Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Detailing Steps...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing Steps...

...what steps and products do you all use when washing or detailing your car(s)?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 PM

If you take a look in my subforum in the vendors section (link here ) https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/glimmer-glass-detailing-156/ You can see a few of the vehicles I've done. I list the products and the steps that I use them in before the pics.

What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Just a wash and wax? polishing? claying? Let me know what you're thinking and we'll go from there
Old 12-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Try not to worry about what product your using more so the process your using. Some people in here swear by Zaino, others by Turtle Wax. Try what works for you. Just make sure you process is sound.

Also, check out http://autopia.org/. Between their Guide to Detailing and the forums over there, any question you could possibly want to know can be answered. And chances are, a simple search of the forums will provide you with multiple answers from differing viewpoints.

Not knocking the Show and Shine section here at the .net, but Autopia is like the holy grail of detailing forums, well, at least it is to me
Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
If you take a look in my subforum in the vendors section (link here ) https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156 You can see a few of the vehicles I've done. I list the products and the steps that I use them in before the pics.

What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Just a wash and wax? polishing? claying? Let me know what you're thinking and we'll go from there
well i was just trying to see what everyone does. i know some only use auto car washes and other only was at there house. like my one friend says a quick wash is 3-4 hours when a quick wash for me is maybe 30 min.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dunkinuts
well i was just trying to see what everyone does. i know some only use auto car washes and other only was at there house. like my one friend says a quick wash is 3-4 hours when a quick wash for me is maybe 30 min.
You should definitely stick to using auto specific shampoos. Household soaps like dawn can rob your moldings and trim of oils which will eventually dry them out over time.
If you use optimum no rinse, you can wash your vehicle in 15-20 mins. Traditional washes take a little longer, probably around 30. Using something like a foam gun will speed up that time, provide a safer wash for the vehicle, and make it a little fun in the process.

What I do is prerinse the vehicle. Then take my bug/tar remover and hit any necessary areas. I then move to the wheels and spray them w/ a wheel cleaner. I then start by hitting one wheel at a time w/ the foam gun and clean each using a retired sheepskin wash mitt. Once the wheels are done, they're rinsed clean and I start on the body. I foam one section at a time and wash accordingly.
That whole process, like I said, is about 25 mins give or take.