Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Show & Shine (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/)
-   -   Engine bay cleaning (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/engine-bay-cleaning-49838/)

Evilfrog 03-08-2007 06:45 PM

Engine bay cleaning

Is it safe to spary our engine bays? After having an opti spark i've been worried about spraying ours.

06 pursuit gt 03-08-2007 09:41 PM

its absolutely ok to i do all day i am a detailer at a gm dealership and i have never had any problems. but...you should try to stay away from the plugs and the fuse box. when its cold outside and you bring your car in to wash it water gets into ther and freezes jus a heads up!:twothumbs

My06Coby 03-08-2007 09:45 PM

Of course you can, if you have a 2.4 or 2.2 and a CAI or SRI on it make sure to cover it up appropriatly

BooSSted 03-08-2007 10:11 PM

What products do you guys use to clean your engine bays? What your best method of application?

saunders1986 03-08-2007 10:45 PM

search!!!

Tofu 03-08-2007 10:45 PM

Engine Cleaning

1. Make sure engine is warm, but not hot. Cold engines are harder to remove grease and oil from.

** Check the directions on the engine cleaner/degreaser you are using, though. Some specifically say to clean the engine when cold only. **

2. Cover your distributor (if you do not know what or where it is, get a manual for your car), alternator and fuse box. Most electronics under your hood are adequately sealed for rain water splashing up on them, but high pressure water is another story.

3. Spray Greased Lightning's Orange Blast (my preferred engine degreaser) liberally all over your engine and engine bay. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. If your engine is really dirty, then after the 5 minutes, spray it down again and wait an additional 5 minutes.

4. Spray the engine and engine bay with high pressure rinse water - but even though your distributor may be covered, still use lower pressure around it to be on the safe side.

5. Any remaining grime, spray again with Orange Blast, and use a stiff brush if needed. Rinse again.

6. Remove the plastic coverings and start the engine. Let it run until it is dry. You will have to dry the painted surfaces in the engine bay and the underside of the hood with a towel.

7. Dress any hoses, etc. you want with rubber/vinyl dressing.

BlackSS05 03-08-2007 10:49 PM

^ sounds like exactly what we do at the stealership.

tREBs 03-08-2007 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tofu (Post 896454)
Engine Cleaning

1. Make sure engine is warm, but not hot. Cold engines are harder to remove grease and oil from.

** Check the directions on the engine cleaner/degreaser you are using, though. Some specifically say to clean the engine when cold only. **

2. Cover your distributor (if you do not know what or where it is, get a manual for your car), alternator and fuse box. Most electronics under your hood are adequately sealed for rain water splashing up on them, but high pressure water is another story.

3. Spray Greased Lightning's Orange Blast (my preferred engine degreaser) liberally all over your engine and engine bay. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. If your engine is really dirty, then after the 5 minutes, spray it down again and wait an additional 5 minutes.

4. Spray the engine and engine bay with high pressure rinse water - but even though your distributor may be covered, still use lower pressure around it to be on the safe side.

5. Any remaining grime, spray again with Orange Blast, and use a stiff brush if needed. Rinse again.

6. Remove the plastic coverings and start the engine. Let it run until it is dry. You will have to dry the painted surfaces in the engine bay and the underside of the hood with a towel.

7. Dress any hoses, etc. you want with rubber/vinyl dressing.

what do u use to cover the distributor, alternator... etc..??

Tofu 03-08-2007 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by tREBs (Post 896482)
what do u use to cover the distributor, alternator... etc..??

I usually use a terry cloth or two. The most important thing it to be liberal with the water...in all honesty the chances of ruining something even without any cover is pretty slim....but I always do it as a precaution.

ChrisAult2004 03-08-2007 11:14 PM

I work at Dave Arbogast in Troy, OH, we just soak the entire bay and underside of the hood in an all purpose degreaser and spray the shit outta it, then use tire shine to dress everything.

halfj99 03-08-2007 11:15 PM

"simple green" is the shit

tREBs 03-08-2007 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tofu (Post 896540)
I usually use a terry cloth or two. The most important thing it to be liberal with the water...in all honesty the chances of ruining something even without any cover is pretty slim....but I always do it as a precaution.

fair enough! thx for the help!

SIvsCobalt 03-08-2007 11:21 PM

try some of the foaming tire spray that you dont have to wipe, it works great but, creates a littler more heat in the engine bay though!!

06 pursuit gt 03-09-2007 09:37 PM

all-purpose cleaner works very well any kind will do they arent quite as deadly to breathe in as degreaser.

1BadBlueSS 03-10-2007 07:43 AM

Mine is covered with salt