South Central TX, OK, AR, and LA

Inspection for Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inspection for Texas

Alright after owning my LNF for one year it's time for inspection. So far the only thing I can think of that might cause some complications is possibly the ZZP catted downpipe. I also have HID's on my stocker headlights (gonna get retrofits soon). I already know that my K2 tail lights won't allow me to pass since they already told me that there too "Dark". Oh yeah I have to the top of my front windshield tinted. The inspection folks also told me that the tint has to be within 5 inches and measuring it, it's about 4 1/2. They don't have emissions test in my county but they do look underneath the car so I'm a little worried about what there gonna say. The previous owner inspected the car with the tint and told me they didn't mind it, but of course that was in Dallas TX. It's always different from state, city and county. Just wondering if I need to worry about anything else besides being "Tuned"
Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you live outside of the major city's in texas and they do not do emissions test then you shouldn't have much to worry about it's a safety only test which most people just don't care about find the most rinky-dink testing place you can find and they'll probably just take your money and give you a sticker I've had 3 different classic vehicles here in Texas always safety only and never a problem
Mines due this month also not gonna lie ima little worried aswell though my car is bone stock so I shouldnt have anything to worry about
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by LNFTX
If you live outside of the major city's in texas and they do not do emissions test then you shouldn't have much to worry about it's a safety only test which most people just don't care about find the most rinky-dink testing place you can find and they'll probably just take your money and give you a sticker I've had 3 different classic vehicles here in Texas always safety only and never a problem
Mines due this month also not gonna lie ima little worried aswell though my car is bone stock so I shouldnt have anything to worry about
That's true yeah I live outside of Austin TX and in the past well when I owned a 2.4L I didn't have any issues with passing. I've done some work to my LNF already but I think it shouldn't matter like your saying. I don't if it's just the place where I took but they seem to be trying to go by city standards as much as possible. In the past they just took the vehicle out for a spin, make sure your lights work and that's it lol. That's awesome bro I have a buddy of mine that owns a 72 Trans AM and he always passes with flying colors in city. Emissions is a pain in the rear if you ask me. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that because my E47 tune runs on the rich side I think yours bone stock you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you go to a place that does a majority of inspections as their primary job, then yeah you're going to fail (specifically for the downpipe). That or if you go to a place who's inspector does a thorough job.

Generally, all they're going to do is check the brakes, make sure there are no big cracks on the windshields, you have all your mirrors, and nothing looks out of place. Then they'll hook up an OBDII scanner and check your readiness monitors. If two of your monitors are not ready (or you have the MIL light on) you fail.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
if you go to a place that does a majority of inspections as their primary job, then yeah you're going to fail (specifically for the downpipe). That or if you go to a place who's inspector does a thorough job.

Generally, all they're going to do is check the brakes, make sure there are no big cracks on the windshields, you have all your mirrors, and nothing looks out of place. Then they'll hook up an OBDII scanner and check your readiness monitors. If two of your monitors are not ready (or you have the MIL light on) you fail.
I mean I know I'm trifecta tuned and some codes have been tuned out. I'm assuming it's those some OBII scanners that autozone uses lol.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 287 Likes on 265 Posts
All you have to worry about is if you have a check engine light on. If not, you will pass. You are OBDII so you will not go on the sniffer. Besides, they never even pop my hood.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by redcobalt08
All you have to worry about is if you have a check engine light on. If not, you will pass. You are OBDII so you will not go on the sniffer. Besides, they never even pop my hood.
True, and already passed lol. I appreciate everyone's help
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 287 Likes on 265 Posts
Good deal!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats!