Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Clay Bar !!!! anyone used it

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar !!!! anyone used it

has anyone used the mothers or meguiars clay bar system...how well do they work i want some imput before i go spend 20 bucks on it .and whats the quality of the shine after ..!?!?!?!? thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They work good, they don't necessarily improve the shine, they simply remove the impurities from the paint, giving you a deeper color and smoother paint. You can/may add microscraches/swirls with one though.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
They work good, they don't necessarily improve the shine, they simply remove the impurities from the paint, giving you a deeper color and smoother paint. You can/may add microscraches/swirls with one though.

see thats what i was thinking your rubbing that clay on there and i know the little sand specs are gonna catch on the clay bar and scrath your paint???
Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why your supposed to put the lubricant on there. You'll get a little bit, but not much if you don't press really hard and keep the spot well lubed. Since your car doesn't have brand new paint on it more than likely you won't even notice a few more scratches. They're small enough that if you were to go over the car with swirl remover than wax (you HAVE to wax the car after claying anyways) you should be fine, and you'll have a MUCH better shine.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:47 PM

i actually just used the mother's clay bar kit last weekend and then used meguiar's cleaner wax after the bar, but here's a quick side pic of after using the clay bar.. the bar took off all the little tar pits everywhere and removed most of the water marks on the hood, roof, and trunk from sitting outside all of the time

Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
That's why your supposed to put the lubricant on there. You'll get a little bit, but not much if you don't press really hard and keep the spot well lubed. Since your car doesn't have brand new paint on it more than likely you won't even notice a few more scratches. They're small enough that if you were to go over the car with swirl remover than wax (you HAVE to wax the car after claying anyways) you should be fine, and you'll have a MUCH better shine.
yes sounds good alright thanks

Originally Posted by 07cobaltLScoupe
i actually just used the mother's clay bar kit last weekend and then used meguiar's cleaner wax after the bar, but here's a quick side pic of after using the clay bar.. the bar took off all the little tar pits everywhere and removed most of the water marks on the hood, roof, and trunk from sitting outside all of the time

looks good yea my paint after i put a good wax on it shines so im hoping this will help it ut a little more

Last edited by cobaltss76; 05-28-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Clay bar'ing your car is one of the best and most important steps in detailing your car to a show car shine.

I prefer the Mothers clay bar kit as the meguiars clay is a little too hard for my liking.

To properly clay bar your car:
Rinse your car off thoroughly to remove any loose dirt.
Wash your car thoroughly with a MICROFIBER wash mit. Remember, if Microfiber touches the ground, its useless, get a new mit at that point.
Rinse off your car.
Take your Mothers clay bar and work it in your hand to soften it up and get a good surface area.
Spray the 2x2 area of paint you are going to claybar with an instant detailer. (One should be provided for you in the kit.)
OPTIONAL: take your fingers and run it along the paint that you just sprayed with instant detailer, you will feel lots of tiny little bumps. Those bumps are dirt and grime that have adhered themselves to the clear coat.
Gentley rub the clay bar against the paint, it doesnt take a whole lot of finesse and you arent trying to buff the paint either, just nice and easy run the clay bar over the 2x2 area.
Keep spraying the area if it begins to dry, a dry claybar and damage your paint.
Run your fingers back over the paint, this time you should feel NO small bumps at all.
Spray with instant detailer again and wipe clean with a soft microfiber.
Check the claybar for any dirt or particles that it picked up, and work that surface back into the clay to provide you with a fresh clean clay bar surface for the next 2x2 patch.
IF YOUR CLAY BAR TOUCHES THE GROUND, IT IS DONE, THROW IT OUT.
IF YOUR CLAY BAR CAN NO LONGER BE WORKED TO PROVIDE A FRESH CLEAN SURFACE, ITS DONE.
Once you have done this over the entire car, you will want to wash your car again to remove any remaining clay or residue.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:36 PM

thanks man and do like Grishbok said, i washed mine first thing in the morning and then put it in the garage for the clay bar and wax parts to keep it from getting dirty and dusty before i got done..
Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 PM

I used Mothers claybar on my wife's black car. I got so many compliments about the hood from people that normally dont even notice when the car was clean or not. My mom said she was amazed at how the hood had a mirror finish even after owning the car for so many years. Just keep the area well lubricated and the claybar will not damage your paint. The kit comes with a bottle of Mothers detailer spray and you use that to keep the area wet.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grishbok
Clay bar'ing your car is one of the best and most important steps in detailing your car to a show car shine.

I prefer the Mothers clay bar kit as the meguiars clay is a little too hard for my liking.

To properly clay bar your car:
Rinse your car off thoroughly to remove any loose dirt.
Wash your car thoroughly with a MICROFIBER wash mit. Remember, if Microfiber touches the ground, its useless, get a new mit at that point.
Rinse off your car.
Take your Mothers clay bar and work it in your hand to soften it up and get a good surface area.
Spray the 2x2 area of paint you are going to claybar with an instant detailer. (One should be provided for you in the kit.)
OPTIONAL: take your fingers and run it along the paint that you just sprayed with instant detailer, you will feel lots of tiny little bumps. Those bumps are dirt and grime that have adhered themselves to the clear coat.
Gentley rub the clay bar against the paint, it doesnt take a whole lot of finesse and you arent trying to buff the paint either, just nice and easy run the clay bar over the 2x2 area.
Keep spraying the area if it begins to dry, a dry claybar and damage your paint.
Run your fingers back over the paint, this time you should feel NO small bumps at all.
Spray with instant detailer again and wipe clean with a soft microfiber.
Check the claybar for any dirt or particles that it picked up, and work that surface back into the clay to provide you with a fresh clean clay bar surface for the next 2x2 patch.
IF YOUR CLAY BAR TOUCHES THE GROUND, IT IS DONE, THROW IT OUT.
IF YOUR CLAY BAR CAN NO LONGER BE WORKED TO PROVIDE A FRESH CLEAN SURFACE, ITS DONE.
Once you have done this over the entire car, you will want to wash your car again to remove any remaining clay or residue.
thanks man !!!!!!!! sticky lol
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Htown2200
I used Mothers claybar on my wife's black car. I got so many compliments about the hood from people that normally dont even notice when the car was clean or not. My mom said she was amazed at how the hood had a mirror finish even after owning the car for so many years. Just keep the area well lubricated and the claybar will not damage your paint. The kit comes with a bottle of Mothers detailer spray and you use that to keep the area wet.

sounds good i love black cas wish mine was i bet it came out really nice
Old 05-28-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup i do it like twice a year wash clay bar the car twice even especially the roof and part behind your trunk and then wax it good
Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 AM

Clay bars are great just keep it lube and fold the clay when.it gets dirty. Then a swirl remover works great on black and a good coat of mothers or meguirs or any high end wax will give u a good finish I.use them on cars at the lit to.remove particles and then quick way job and they came out great.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay bars are good for pulling impurities out of the paint... you won't need to use them too often though. Every so often is fine.

I usually use them prior to breaking out the 7424.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:26 PM

ive used the meguiars clay bar on my car plenty of times makes the paint feel really slick and it does add depth to the finish... wash, claybar, wash again, wax and admire.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:59 AM

I used the meguiers one with a friend and it made the car feel alot smoother. No real difference in the color or shine. Baically it was a just a well detail exterior cleaning.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 AM

mothers clay bar kit is the best IMO..I try to use all mothers cleaner..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of threads on this.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Try Adam's Polishing's Clay Bar using his detail spray, then there's no need to wash after you play you can go right to polishing. His stuff is amazing, and costs more than mothers, but you get 200g of clay, and you get what you pay for.