New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Just bought my dream machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought my dream machine

What's up guys? I finally bought an LNF sedan last month, and I love everything about it.
I'm considering adding mods, but I plan on keeping it light. Any concerns with a High-flow catted downpipe, ZZP intake tube, K&N Drop In filter, and a Trifecta canned tune?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:11 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
You have the mods right except the canned tune. Spend the extra money and get a custom tune from someone reputable. Also I would recommend replacing your front rear control arm bushings and also go with a decent roasted trans mount. Powell race parts makes a good mount and bushings.
The following users liked this post:
07MetallicSC (04-27-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I agree. Roasted trans mount is an excellent mod.

Also welcome and what is going on in the background of that picture?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Check out Powell parts I thinks it’s Powellraceshop.com for a rear sway bar, motor and tranny mounts and Contol arm bushings, contact Gloria they make some lowering springs that are top notch too. Almost forgot his air oil separator too
Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Welcome!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
And it's not painted black!

Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Id lean more to a k&n sri, youll like the noise and it flows. Im running the high flow zzp dp and have no issues on the gms1 tune. If your gonna spend money for a tune then get a good hp tune from one of the amazing tuners we have on here. Suspension mods described above are also good ideas.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Welcome!
I agree with most of the recommendations. Just get rotated mounts, the "roasted" ones are a little "overdone"
Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!!
Sorry if the format is **** here, this is my first time on a forum and I'm pretty sure this is how I can respond to everyone in one post

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
You have the mods right except the canned tune. Spend the extra money and get a custom tune from someone reputable. Also I would recommend replacing your front rear control arm bushings and also go with a decent roasted trans mount. Powell race parts makes a good mount and bushings.
Ok, I'll see about where I can get a tune in my area. I'll also check out Powell for the bushings and the trans mount, I appreciate the advice bro

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I agree. Roasted trans mount is an excellent mod.

Also welcome and what is going on in the background of that picture?
Thanks! I went to a car meet at my local racetrack and there was a burnout competition. I didn't participate, but the smoke filled the entire event lmao

Originally Posted by Dutchman
Check out Powell parts I thinks it’s Powellraceshop.com for a rear sway bar, motor and tranny mounts and Contol arm bushings, contact Gloria they make some lowering springs that are top notch too. Almost forgot his air oil separator too
Shidd I'll see about the sway bar too, but I can't get lowering springs bc my area's got a shitty roads, full of potholes and speed bumps The Air Oil Separator sounds like a good idea, good to prevent problems before they start ig lol

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
Welcome!
Thanks!! (nice tail lights btw those look sick)

Originally Posted by steelmesh
And it's not painted black!

Nope! I love the silver, but if I ever have to get it repainted, I'm going with Imperial Blue

Originally Posted by Kolt
Id lean more to a k&n sri, youll like the noise and it flows. Im running the high flow zzp dp and have no issues on the gms1 tune. If your gonna spend money for a tune then get a good hp tune from one of the amazing tuners we have on here. Suspension mods described above are also good ideas.
Dumb question, but what's an SRI? And how do ya like the GMS1?

Originally Posted by colodude18
Welcome!
I agree with most of the recommendations. Just get rotated mounts, the "roasted" ones are a little "overdone"
damn, i got a lot to learn
Old 04-24-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Storethis
Thanks for the replies guys!!
Sorry if the format is **** here, this is my first time on a forum and I'm pretty sure this is how I can respond to everyone in one post

Ok, I'll see about where I can get a tune in my area. I'll also check out Powell for the bushings and the trans mount, I appreciate the advice bro

Thanks! I went to a car meet at my local racetrack and there was a burnout competition. I didn't participate, but the smoke filled the entire event lmao

Shidd I'll see about the sway bar too, but I can't get lowering springs bc my area's got a shitty roads, full of potholes and speed bumps The Air Oil Separator sounds like a good idea, good to prevent problems before they start ig lol

Thanks!! (nice tail lights btw those look sick)

Nope! I love the silver, but if I ever have to get it repainted, I'm going with Imperial Blue

Dumb question, but what's an SRI? And how do ya like the GMS1?

damn, i got a lot to learn
I enjoy gms1 but if I was to pay for a tune id get it from someone like @KMO43 I have the gms1 bc it was free to me (other than having to buy the upgraded sensor kit) bc I work at a gm dealer. SRI stands for Short Ram Intake.
Its this intake here https://www.knfilters.com/cold-air-i...balt/2.0l/2008
You can get it cheaper used or from other sites like zzperformance.com. I really enjoy it, brings out the turbo noises nicely and makes it so the bpv sounds like a bov. The forge bpv is just a bonus.
KMO43 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Thanks man! Tails are done by Colodude or adrian taillights(facebook) I highly recommend him.

Tuning I also recommend kmo43 and forge bpv is a waste of money imo
KMO43 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
Thanks man! Tails are done by Colodude or adrian taillights(facebook) I highly recommend him.

Tuning I also recommend kmo43 and forge bpv is a waste of money imo
^This is true about the forge bpv, its not for performance gains in any way, only for fun noises. I wouldn't have got one if I hadn't come across the nearly new one I got super cheap. I was able to get it at like 60 or 70 bucks shipped.

Last edited by Kolt; 04-24-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
The Powell trans mount is all you will need. Factory engine mounts are just fine. The gms1 tune is ok, but since your car isn't under warranty now there isn't any use in going with it. I would NOT go to just any tuner. Make sure they have experience tuning di turbo cobalts because if you don't it's easy to grenade the engine. I had gms1 to start with and it's a nice little safe bump in power but if you have mods like a downpipe it won't take advantage of the better flow as it's capped at 285 engine hp in the computer. Then I went with trifecta and it was slightly better because they could take the factory limits off to be able to gain more power with mods. The car never ran great on the trifecta tune. Then I purchased hp tuners and got a remote tune from a guy on here back then that really made the car awesome.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
The Powell trans mount is all you will need. Factory engine mounts are just fine. The gms1 tune is ok, but since your car isn't under warranty now there isn't any use in going with it. I would NOT go to just any tuner. Make sure they have experience tuning di turbo cobalts because if you don't it's easy to grenade the engine. I had gms1 to start with and it's a nice little safe bump in power but if you have mods like a downpipe it won't take advantage of the better flow as it's capped at 285 engine hp in the computer. Then I went with trifecta and it was slightly better because they could take the factory limits off to be able to gain more power with mods. The car never ran great on the trifecta tune. Then I purchased hp tuners and got a remote tune from a guy on here back then that really made the car awesome.
People keep recommending the HP Tune, so I might just need to go with that one. I want to keep this car running as long as I possibly can, so if HP is the safest and one of the fastest I’ll go with that. No issues with it?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt
^This is true about the forge bpv, its not for performance gains in any way, only for fun noises. I wouldn't have got one if I hadn't come across the nearly new one I got super cheap. I was able to get it at like 60 or 70 bucks shipped.
lmao looks like I’ll be skipping the BPV then if it doesnt do anything. Thanks for the input))
Old 04-26-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Storethis
People keep recommending the HP Tune, so I might just need to go with that one. I want to keep this car running as long as I possibly can, so if HP is the safest and one of the fastest I’ll go with that. No issues with it?
HP Tuners is the means of performing a tune, not a "tune" itself. It is used by a "tuner" to create a custom tune for your car. This is contrasting a "canned" tune, where you either send your ECM somewhere or someone sends you and interface and reconfigures your ECU. Using a tuner to custom tune your car is more expensive, but the product is much better.