Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Detailing/Paint help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing/Paint help

This is my situation:

I go to U of Texas and park in a student lot near the baseball stadium. Needless to say it is being remodeled and overspray got on my car! It turns out the construction company doing the renovation knew about the problem and is being cooperative in fixing all the damaged cars. They have set me up with a detailer to clean off the epoxy and refinish my paint.

This is my question:

I took my car in today to get fixed, when I went pick it up, the guy said that the only way he could get the epoxy off was by wet sanding (2000 grit) The paint looks great, absolutely no eggshell, but do I have to worry about having a lesser amount of clearcoat now? Is there anything that I sould tell him to do or ask him to assure that my paint will last? Is there anything I should do to prolong the life of the paint? Thanks in advance

p.s. the car is black and the epoxy is white.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I manage a paint and body shop in Flower Mound, TX. What he told is no different than what I would have done. You do not have anything to worry about in regards to your paint. As long as you wax it with a quality carnuba (hand applied) wax such as Mothers or Mequiers every 3 months you will have nothing to worry about. There is nothing that he can do to outside of paint your car to strengthen the paint. You cannot just "add" clear. Clearing a vehicle means painting a vehicle. No ifs ands or buts. Sounds like he did a good job. Just remember to wax your car every 3 months and it will continue to look as fresh as the day you bought it.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
consider yourself lucky actually.

Show quality cars pay a FORTUNE after a paintjob, to have this done to get that "no orange peel" look by wetsanding.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by an0malous
consider yourself lucky actually.

Show quality cars pay a FORTUNE after a paintjob, to have this done to get that "no orange peel" look by wetsanding.
Yeah, that's what the guy told me. I just wasn't sure if he was just telling me that to make me feel better. It looks incredible so far, smooth as glass. (He said it took so long to do half of the car that he has to do the rest another day.) It took him all day to do half of it. Thanks guys, I feel much better about my 2-month-old car now.