Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Armor all

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Armor all

I was told by the accesories person at my dealership that armor all is actually bad for cars, because it has alcohol in it and that it actually dries out the materials that you put it on. Does anyone know if thats true or not, was she just trying to sell me that protectant package?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 PM

Very true,with our dash and doors about all you need is a damp cloth to clean.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
try vynilex(i think thats how you spell it) at pep boys it leaves the dash a deep black but has no oily residue.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 PM

Are there any other products that actually protect the dash without drying it out, or is it best to just wipe it down? Im mostly worried about the sun drying it out and making it crack.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:19 AM

303 Aerospace Protectant.

The only interior protectant that touches my car.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:24 AM

i use magueirs, it doesnt leave that crappy residue armor all does and it works great! even on leather heh
Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Former Vendor

100% True.

we have had great results with our 3 Amigos.

Turbo Wax 3 Amigos was formulated to tackle vinyl, leather and rubber all in one.This formula protects extremely on all 3 surfaces, without the need of additional products while producing a UV barrier that prevents premature cracking, fading and hardening.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 PM

Armoral and most(not all) so called protectants with silicone in them are NOT good for vinyl , plastic or leather . The hard plastic Cobalt dash is made from a polypropylene plastic . Clean your dash with a mixture of warm distilled water and small amount of the plain dawn dishsoap and it will stay looking new for a long long time . Polypropylene is very porus and absorb the moisture . Do that once a month an youll be set . I work in the plastics industry and the interior parts we manufacture already have a UV stabilizer added to the raw plastic before its processed . ITs all Ive ever done to my 2005 and all the plastic looks as new as the day I got it .

The reasoning for distilled water is all the minerals and impurities of normal tap or spring water are gone . If u were just to use normal tap water out of the sink , when it dried it would eventually start leaving a white calcium buildup .
Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
Armoral and most(not all) so called protectants with silicone in them are NOT good for vinyl , plastic or leather . The hard plastic Cobalt dash is made from a polypropylene plastic . Clean your dash with a mixture of warm distilled water and small amount of the plain dawn dishsoap and it will stay looking new for a long long time . Polypropylene is very porus and absorb the moisture . Do that once a month an youll be set . I work in the plastics industry and the interior parts we manufacture already have a UV stabilizer added to the raw plastic before its processed . ITs all Ive ever done to my 2005 and all the plastic looks as new as the day I got it .

The reasoning for distilled water is all the minerals and impurities of normal tap or spring water are gone . If u were just to use normal tap water out of the sink , when it dried it would eventually start leaving a white calcium buildup .
Thanks for the explanation, i just dont know if i want to go buy distilled water to clean my dash, lol. But in the long run i guess its worth it.
+ rep for you
Old 10-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gturismo1

+1. 303 aerospace is a great product. There are also plenty of other interior protectants out there that will provide uva and uvb protection too fwiw.

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC

My only concern w/ that, you touched on, and that is, theres no uv protection put on the dash. Although that may be ok for a quick wipe down, I'd still prefer to give a good application of a protectant w/ uv protection.

Last edited by Chris(NJ); 10-04-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM

I use a damp microfiber towel! Works wonders and isn't shiny!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
I use a damp microfiber towel! Works wonders and isn't shiny!
Yep, thats what ive been using so far. I like the look of a non-shiney dash, why does everybody think stuff needs to have a greasy coat of shine on it?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 PM

DAMN i need to stop using armoral then...I didnt know it was bad for our cars .
Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dispute
Yep, thats what ive been using so far. I like the look of a non-shiney dash, why does everybody think stuff needs to have a greasy coat of shine on it?
I dont know many people who even prefer that look any more. Other options as opposed to 303 would be poorboys natural look or optimum's protectant plus. The natural look does have a nice scent to it, whereas the pro. plus doesnt really have a scent. but both give a matte finish.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by bluebaltjim
try vynilex(i think thats how you spell it) at pep boys it leaves the dash a deep black but has no oily residue.
+1 Thats all that i ever use on vinyl and lexol is all i use on the leather of my cars and all the cars that i detail and i have never had a complaint.

Plus when you let the armor all sit in the hot sun with the windows closed it will create a haze on the windows when it drys. I've seen it so bad that when a car would come into work and sit on the lot i would have to bring it in every few days to clean the window's, even after the car has been completely detailed.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use one of those disposible swifter duster refils,Works excellent and gets in all the crevices,vent,shifter boot etc.
The Dust sticks to it ,try one there cheap.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Armor All looks great until any painted plastic starts peeling. You will notice the paint peel off of your door handles and the dash trim.

Even worse on Porsches, Escalades etc that have that very soft plastic that is painted with a waterbased paint. Looks like Athletes foot when it peels off and only takes about 6-7 months to start happening. The heat amplfies it even worse.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:37 PM

i did not know that. Thanks. I think that i will look at that 303 Aerospace Protectant.
thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:41 PM

I've heard about ArmorAll f'ing everything up, but I've never really seen it. My dad's Corvette is still showroom quality after 23 years and he douses it in ArmorAll... But, that car is a garage queen...
Old 10-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Bannned

Originally Posted by Gturismo1

yea, that is good stuff. they sell it with UV ray protection too. i posted a whole thing about it in a thread if you search it. maguires is also great too! i dont use armor all anymore, seemed like it collected dust pretty fast... maybe its just me
Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 AM

i use meguiars interior detailer works great leaves that plastic leaving a nice black for quite a while and smells pretty good!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:22 AM

I was told by the accesories person at my dealership that armor all is actually bad for cars, because it has alcohol in it and that it actually dries out the materials that you put it on. Does anyone know if thats true or not, was she just trying to sell me that protectant package?
you must of gotten your cobalt from hampton chevy/mazda in hampton. i got the same spill from the girl about armor all.
if anybody watched unique whips on speed tv, you know that they douwce those high end cars/trucks with nothing but armor all products.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by artawesome
you must of gotten your cobalt from hampton chevy/mazda in hampton. i got the same spill from the girl about armor all.
if anybody watched unique whips on speed tv, you know that they douwce those high end cars/trucks with nothing but armor all products.
haha, yep thats where i got my car from. I thought i was getting some exclusive info. Did she say that she was gunna give you a discount on the package thing bacause she liked you? she told me that

Did anybody get the protectant package the dealers offer, if so do you think its worth the money?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:56 PM

i just use damp towel
Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 PM

haha, yep thats where i got my car from. I thought i was getting some exclusive info. Did she say that she was gunna give you a discount on the package thing bacause she liked you? she told me that

Did anybody get the protectant package the dealers offer, if so do you think its worth the money?
i bought 2 cobalts from them and got the same spill both times. i thought she was cute and flirted with her about until i found out she had a boy friend...grrr. but no discount was offered cost was $400 added to the total bill. i did find out she does own a cobalt ss. so i told her about the site and a few nuggets about the cobalts.

Quick Reply: Armor all