08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Help low coolant over heating

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help low coolant over heating

so my car says low coolant and is overheating but the thing is the temp gauge rises way to fast like to 100 in half a minute. I had the thermostat replaced and still same problem. The coolant would all disappear but I have no leaks so I thought I cracked the sleeve and the coolant was in the oil pan. Thinking I blew it up I decided to drive it for fun and then I cracked the overflow and all the coolant came rushing back out into the overflow and then all disappeared back into the motor again. I stopped at my dealership and a mechanic said it could be a head gasket or a water pump but wants to have me bring it in and pay to diagnose it but if it's just the water pump I'd rather just buy it and replace it myself so what do you guys think it is? I'm not leaving from the head and there's no coolant in the oil
Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
You may have trace amounts of coolant in the oil and not be able to tell without getting your oil tested. Did you say you cracked the overflow tank just from driving around? Have you been adding coolant? If you are losing coolant without seeing evidence of leaks internally or externally I would not think it would be your water pump. They make die kits that will indicate if there is combustion gasses in the coolant which would most likely be a bad head gasket seal. Are you having any misfires? Does it start up rough?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I cracked it as like opened it and yes I have had misfires months earlier before this all started happening and it does start rough sometimes stalling out
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 AM

I would guess head gasket. Could be a sleeve to I suppose.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
porous block?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by advise
porous block?
Oh yeah forgot we were in LNF section.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
I'd have someone diagnose it. Doesn't necessarily have to be the dealer. You don't want to throw parts at it, you'll quickly spend more than the diagnosis. It's probably not the water pump. Even if it's a cracked sleeve or whatnot, it's still likely worth replacing with used LNF/LHU or new LDK.

Depending on how much coolant is missing, it can be easy to see if it's in the oil pan. You can crack open the drain plug and if there's unmixed coolant it'll come out first. You can check the dispstick if there's an excessive amount of oil. If it's been churned up the oil will look nasty. If the amount is less than a pint or so, you'd need analysis to see it.