Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Clay Bar kit should I get?
Meguiars Smooth Surface
46.51%
Mothers California Gold
37.21%
Other
16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Which Clay Bar?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Clay Bar?

Fixing to go buy a claybar kit to do my moms car. I cant decide between Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit or Mothers California Gold Clay kit, which kit do you guys prefer?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tr1p1ng
Fixing to go buy a claybar kit to do my moms car. I cant decide between Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit or Mothers California Gold Clay kit, which kit do you guys prefer?
i have meguires....its a great kit...but i got a second bottle of the detailer...i suggest that!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM

Looks good drakonen, what kind of wax did you use?
One other question, how many uses can you get out of a clay bar? Do you use the whole bar on the car the first time or no?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Former Vendor

Our oxidation block works with just water

How is Turbo Wax Bug/Oxidation Block Different From Detailing Clay?

A clay bar is a kind of clay as the name suggests and is used to remove some surface contaminants such as over spray, rail dust, some fallout, etc. A clay bar is not used for the removal of tar, bird droppings, tree sap, etc. Generally used with a good lubricant. Detailing clay’s are difficult to use because you have to be very careful not to drop the detailing clay on the ground by accident if so you can’t use it any more or run the risk to scratch the surface of your paint if you try to use it again. The wrong grade or not enough lubricant can also lead to serious surface damage.

Because of all of those problems, Turbo Wax created our own Bug/Oxidation Block remover can be used to quickly and SAFELY remove bonded contaminants, dropping and insect grime from automotive finishes. For automotive paint finishes, this product has the same function and environmentally safety as clay-based stain removers.

To give you an idea of the effectiveness of the Turbo Wax Bug/Oxidation Block...

http://www.turbowax.com/prod/turbo-w...mover-bar.html
Old 05-30-2008, 04:33 PM

Megs Smooth Surface...

As mentioned though... use lots of quick detailer!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:37 PM

i've used many different clay bars

they all work the same!!!!!

just use enough lube (detail spray or water) and you'll be all set!!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 PM

Do you use the whole clay bar the first time or just tear a portion of it off and use it?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor

With all the respect, I disagree, not all of them work the same, it depends on the abrasive quality.

General Information on the subject

Clay is a mixture of clay base and various mild abrasives. Clay along with a clay lubricant is used to remove paint contamination. Road grime, tar, bugs, rust, tree sap and even paint overspray can be removed with a clay bar. Clay bars differ in color and density but what is most important is the type and amount of abrasive particles they contain. All clay bars will be labeled from "mild" to "strong" abrasive quality.
Claying does not remove the clear coat of the paint but can cause marring or dullness if used incorrectly.

When using a clay bar sufficient lubrication must be present to avoid scratching the paint. It takes a few passes of clay to feel the difference on the surface of the paint.

To evaluate the effectiveness of claying dry the area and assess the paint and the bar. The paint should become slick to touch. The clay bar used should be turning gray. If the clay bar is dropped it must be discarded. The clay bar should be folded over frequently to expose clean surface. Claying does not replace polishing. It is a process that should be used before polishing compound is used.

I hope that helps
Old 05-30-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Wax
With all the respect, I disagree, not all of them work the same, it depends on the abrasive quality.

General Information on the subject

Clay is a mixture of clay base and various mild abrasives. Clay along with a clay lubricant is used to remove paint contamination. Road grime, tar, bugs, rust, tree sap and even paint overspray can be removed with a clay bar. Clay bars differ in color and density but what is most important is the type and amount of abrasive particles they contain. All clay bars will be labeled from "mild" to "strong" abrasive quality.
Claying does not remove the clear coat of the paint but can cause marring or dullness if used incorrectly.

When using a clay bar sufficient lubrication must be present to avoid scratching the paint. It takes a few passes of clay to feel the difference on the surface of the paint.

To evaluate the effectiveness of claying dry the area and assess the paint and the bar. The paint should become slick to touch. The clay bar used should be turning gray. If the clay bar is dropped it must be discarded. The clay bar should be folded over frequently to expose clean surface. Claying does not replace polishing. It is a process that should be used before polishing compound is used.

I hope that helps
QFT....but i did find that the meguires clay bar worked really well...and it comes in two small pieces, so i just used one of the pre packaged small pieces!! and i used meguires gold class paste wax, i loooooove that stuff!!!! (i would go turbo wax if i could, but i cant get that stuff at wally world...sadly)
Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 PM

Whew! Just got back in from washing, claying, washing, drying, waxing my moms car, lol.
I went with Megs kit, worked really well, the shine her car has right now is fkin awesome! I hope its not raining in the morning, lol.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whew! Just got back in from washing, claying, washing, drying, waxing my moms car, lol.
I went with Megs kit, worked really well, the shine her car has right now is fkin awesome! I hope its not raining in the morning, lol.
yeah, a good claybar does a nice job
Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 PM

pics! or ban-everyone else says it, so why cant i!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM

lol, I'll go snap a few shots, brb.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

yea, black SUCKS DICK this time of year in north jersey. it's snowing pollen out here (ask steddy ) me and the guys at work yesterday decide **** it, it's too nice to waste the day working, so i went home, got my cleaning supplies, and we all cleaned our cars. i washed my car, then used the clay bar, then used the crazy expensive victorias red wax from turbowax, by the time i got to a different panel, the previous panel was already covered in pollen! what a waste of time. literally 10 minutes after i was done, the car looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. i will never, under any circumstances own a black car again.

/rant
Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
yea, black SUCKS DICK this time of year in north jersey. it's snowing pollen out here (ask steddy ) me and the guys at work yesterday decide **** it, it's too nice to waste the day working, so i went home, got my cleaning supplies, and we all cleaned our cars. i washed my car, then used the clay bar, then used the crazy expensive victorias red wax from turbowax, by the time i got to a different panel, the previous panel was already covered in pollen! what a waste of time. literally 10 minutes after i was done, the car looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. i will never, under any circumstances own a black car again.

/rant
but at least the paint is protected now. we're still getting the pollen out in Virginia too. its not as bad this month. in april my car was yellow.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by artawesome
but at least the paint is protected now. we're still getting the pollen out in Virginia too. its not as bad this month. in april my car was yellow.
it's so sickening here. it looks like it's snowing sometimes, no joke. i know it's protected, and the paint is smooth as all hell. if you try to sit on my hood, or lean against my fender, you will slide right off. but it's aggravating when you spend $100 on cleaning supplies, spend hours cleaning, and it looks exactly the same as your co-workers car that he has owned for over a year and the only cleaning it ever recieved is from the rain. this time of year, i get pissed every time i clean the car. another month or two though, and all will be good
Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Da *****.

I think it looks pretty good myself.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:40 AM

Megs FTW \/\/

look at the reflections in the hood ^^^
Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 AM
Banned

clay is clay i'd imagine... but i dunno *shrugs*
Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
/rant
Lies.

I clayyed and waxed mine for the first time not too long ago...and none the less the next day...:sigh:

But now I can go through tht etouchless wash and it cleans EVERYTHING off.

Veddy veddy nice
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 AM

3M... i used to detail 100K+ BLACK amg mercedes and ferrari's with NOTHING but 3M product's... **** allmost had my own detailing business if it wasnt for my shoulder having a blown rotator cup... but hey that's life right..???
Old 05-31-2008, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
3M... i used to detail 100K+ BLACK amg mercedes and ferrari's with NOTHING but 3M product's... **** allmost had my own detailing business if it wasnt for my shoulder having a blown rotator cup... but hey that's life right..???
x5

3m is it,

some mothers stuff is good.