Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Outside appearance in shambles

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside appearance in shambles

Well just bought a used 06 black ss 2.4 recently. Got it for a good price given the condition (15699, sunroof, auto, sound with only 6k miles on it) Yeah the rims had seen a few curbs, and the paint was still dirty from a bad dealer detailer. So after washing her up i realized how bad the paint was. There are several scratches (which were made worse with the waxing i did, but it seemed like it was the 1st wax ever on the paint). There are also a few chips. I don't mind doing the repairs my self, but just wanting to make sure i do it right. \

For the chips, i have the GM paint. I have read to clean the chips well with a dawn diluted mix, then take a toothpick and probe for loose peices. Then just slowly build the paint drop by drop till almost filled. Then finish with the GM clear? will it come out smooth enough to catch with a buffer? I have the porter cable rob.

What is the best way to tackle the scratches? I can't tell after my wax job how deep they are cause i cant tell if it is primer, or just wax in the scratch. Will the dawn mix help with that so i can better see the damage?

Also the bumper looks like its taken a small bump on the passenger side. There is about 3/8ths of an inch worth of compression before the under foam stops it. The drivers side is firm. The passenger side hood was slighly outta shape, but was an easy bend back. Is the bumper scrap or is it salvageable? Some of the paint on it is cracking, and under the front lic plate holder there is an indention from the impact on the bumper.

on a side note, i believe the previous owner was a woman, cause the black interior was coated in a light powder (makeup). Nothing against the women, just put the makeup on outside the car :P
Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 AM

bump!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Well, your going to invest quite a bit of money to fix those scratches and stone chips yourself, let alone the dent in the bumper. I'm not saying its outside of your skill level, but it can get quite costly obtaining all the tools and materials to fix these blemishes correctly.

Near the bottom of this page, there is a very detailed walkthrough of what you'll need to do:
http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...nt-clinic.html

As you can see, there is quite a lot of work to do, not to mention tools and materials that you'll also need. If you have these tools already, then it shouldn't cost you much, but if you don't, I'd call around a few body shops and get some quotes. But if you want to take it on yourself, more power to you
Old 12-07-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gturismo1
As you can see, there is quite a lot of work to do, not to mention tools and materials that you'll also need. If you have these tools already, then it shouldn't cost you much, but if you don't, I'd call around a few body shops and get some quotes. But if you want to take it on yourself, more power to you
Thanks for the link. I can be quite stubbon at times. I think i'll get some quotes as suggested and weight it against doing it myself. Nothing like saying I do all my own work, and I mean all of it (well except for tuning and laser alignment, but who has the $$$ for that equipment)