Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Claybar FTL

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claybar FTL

So yeah today I decided to go all out in cleaning my paint

First i started just with the hose got all I could with that, then I took some dish soap and stripped all the **** off my paint. Then I took out the Mothers Claybar kit, thinking it was going to do something, did the whole car, saw no difference. Anyways then i broke out the mothers cleaning wax in the wax form, then did a second coat using the liquid mothers wax, then one ridiclous coat of the Ice wax paste.

Car looks pretty good, but i gotta say im dissapointed in the Claybar, way overhyped on here
Old 05-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno, I use the claybar quite often and it always does a great job. Makes the paint nice and smooth and takes off all the stuff you can't get with water and a sponge....
Old 05-12-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
It will remove any impurities on the paint, spots, roughness, things like that. Should make the finish just about perfectly smooth when done right. Either your car was already in great shape, or you did somethign wrong, i'm voting for the former.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:19 PM

Yeah I guess my paint was already good, w/e
Old 05-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you probably didn't use it right..
Old 05-12-2007, 06:32 PM

I just claybar'ed my car a week ago and it made a BIG difference. The paint is so smooth now. Better check how ya used it.. Unless your car wasnt that bad to begin with..
Old 05-12-2007, 06:47 PM

yeah because its so hard to spray a liquid and rub some playdough across a surface...Yeahh me dumbb
Old 05-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
yeah because its so hard to spray a liquid and rub some playdough across a surface...Yeahh me dumbb
it's very easy to not do it right actually, and you said it was your first time... so instead of being sarcastic, and bashing something that has been proven to work for a very long time, learn how to do it the right way.

you're saying it's overhyped... so we just responded no it's NOT overhyped, if you do it properly.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:55 PM

ROFL
Old 05-12-2007, 06:56 PM

Nice comeback
Old 05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by COBSS Matt
Nice comeback
i don't think it was a nice comeback... because if he's not happy with the outcome, then it's obvious he didn't do it right... either that, or his expectations were way too high
Old 05-12-2007, 07:17 PM

Or I've just taken good care of my paint? Perhaps?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Maybe someone can actually write out some steps here. I did the same thing with the Mother's Claybar thing. However, I did not realize any difference. Maybe im putting down too much lube? Either way, help would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:23 PM

My suggestion is to let someone who details cars on a regular basis do it for you. Its well worth it, as someone with experience will do it faster and better. It is also possible to damage the paint if you do not know what you are doing. Let someone else clay-bar and do the inital coat of wax, then you can add several coats of wax on top of that. You will have a great, durable finish that will last a long time.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:28 PM

true, ill get one of my friends to do it who know how to claybar a car, and have him teach me. (i like doing everything myself, rarely do I let anyone touch my cars.)
Old 05-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by BMWM51969
true, ill get one of my friends to do it who know how to claybar a car, and have him teach me. (i like doing everything myself, rarely do I let anyone touch my cars.)
I let the lot manager/head porter at the dealer where I used to work do mine. He also has a yellow SS/SC, and I help him out with anything, he has my old 3" pulley and I installed his intake for him, he lets me come by whenever I want and wash my car. He does real nice work, he just puts very thin coats of wax on. I let him clay the car, which I will be doing again sometime soon, then I wax the hell out of it 3-4 times in the next week or so, gives the car a glowing finish almost at night when the light hits it. God I love my yellow car!!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:42 PM

i use Eagle one wax-n-dry. very nice..

it does a very great job, easy to use and QUICK.
for waxing, i use meshiars

Last edited by h0l0caust; 05-12-2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I let the lot manager/head porter at the dealer where I used to work do mine. He also has a yellow SS/SC, and I help him out with anything, he has my old 3" pulley and I installed his intake for him, he lets me come by whenever I want and wash my car. He does real nice work, he just puts very thin coats of wax on. I let him clay the car, which I will be doing again sometime soon, then I wax the hell out of it 3-4 times in the next week or so, gives the car a glowing finish almost at night when the light hits it. God I love my yellow car!!
damn man, you got lucky! lol yellow does look good on that ss/sc.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 PM

I just skimmed thru this , so maybe I got the wrong impression ........the claybar in itself isnt gonna do squat to the way your paint looks . And if anything , will make your paint look worse after you strip all the old wax off and clay it . The only purpose of the clay is to remove contaminents you cant see .....oxidation , pollen ect , and stuff you can see thats a bitch to get off ....like tree sap , those tiny black tar marks that accumlate on the rockers and back of the car . Basically if you run your hands accross the surface of your paint and its glass smooth , you dont need to clay it at all . Just use the clay to go over areas that might need it , like for those little tar specs . If your paint does not feel smooth as glass , you will benefit from clay ....its like eraser literally and is the basis for almost every detail I do .

When u use clay , you dont have to use those qwik detail sprays either . Its cheaper just to go to paint shop and buy the clay by itself . I use a bucket of hot soapy water to act as a lubricant for the clay . I use dawn dish soap because it strips the old wax off and its mild , so it wont harm your paint at all .

Follow up the clay with a good swirl remover(if needed) , if not then just use a good polish , then finish with a good quality wax .
Old 05-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
I just skimmed thru this , so maybe I got the wrong impression ........the claybar in itself isnt gonna do squat to the way your paint looks . And if anything , will make your paint look worse after you strip all the old wax off and clay it . The only purpose of the clay is to remove contaminents you cant see .....oxidation , pollen ect , and stuff you can see thats a bitch to get off ....like tree sap , those tiny black tar marks that accumlate on the rockers and back of the car . Basically if you run your hands accross the surface of your paint and its glass smooth , you dont need to clay it at all . Just use the clay to go over areas that might need it , like for those little tar specs . If your paint does not feel smooth as glass , you will benefit from clay ....its like eraser literally and is the basis for almost every detail I do .

When u use clay , you dont have to use those qwik detail sprays either . Its cheaper just to go to paint shop and buy the clay by itself . I use a bucket of hot soapy water to act as a lubricant for the clay . I use dawn dish soap because it strips the old wax off and its mild , so it wont harm your paint at all .

Follow up the clay with a good swirl remover(if needed) , if not then just use a good polish , then finish with a good quality wax .

Yeah I didnt have anything like that on my car, so I guess I really didnt need to do it. I just wanted to after everyone was like raving about it on here lately
Old 05-12-2007, 08:55 PM

You don't see a difference with the clay bar...you feel the difference.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:00 AM

Or I've just taken good care of my paint? Perhaps?
there ya go. Sounds right to me

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i don't think it was a nice comeback... because if he's not happy with the outcome, then it's obvious he didn't do it right... either that, or his expectations were way too high
Like he's trying to point out, it dosn't take a brain surgeon to spray on a lubricant and then rub a gob of muck over the car. How could he not do it right? His paint was prolly good to begin with.

Last edited by COBSS Matt; 05-13-2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-13-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by COBSS Matt
there ya go. Sounds right to me

Like he's trying to point out, it dosn't take a brain surgeon to spray on a lubricant and then rub a gob of muck over the car. How could he not do it right? His paint was prolly good to begin with.
Thank you
Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 AM

Yeah your paint had to of been in good shape and taken cared of. It still doesn't hurt to run it over your car every 6~12 months though.

On the other hand, on a car which the paint wasn't taken cared of, i.e. my car that i bought used, it made an UNBELIEVEABLE difference.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 AM

Your right about it being over hyped thats for sure! I've used them several times from different brands and saw no benifits other then a wasted day. I just use the Meguiers 3 step and the car looks awesome! I've said what you have before and been flamed for it but its nice to see that there's someone else out there that expects more out of a product.

Quick Reply: Claybar FTL