Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

cobalt owners who buff their own cars! buffers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cobalt owners who buff their own cars! buffers?

what buffers does everyone use who does their own waxing/polishing/compounding? what polishing/compound products do you use?

just curious.

i just picked me up a dewalt 7-9 inch buffer,variable speed,only about 9 pounds.
i havent used it (cars been at the dealership) but i picked up 3m compound/light scratch remover along with a 3m polish. i havent buffed a car in about 6 years and wasnt going to let anyone touch it so i said EFF it,ill just buy a buffer.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 PM

meguiars has a great stage kit. Step 1 cleans the surface. Step 2 polishes (which typically removes a thin layer of paint). Step 3 applies the carnuba wax. What I do is I clay bar the car first before anything (after a good wash that is). I apply step 1, and the I use the buffer for step 2. Then the last part is I apply step 3 by hand. A light coat is all you need, and use straight back/forth motions (don't listen to the karate kid).
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 PM

now if only i could read the products in the picture. thats all the stuff i used. it was a long 7 hour day of work lol

n now it looks like crap again
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 PM

i know its a 3M brand cutting compound with meguiars scratch remover compound, then with meguiars sealant and wax... anything more specific than that idr
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM

meguiar's ultimate compound is what I would use if it's a deep scratch or swirling. They say you can apply it by hand, but I would stick to the buffer. And work in small sections. I usually tape it off b/c otherwise my ocd will kick in.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 PM

maybe this vid would help

How to use Ultimate Compound - YouTube
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM

my buddy works at a dealer and buffs cars and details them. he told me 3m compound is the best hands down. he wont use anything else,i cant wait until i get some spare time to buff my car. soo many scratches and stuff from the previous owner. it drive me nuts
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Best stuff on the market for machine polishing and detailing in general is Adam's. What's more, they have an awesome collection of detailed how-to videos on their web site explaining step-by-step how to do everything. Check it out here:

Instructional Detailing Videos

If you have ANY questions about a specific issue to do with detailing ANY part of your car, visit their forum here:

Adam's Polishes Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Their products aren't cheap, but comparable to say a Meguiar's or Mother's. Once you use their stuff you'll never go back.

I don't use any other brand on any part of my Cobalt. And it looks amazing
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
Best stuff on the market for machine polishing and detailing in general is Adam's. What's more, they have an awesome collection of detailed how-to videos on their web site explaining step-by-step how to do everything. Check it out here:

Instructional Detailing Videos

If you have ANY questions about a specific issue to do with detailing ANY part of your car, visit their forum here:

Adam's Polishes Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Their products aren't cheap, but comparable to say a Meguiar's or Mother's. Once you use their stuff you'll never go back.

I don't use any other brand on any part of my Cobalt. And it looks amazing
^^^This x infinity!! I saw this thread and was like I gotta mention Adam's but I was pleasantly surprised to see someone else has found this diamond in the rough. Their products and informational videos are the absolute best hands down. I use their products with the PC7424XP DA Polisher and the results are unbelievable. Like mentioned before, their products are a little on the expensive side but you definitely get what you pay for with them. Give them a try and you'll never use anything else again guaranteed. I'm also a member on there too if anyone joins. Same name as on this forum. Hey colodude I just noticed you live in Denver. You're so lucky man you practically live right next to Adam's. Must be nice haha.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by CrystalRedSS
Hey colodude I just noticed you live in Denver. You're so lucky man you practically live right next to Adam's. Must be nice haha.
Haha hi Stan! Good to see you're on here as well! Yeah I'm the guy that makes that 15-mile drive every other month or so to Adam's warehouse and spends waaaay too much money there. They have these carts you can push around the warehouse and I'm telling you, that's a very dangerous thing...! But getting the best detail products that money can buy = priceless!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by 09TcSedan
my buddy works at a dealer and buffs cars and details them. he told me 3m compound is the best hands down. he wont use anything else,i cant wait until i get some spare time to buff my car. soo many scratches and stuff from the previous owner. it drive me nuts
this is false. 3m is the best compound for correction, fast cutting and wetsand correction and what not. ive used it for many many many years and have been through a lot of their major changes. menzerna is the best polishes hands down imho for detailing. you get so much more depth and clarity out of it. 3m is my favorite for taking after wetsand jobs or heavy cutting.

i cant even begin to start here with what i use. i have so many different things in my arsonal from 3m, to meguiars, to menzera, lake country, etc etc etc. every car takes to products differently and requires its own touch depending on what people want and the time your given.

also for newbs a rotary is not recommended witout practice. you will screw up the paint.... dual action polishers are recommended.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
maybe this vid would help

How to use Ultimate Compound - YouTube
on problem with this vid.... dont ever detail in direct sunlight.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Haha hi Stan! Good to see you're on here as well! Yeah I'm the guy that makes that 15-mile drive every other month or so to Adam's warehouse and spends waaaay too much money there. They have these carts you can push around the warehouse and I'm telling you, that's a very dangerous thing...! But getting the best detail products that money can buy = priceless!
Haha that's so cool! I'd love to be able to actually go there and buy right from the warehouse. Do they offer cheaper prices if you buy on site?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM
#cobalthoes

Im hoping to get into buffing this summer. Always wanted to try it, just been afraid lol
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 AM

BBest thing to do is go to a local body shop pick up some scrap panels to practice on before touching a car
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by CrystalRedSS
Do they offer cheaper prices if you buy on site?
Erm...yeah.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by dakotaspeir
Im hoping to get into buffing this summer. Always wanted to try it, just been afraid lol
Don't be. And there's really no need to get panels from a scrap yard either. I was a total noob at polishing 2 years ago and the only way you can damage your car with the porter cable dual action polisher is if you drop it on your car.
Seriously, watch this video and you'll see how easy it is:

Porter Cable Polishing Detailing Video
Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
weird i was just talking to my girl today about this
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Don't be. And there's really no need to get panels from a scrap yard either. I was a total noob at polishing 2 years ago and the only way you can damage your car with the porter cable dual action polisher is if you drop it on your car.
Seriously, watch this video and you'll see how easy it is:

Porter Cable Polishing Detailing Video
yeah IF your using a porter cable. if your using a rotary practice practice practice. i wont stress it enough.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM

i havent buffed a car in over 6 years from when i worked at a carwash. good thing i have 3 work vehicles to practice buffing on to make sure i still know what to do lol

i buffed my work truck that i drive daily yesterday after work. i wasnt motivated at all to do it but i had a good hour and a half of compounding the hood and fenders. it turned out pretty damn good. for never having any wax or anything on it.

what does everyone use for a wax? i grabbed some liquid glass this passed summer and that turned out pretty good on my car. i used meguires tech wax 2.0 for my work truck yesterday and that turned out well also
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Apply a sealant with the porter cable but after that nothing, NOTHING provides more protection and a more brilliant shine than this:
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM

I'll throw my hat in the Adam's ring. Nothing beats it.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 AM

It's nice to see more people that know about and use Adam's. Great stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 AM

Oh yeah, I've been an Adam's user since 05 I think. I tell everyone I know.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of these days I'll learn how to buff. I need to, I'm too obsessive about my car to not know how to. Unfortunately all I've got to learn on is a rotary buffer at work. Luckily we've got a whole bunch of junk cars I can practice on.

Quick Reply: cobalt owners who buff their own cars! buffers?