Site Development and Help Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

How do you create a website like Cobaltss.net?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you create a website like Cobaltss.net?

It seems like some sites are instantly hit with a large amount of users the minute they open up and are backed by various venders. Just wondering how the admin to this site attracted everyone here.

I got to thinking about how I wished the Ion community had a community like this. There are the Redline forums but nothing for the regular Ion out there. I'm kind of tired of being grouped together with S-series dominated boards and I wish we had some type of community for ourselves. Not for just Redlines but for all Ions...

I would love to tackle something like creating a board for Ion users but I only know basic XHTML and CSS and have never ran a large website before.

Anyway, just spouting off random stuff...feel free to post your thoughts.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:41 AM

It isn't that hard to get forums and what not on the site, the hard part is getting people to come to the site, which the guys here did well. Buy a domain name, pickup a host, install the boards, and then get people to come.

Althought my major is Web Design in College and I have been doing it for years so I guess it just seems easy to me. But find a forum you like, download it and instructions should be with it that gives you step by step directions.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can tell you it was anything but easy. Web design may be easy, but it takes a lot of time and patience.

The most difficult part of the whole thing is getting members. I spent a lot of money on advertising to get this place going.

But it was all worth it. Most of the guys here are my friends in a sense. I spend a lot of time on AIM talking to a lot of ppl. Feel free to IM me. If I don’t respond it’s because I am using a computer from work or other places w/o AIM.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 PM

almost forgot about this thread...

got your PM, will IM!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:29 PM

http://www.vbulletin.com/
Old 01-31-2006, 12:40 AM

It's a matter of type of car though, consider that almost all auto enthusiast forums are built to facilitate the sportiest, fastest, and best looking model or trim out of a bunch... that's why this place is Cobalt "SS" .net, and not Cobalt.net.

You have a car (which looks very nice, I like Ions alot) that the general car public doesn't consider to be in the list of top enthusiast cars... The Ion 4 door is very much a family car, no matter what you do to it... It will be difficult to get a Booming response to opening an Ion 4 door forum, although I'm sure that there are others like you who enjoy the car as much as you do.

Anyways, it'll be cool to see an Ion 4 door site, things like that open up aftermarket and interest in the car, if it is done right.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM

I don't want a site just for sedans...I want a site for the WHOLE Ion community...this site may be called cobaltss.net but there are just as many 2.2's on here as there are 2.0's. Thats what I'm looking for with the Ion community. I know there are a lotta guys like me out there that are just roaming the boards without a central location to go and thats a shame.

Plus, I just came from the contour community before this car...if they can stlill provide a more active community than the Ion community and not have had a car produced since 2000 then there is a problem.