealer.

Service Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 2239750
#04-03-08-006D: Steering and Front Suspension Noise Concerns - Clunk, Thump, Rattle, Knocking, Pop, Shudder, Vibration (Diagnosis and Perform Necessary Repairs) - (Feb 24, 2009)

Subject: Steering and Front Suspension Noise Concerns -- Clunk, Thump, Rattle, Knocking, Pop, Shudder, Vibration (Diagnosis and Perform Necessary Repair)

Models: 2005-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt (Including SS)
2006-2009 Chevrolet HHR (Including SS)
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2007-2009 Pontiac G5
2003-2007 Saturn ION

This bulletin is being revised to add Condition #3. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-08-006C (Section 03 - Suspension).

This bulletin provides information on seven different steering/front suspension noise conditions.

Condition #1

Some customers may comment on a rattle or knocking noise that is heard in the front of the vehicle while driving at low speeds 8-24 km/h (5-15 mph). This condition may be more noticeable while making a slow turn or on a loose/rough surface.

This condition can be duplicated by the technician using the following procedure:

1. On a rough or loose surface (i.e., gravel parking lot), make a sweeping turn (either direction) at 8-24 km/h (5-15 mph to load the steering column, I-shaft and steering rack/gear mechanisms. The testing on a rough or loose surface will allow the wheels to oscillate slightly and will make the rattle/knocking noise more evident and repeatable.
2. Release the steering wheel while making the turn to take load off of steering components. This should initiate the rattle/shudder noise, which is generated by backlash in the steering assembly as it is in a no-load float condition.

3. Remove the 60 amp EPS fuse (1) in the underhood fuse block.
4. Test the vehicle as in Step 1. Since the EPS motor is no longer powered, only the I-shaft and steering gear/rack will be loaded as you make the turn. If you hear the rattle/knocking noise during the turn, then the noise is being generated by the backlash within the steering column (assist motor gear mechanism).
5. Replace the 60 amp EPS fuse and repeat Steps 1 and 2 to verify that the rattle/knocking noise disappears when turning (loading steering mechanism) and can only be heard when releasing the steering wheel.

Correction #1

If the steering column is identified as the source of the rattle/knocking noise in the above test, replace the steering column.

Important: The noise in the steering column is generated from the metal to plastic gear backlash of the assist motor mechanism and will have a different sound than that from the steering gear. If the customer comments that they still hear a noise, it may be a different sound from either the I-shaft or the steering rack.

If the steering column is not identified as the source of the rattle/knocking in the above test, continue to diagnose the vehicle according to the diagnostics in SI.
Parts Information #1

For part numbers and usage of the column, see Steering Column Kit in Group 06.518 of the appropriate Parts Catalog. Saturn Retailers should refer to the appropriate model year Parts & Illustration Catalog for the vehicle.
Warranty Information #1

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E7680
Column Assembly, Steering - Replace

Condition #2 (Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR and Pontiac G5 Only)

Some customers may comment on a clunk or thump noise coming from the front suspension while driving over rough road surfaces. This noise will typically occur when the front suspension is returning to the upward position after a hard downward stroke, such as after driving through a large rut or pothole.
Cause #2

This condition may be caused by the jounce bumper slamming into the upper spring seat because it is not retained in the correct up position. The jounce bumper loses position due to oil being deposited onto its retention fingers. The oil is from the strut leaking.
Correction #2

Inspect the front strut(s) for evidence of oil. The leak may be slight but will still cause the concern. If oil is present, replace the affected strut, jounce bumper and dust boot (shield). Before reassembling the strut assembly, glue the new jounce bumper and new dust boot (shield) to the upper spring seat using the steps listed below. To further confirm this concern, the shield/bumper will easily slide up and down the strut shaft.

Object Number: 2159615 Size: SH
1. Clean the surface area of the upper spring seat using fine sandpaper.
2. Apply a light coat *of 3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoter, P/N 06396, to the top of the dust boot (shield) on the inside edge and to the top of the bumper. Allow to dry 10 minutes.

Object Number: 2159607 Size: SH
3. Glue the bumper to the inside of the dust boot (shield) as shown. Use *3M™ Duramix™ Super Fast Adhesive, P/N 04747. Allow to cure thoroughly 5-10 minutes at room temperature.
4. Apply a light coat of *3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoter, P/N 06396, to the top of the dust boot (shield) and to the upper spring seat surface. Allow to dry 10 minutes.

Object Number: 2159612 Size: SH
5. Glue the dust boot (shield) to the upper spring seat as shown using the above recommended adhesive. Allow to cure thoroughly.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from this firm or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

Parts Information #2
Part Number
Description
Qty
Material Allowance
hield, Frt Suspension Strut
Bumper, Frt Suspension Strut
3M™ Duramix™ Super Fast Adhesive
$22.00
3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoter
$4.00

For part numbers and usage of the strut, see Strut Kit in Group 07.345 of the appropriate Parts Catalog.

Warranty Information #2

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E9478*

Replace Front Strut and Secure Bumper and Shield to Spring Seat
1.5 hrs
AddTo Perform Repair on Other Side

1.3 hrs

AddFor alignment times, refer to operation E2020 and add the applicable times to the regular hours.

* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. The number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Condition #3

Some customers may comment on a clunk/pop type noise coming from the front of the vehicle when driving over rough road surfaces.
Cause #3

This noise may be caused by the stabilizer shaft link ball stud becoming contaminated from moisture.
Correction #3

Inspect the front stabilizer shaft links for damage. To isolate the noise, the link can be also be disconnected from the stabilizer shaft. If the link appears damaged or if the noise goes away when disconnected, replace the link with the revised part.
Parts Information #3

Part Number
Description
Usage
Qty
Link Asm., Front Stabilizer Shaft (300 mm Shaft)

2006-2009 HHR (FE1, FE3)

2005-2009 Cobalt (FE1, FE3)

2005-2006 Pursuit (FE1, FE3)

2007-2009 G5 (FE1, FE3)

2003-2007 ION (FE1, FE2, FE3)

Link Asm., Front Stabilizer Shaft (250 mm Shaft w/Washer)
2008-2009 HHR (FE5)
2005-2009 Cobalt (FE5)
2007-2009 G5 (FE5)

Link Asm., Front Stabilizer Shaft (250 mm Shaft)

2006-2009 HHR (FE1, FE3)

2005-2009 Cobalt (FE5)

2005-2006 Pursuit (FE5)

2007-2009 G5 (FE5)

Warranty Information #3

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E2147
Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement (Both Sides)

Condition #4

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle during a turning maneuver. This condition can also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Typically, the clunk noise will be heard once for every 90° of steering wheel rotation in either direction. This clunk noise may also be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

The following are characteristics of this noise:
• This noise is very random.
• This noise is independent of the steering wheel angle and independent of the bumpiness of the road.
• This noise is a low frequency dull one and can be felt in your feet.
• This noise can normally be heard from the driver seat.
• This noise can be felt upon touching the steering gear from outside of the vehicle.

Note: You might also notice a slight scrub-type noise when turning the wheel back and forth. This type of noise is considered normal and repairs will not eliminate it.
Cause #4

This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft.
Correction #4

Important: DO NOT replace the steering gear or steering column assembly.

Replace the intermediate shaft.

Important: If the vehicle has already had a steering intermediate shaft replaced for a similar noise concern that the dealer duplicated, determine from the customer if the noise went away for a period of time and came back, or if the service shaft made no change. If the noise was gone for a period of time and came back, have the dealer replace the shaft again to verify we do not have a defective service shaft.

Parts Information #4

Part Number
Description
Shaft, Intermediate Steering (Cobalt/G5/Pursuit)

Shaft, Intermediate Steering (ION)

Shaft, Intermediate Steering (HHR)

Warranty Information #4
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E7700

Shaft, Steering Intermediate - Replace

Condition #5

Some customers may comment on a rattle/clunk type noise coming from the steering column when driving over bumps.
Correction #5

The following steps have been found to be very effective in removing this condition.

Object Number: 2003905 Size: SH
1. Check for the possibility of the PCM and the TCM rattling/clunking together. If there is contact between these two modules, insulate the modules from each other using a small piece of foam.

Object Number: 2003906 Size: SH
2. Check that the retaining clip on the engine coolant surge tank is fully seated. If not, push down to seat.

Rattles/clunks in this area of the engine compartment may be heard as coming from the steering column while driving.

Warranty Information #5
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E9458*
Repair to Correct Rattle/Clunk Noise in Front of Vehicle
0.2 hr

* This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. The number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Condition #6 (FE1 Suspension Only)

Some customers may comment on a clunk, thump or rattle noise coming from the front suspension while driving over rough road conditions or when braking.
Cause #6

Object Number: 2003907 Size: SH

This condition may be caused by the lower control arm rubber bushing (rear) coming out of its steel sleeve (1). This will cause the lower control arm to make hard contact (2) with the body structure. This condition may be more prevalent in regions that use road salt during the winter months.
Correction #6

If the rubber bushing has moved out of the steel sleeve, replace the lower control arm bushing. Do not replace the bushing if it is still centered in the steel sleeve.

If this does not eliminate the noise, continue to diagnose using chassis ears to identify the source of the noise.

Parts Information #6
Part Number
Description
Bushing, Front Lower Control Arm (Cobalt/G5/HHR/Pursuit)

Bushing, Front Lower Control Arm (ION)
Warranty Information #6

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E3550

Bushings ad/or Shaft, Front Control Arm Lower (Right) - Replace
E3551
Bushings ad/or Shaft, Front Control Arm Lower (Left) - Replace
E3557
Bushings ad/or Shaft, Front Control Arm Lower (Both) - Replace

Condition #7 (Saturn ION Only)

Some customers may comment on a squeak, rattle, pop, or clunk noise coming from the front of the vehicle during suspension movement.
Cause #7

This condition may be caused by the interface between the front stabilizer shaft, the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) and the front stabilizer shaft mounting clamp.
Correction #7

Replace the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings), if necessary, using the following procedure.

1. Verify the customer comment. Use Chassis Ear (SA9217NE or J39570) or a similar tool to determine the source of the noise. Refer to Noise Diagnosis - Front Suspension in SI.
2. If the noise is coming from either the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) or the clamps:

Important: Check the Service Parts Identification label in the rear compartment (trunk) to determine the vehicle's suspension system type, then obtain the correct insulators (bushings) corresponding to that suspension system type.
• On vehicles built after VIN breakpoint 4Z125195, replace both front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings). Refer to the Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Replacement procedure in SI.
• On vehicles built up to and including VIN 4Z125195, replace the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) and clamps. Refer to the Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Replacement procedure in SI.
3. Verify the repair by repeating Step 1.

Parts Information #7
Part Number
Description
Qty

Insulator, Front Stabilizer Shaft (2007 FE1 Suspension)

Insulator, Front Stabilizer Shaft (2007 FE2 Suspension)

Insulator, Front Stabilizer Shaft (2003-2007 FE3 Suspension)

Clamp, Front Stabilizer Shaft

Warranty Information #7

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
E2180
Insulator and/or Bracket, Front Stabilizer Shaft - Replace

Condition #8

Some customers may comment on a whine/hum noise from the steering column while making right hand turns at 5-15 mph (8-24 km/h). A slight whine/hum noise is considered to be normal for EPS so it will be helpful to compare to another like vehicle. If the vehicle exhibits excessive feedback/noise when compared to another vehicle, follow the correction procedure below.
Correction #8

Important: DO NOT replace the steering column.

Pull the 60 amp steering fuse (1) in the underhood fuse block. If this eliminates the whine/hum concern, contact the Technical Assistance Center for further information in order to repair the vehicle. If this does not eliminate the noise, continue to diagnose the vehicle according to the diagnostics in SI.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© 2009 General Motors. All rights reserved
Thank you for this, went and printed out the TSB #04-03-08-006D from GM and bought the extended warranty with my car, thought I wasted money on that warranty but man I am going to use it. And use it a lot.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 PM

yea i saw another thread about a article published about GM sueing the supplier company for 30 million or something bc of all the repairs for the clunk noises caused by the intermediate steering shaft and steering column .... so im printing that and bringing it to the dealership for warranty repairs
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Would you be able to post a link on that?

Got a link?

Last edited by Erik; 03-26-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM

Just google something like "GM sues parts supplier 30 million" and you'll find it

Quick Reply: Nasty clunk