Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

best rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best rotors

WHat are the best kind of rotors and brakes, by rotors i mean slotted, or cross drilled.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM

It may depend on who you talk to. A lot of engineers will say that you need neither and that it's more for looks. However, I do believe I've also heard people mention that slotted are better.

Really, I doubt it matters.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by goaliedude66630
WHat are the best kind of rotors and brakes, by rotors i mean slotted, or cross drilled.
I had the dreaded SS Shake in my stock fronts, and then changed to GMPP drilled and slotted with stock SS pads. The front left warped after a month or so with a terrible brake shudder. I then bought PowerSlots (which I had good luck with on a previous Grand Am) and EBC Redstuff. These work much better.

HOWEVER...

When we were changing from the GMPP to the PowerSlots, we found that the front left rotor would wiggle behind the wheel. The wheel is supposed to clamp the rotor in place. In my car's case, the center hub was just slightly too big, allowing the wheel to be cinched down to full lug torque without ever really clamping the rotor. We cleaned all the center hubs with a grinding wheel and lubed them with anti-seize before re-installing the wheels, and made sure all rotors were thoroughly clamped. The PowerSlots have performed flawlessly, but I'm not sure the GMPP's wouldn't have had we found that issue then.

I'm not sure there's any performance difference, on the street, between good slotted rotors, good drilled rotors, and good drilled/slotted rotors. I do believe any of these are better than slick rotors. Also, performance pads make more of a difference than the rotor. I recommend the EBC Redstuff and Hawk.

Another consideration is rust. The GMPPs are just stock rotors that have been drilled and slotted. They have no finish on them, and they rust just like stockers. The PowerSlots appear to be coated, and haven't shown the rust that the GMPPs do. This is a cosmetic thing, not a performance thing, but I don't like rusty hubs/rotors!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 AM

thanks guys

so powerslots rotors and edc redstuff or hawk pad. Any one else think anything is better.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM

Thats the combo I'm going for some time. PowerSlots and Hawk pads. Its what I had on my cavy, and they worked awesome.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
I had the dreaded SS Shake in my stock fronts, and then changed to GMPP drilled and slotted with stock SS pads. The front left warped after a month or so with a terrible brake shudder. I then bought PowerSlots (which I had good luck with on a previous Grand Am) and EBC Redstuff. These work much better.

HOWEVER...

When we were changing from the GMPP to the PowerSlots, we found that the front left rotor would wiggle behind the wheel. The wheel is supposed to clamp the rotor in place. In my car's case, the center hub was just slightly too big, allowing the wheel to be cinched down to full lug torque without ever really clamping the rotor. We cleaned all the center hubs with a grinding wheel and lubed them with anti-seize before re-installing the wheels, and made sure all rotors were thoroughly clamped. The PowerSlots have performed flawlessly, but I'm not sure the GMPP's wouldn't have had we found that issue then.

I'm not sure there's any performance difference, on the street, between good slotted rotors, good drilled rotors, and good drilled/slotted rotors. I do believe any of these are better than slick rotors. Also, performance pads make more of a difference than the rotor. I recommend the EBC Redstuff and Hawk.

Another consideration is rust. The GMPPs are just stock rotors that have been drilled and slotted. They have no finish on them, and they rust just like stockers. The PowerSlots appear to be coated, and haven't shown the rust that the GMPPs do. This is a cosmetic thing, not a performance thing, but I don't like rusty hubs/rotors!
Nice write up,but I have the upgraded GM rotors and I have been running them for four months and No rust,they are zinc coated and they also have much better looks and stopping power than the originals...plus these were done under warrenty=FREE