Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Why didnt scratch x work?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why didnt scratch x work?? Help

Well recently I removed my chevy emblem off the back of my car and I accidently put some swirls/scratches in the paint. They are not noticeable unless you look for them or get the car in the right light but it still drives me insane!! So I went and got some scratch x to take care of the scratches. I made sure the surface was clean and applied the scratch x. After working it in and letting it sit for a min I removed it and there was no difference at all. The only thing I can think of is that there is too much wax covering the scratches right now, I wax the car about 3-4 times a month. Is it possible that there is too much wax covering the scratches right now and it is stopping the scratch x from doing its job? You cant even feel the scratches they are so minor but they cover an area about the size of a nickle and are visible. Anyone have any ideas for me? I am obsessive compulsive about my paint and CANT STAND seeing imperfections!

Mike
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM

waxing your car too much wont scratch it, but wiping and rubbing on your paint does, make sure you use a clean applicator pad and micro fiber to remove the wax, as for removing the swirl scratches in your paint scratch x will simply do nothing but add a thick glaze to dull the appearance of scratches, the ONLY way to remove swirls from the paint is to do a 3 step any experienced detailer will know what im talking about, its a process where you cut the the clear coat down and polish it out to make the paint clean again with no swirls or scratches, how ever you gotta consider your cutting your clear coat down and over time your car could possibly fade thats if you do a 3 step like every month or so, i would recomend getting a 3 step done like once a year, i'd say im a good source for info on this being ive got about 5-6 years of detail experience and 5 of them was spent managing high volume dealerships
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 AM

What bl0wn has said here is basicly right. You'll need to strip the wax buildup that you have off the paint, then use a claybar to clean your paint. You can then go back over the paint with wax and polish... should clean it up nicely... but will take a lot of time.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bro, waxing 3-4 times a month is just silly... that's totally overkill... if you get a good wax, just use a good polish inbetween waxes.

but yes, the wax should be stripped before you try to get scratches out... otherwise, you're applying the scratch x to your wax, not your paint.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=D4u2s0t;1187122]bro, waxing 3-4 times a month is just silly... that's totally overkill... if you get a good wax, just use a good polish inbetween waxes.
QUOTE]

wax and polish are very differant, wax is wax, polish is wax with a light grit to help cut the clear coat down to polish it out, you should wax once a month or every other month but be using a good spray wax every time you wash your car
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM

I typically wax every 3 months. I do use some of that eagle 1 "wax as you dry" spray stuff every time I wash the car... keeps the finish nicely protected.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 AM

funny how the wax as you dry concept has been becoming lately, years ago i was waxing my cars while they were still wet then coming back and removing it after they dried, kinda like applying wax with a wet towell, but if you want a really good wax you spray on while wet then dry the car off try to get ahold of some speed glaze, its been around for like 20 years its yellow and smells like lemonade its the ****, lately ive been using this stuff called viper by ardex its a blue paste wax but you apply it through a spray bottle, wax on wax off extremely easy with no powder left over, but speed glaze is the **** i will put my life on it
Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=bl0wnbalt;1187145]
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
bro, waxing 3-4 times a month is just silly... that's totally overkill... if you get a good wax, just use a good polish inbetween waxes.
QUOTE]

wax and polish are very differant, wax is wax, polish is wax with a light grit to help cut the clear coat down to polish it out, you should wax once a month or every other month but be using a good spray wax every time you wash your car
i never said they were the same! i said the exact same thing that you did mang.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 AM

I have a basic 3 step at my house made by meguires but I dont have an orbital to apply it with. I am going to strip off the old wax today and apply the scratch x then do the 3 steps to see if I can get rid of the scratches. Thanks for all the input guys, plus rep for being nice and informative!

Mike
Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 07 SS/SC
I have a basic 3 step at my house made by meguires but I dont have an orbital to apply it with. I am going to strip off the old wax today and apply the scratch x then do the 3 steps to see if I can get rid of the scratches. Thanks for all the input guys, plus rep for being nice and informative!

Mike
also, for small scratches get some rubbing compound... you can get it at any auto store, it shouldn't be more than a few dollars. it will really get out some scratches, get it looking better than new. use it if the scratch x still doesn't work.

now keep in mind tht it's an abrasive, so you have to be VERY, VERY light with it or you'll take your clear coat right off. when you apply it, pretend you have hemoroids and you hve to wipe you ass. just the THOUGHT of using that tp on your inflamed ass hurts... i know that's nasty, but that's how easy you have to press.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 PM

i have a question, is high pressure wax good for your car, like some coin car wash places, one near me has rinse,soap,wax, and a whoel bunch of other things, im just wondering if high pressure wax is good.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by killah_thug08
i have a question, is high pressure wax good for your car, like some coin car wash places, one near me has rinse,soap,wax, and a whoel bunch of other things, im just wondering if high pressure wax is good.
i do the middle one usually, which has the underbody wash, pre-rinse, rinse, etc. i don't get the top one which includes the clear coat protectant, because i find that it smears when you try to wax or polish.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i do the middle one usually, which has the underbody wash, pre-rinse, rinse, etc. i don't get the top one which includes the clear coat protectant, because i find that it smears when you try to wax or polish.
nono its a coin wash so u do it yourself, its like high pressure wax shootin at your car
Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Well guys I washed my car today with a 50/50 mix of blue coral and dawn dish soap to help remove all my exsisting wax. After I got the car dryed off I used a clay bar, then I used a light polishing compound and topped it off with some meguires gold class paste wax. The scratches look ALOT better. They are not completely gone but they are 100 times less noticeable. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped and let you guys know how it turned out!

Thanks, Mike