Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Alignment off? Suspension settling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment off? Suspension settling?

So... the alignment is slightly off on my new SS/SC. I went by the dealer and the service girl said she can't do an alignment until 3000 miles b/c "the suspension is settling." Driving around with the alignment out for 3000 miles isn't gonna be good for my tires.

Now I think that's a total load of crap. I've never had a vehicle where the alignment was out from the factory, and I've never heard of a stock suspension having to settle. I mean, after my car was made... transported here to NC... and sat on the dealer lot for who knows how long. I'd think it's had plenty of time to "settle."

Am I wrong here, should I fuss until they align it anyways... or what?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 AM

Mine was the same way and the dealer did do the allignment but it was still out after they did it. And they charged me for it. I dont think its covered under warranty. But after i dropped my car i had it done else where and now its fine. So i would say go to another place that does it. I used firestone to do mine. They even gave me a print out of the allignment and showed that it was way out from the dealer. Hope that helps.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM

I think my alignment might be slighty off as a result of my strut bar install. I'd take it to the dealer but I don't want to hear a song and dance about warranty blah blah.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:07 PM

So... all these views and only 2 replies. Come on... someone that really knows suspension setups tell me something!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Bump....
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM

The alignment can be messed up from shipping. If the truck driver cranked down on the chains too much it can mess things up. I would talk to the service manager and if that's no goos talk to the general manager. Suspension settling sounds like B.S. to me.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Bump... anyone else?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:37 PM

The suspension does have to settle, but not for 3,000 miles. You go back at 3,000 miles and they will say "How do we know you didn't do something to knock it out". Talk to the service manager. Also, what makes you say your alignment is off? These cars are set real close to 0 toe and they will wander if the road is crowned or something. You do not want them to dial in more toe. That will affect tire wear.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:54 PM

thanks for the reply...

I say my alignment is off b/c wherever I drive... no matter what road.. or what direction... I have to hold the wheel slightly to the left of center. If I actually center the wheel so it is completely horizontal the car will pull to the right. Call me picky if you want to... it's not steering off by much... but it's enough that I can notice.

I was able to release the wheel on my 2.4 for extended periods of time... and the car would track straight as an arrow. This new SS/SC is pulling gradually to the right.

Personally I think the service department at the dealer I got the car from are just a bunch of idiots. They give me that line about the alignment and suspension... and then tell me they can't find the part number for the lower grille I want, that it isn't sold seperately.

I come home, jump on here... and bam... there's the part number I'm after. That's why I posted up the suspension part too. Figured someone out there would know something.

I don't even wanna think what they're gonna say when I ask about Stage 2 in a couple of months.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
tio

Suspension settling for 3,000 miles in complete bullshit ! If you run a car with the alignment out for 500 miles (if it is bad enough) you may scrub your tires off completely.
1) Toe-in/toe-out is set/adjusted with tie rod ends. Tie rod ends do not need to settle.
2) Wheel camber is not affected by "settling either (FYI if you drop your car this should be checked and adjusted if needed).

If your car is new ask/tell your dealer you want your car put on an alignment rack and you want a copy of the computer print out showing the actual measurements and the tolerances. During their inspection they should be checking for bent loose tie rods,stuts ect.
They atleast owe you the courtesy of checking your front end.

I would also suggest that you ask/tell them that you would like that "3000 mile waiting period bullshit" put in writing. Explain that you want it so that should you have an accident due to poor steering you will be able to show it to the DOT. Cover your ass, start a paper trail !

Lecture over, back to reading posts for a couple more weeks
Old 07-14-2006, 11:23 PM

SilverStreak, what you described above is that your zero degree steering angle is off. High tech words I know, but what that means is that when you are going straight down the road, your steering wheel should be in the straight ahead orientation and that on your car it is not. Then you indicated that when you let go of the wheel, it drifts to the right (always to the right?). That would be an alignment issue. I would suggest that you not take no for an answer if you are convinced that there is an issue. Also, make sure that you have them fixing the correct problem. If you have both a zero degree steering angle issue and an alignment issue, then there are two things you need them to work on. Both can be addressed with a toe adjustment most likely. Maybe your car went through the alignment rack at the assembly plant just before lunch.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:13 PM

do our cars need a 4 wheel alignment?