South Pacific CA, NV, and HI

Moving to So Cal...Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to So Cal...Few Questions

Ok, so I might be moving to southern California sometime next year (not sure exactly where yet). I have a few dumb questions for you all since I've lived in Indiana my whole life.

Being that my car was delivered to Indiana and the emission laws are setup differently, how will that affect me when I take it in for smog tests? Would I need to add an air pump to my car? How often are the tests ran?

What is the lowest percentage for tint? Mine is 20% (illegal), but I wasn't sure if they would care about the back windows being darker than the fronts. I can change the tint before I move.

How strict are the laws for vehicle modifications? I never planned on going crazy with my exhaust, making my car stick out like a sore thumb appearance-wise, or illegally racing my car/driving like a complete tool. Wasn't sure how bad they were about visible aftermarket gauges and aftermarket stainless steel exhaust (header and dp only with cat).

What's the highest average octane at gas stations? I need to know this so I can run it in my car now and tune it with that particular octane.

Are front license plates required?

And lastly, where do all the cool Cobalt owners hang out??

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just trying to get a feel for things before I move. I've heard of people keeping their cars registered in other states to avoid these things, but I'm not so sure that is legal. I might have more questions later, so I will hit you guys up when I do.

Thanks!!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 PM

they say front plates required but its up to you, i havent had one on the car since i bought mine new in 07
Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_1988
they say front plates required but its up to you, i havent had one on the car since i bought mine new in 07
Good. I may just run my current plate out there until it expires.

Last edited by Mr_Slobalt; 12-16-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:17 PM

happen to have a guess when nxt year? we have the las vegas meet next year in may as far as cool spots mostly everyone lives down by orange. it depends on the area as far as octane level is ive seen as high as 93 in like two spots i dont remember where exactly
Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tint...do what you want but you might get a ticket for it, I have 12%. Everything is pretty much illegal to do to your car lol but again...if you don't get pulled over and if they don't look for anything you'll be fine. Carb legal things are always good too. Sadly we only get 91 octane, front license plates are required but my camaro never had one on it for 4 years, and my car doesn't have one, but I did get a ticket for it. We try to accomodate everyone and have meets in various locations.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM

i just noticed where you are from... bukkake indiana... lol...

thank god your moving to socal.. jk

but emissions should be set, they will probably ask for smog of the car when you get here so you can get plates.

highest octane is 91... some stations serve 100... but its like 9 dollars a gallon...

any window tint in front is illegal, but they are pretty relax about it... only thing expect them to call you out on it if you get pulled over for speeding.

front plates required...

and the cobalt owners... cool??? lol depends... every cobalt owner thinks he or she is cool.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
91octane is the highest at gas stations, tint, exhaust, whatever it all depends on the cop as u can always cruise when u see them or roll your windows down and they dont bother, i live in riverside and i just keep my eyes peeled for cops as my exhaust is loud, but i have my front plate and medium tint, black cobalt

im not sure about smog testing if u have a cat it should be cool, i wont know till like 2011, and i got the stock full exhaust in the garage if needed haha
Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Slobalt
Ok, so I might be moving to southern California sometime next year (not sure exactly where yet). I have a few dumb questions for you all since I've lived in Indiana my whole life.

Being that my car was delivered to Indiana and the emission laws are setup differently, how will that affect me when I take it in for smog tests? Would I need to add an air pump to my car? How often are the tests ran?test are usually ran every 3 years or so. it shouldnt be a problem

What is the lowest percentage for tint? Mine is 20% (illegal), but I wasn't sure if they would care about the back windows being darker than the fronts. I can change the tint before I move. lowest tint % is 75 in the front. limo is allowed in the back windows. most of us have illegal tint. and just run with our windows down around cops

How strict are the laws for vehicle modifications? I never planned on going crazy with my exhaust, making my car stick out like a sore thumb appearance-wise, or illegally racing my car/driving like a complete tool. Wasn't sure how bad they were about visible aftermarket gauges and aftermarket stainless steel exhaust (header and dp only with cat).EVERYONE here prettymuch runs catless. cops really never check. they can be bitches but its not hard to trick cops here in cali. GM performance division. i tell the cops my car is all gm performance division (because of my charge piping) usually works. there are so many riced out cars. ur car will b fine.

What's the highest average octane at gas stations? I need to know this so I can run it in my car now and tune it with that particular octane. 91 sadly. no 93 yet. run meth and you will get ur higher octane from that. thats what i plan to do

Are front license plates required?sadly yes. but they do make hideaway flip out front license plate. ask HB SS/TC about that

And lastly, where do all the cool Cobalt owners hang out?? everywhere man. lol. we meet at least once a month. all over so cal. just keep up on regionals

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just trying to get a feel for things before I move. I've heard of people keeping their cars registered in other states to avoid these things, but I'm not so sure that is legal. I might have more questions later, so I will hit you guys up when I do.

Thanks!!
welcome to so cal. let us know where u move man. its always fun.

no snow tires. no new rims. just great weather all the time. lol
Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 PM

heres the deal.......everything that has to do with mods are illegal here lol
Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 PM

if your going to register the car in kali
you need to take it to
weight staition
smog
well thats what i have to do to get my s10
registered in kali.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks for all of the responses!!

I will know within the next few weeks if, when, and where I'll be moving. I'll update this thread when I know for sure!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 AM

for sure man.

i get to take my car in now
Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJEjskx6MY